Fresh Blood with some questions.

How to join, advice, Q&A, general discussions
Whisky
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Fresh Blood with some questions.

Post by Whisky » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:08 pm

Firstly allow me to introduce myself; my name is Mike, better known as Whisky. I'm a huge fan of the Aliens franchise and of role playing. I'm one of the team responsible for the Aliens Killing Floor Mod. http://www.mostimpressive.nl/AKF

It was during the making of that mod when searching for more information on USCM weapons I came across the wiki you folks have which in turn led me to these boards. Now the mod has been released and I have some time I'm interested in getting involved with the RP you folks have going.

Before I jump in I'm going to take the time to read through the boards and previous campaigns so I've got an idea of what's going on but I thought I'd ask instead of assuming. ;)

Now I've never role played on a forum before so I'm unsure of quite how things work and if there are particular etiquette and terms I should be aware of. If someone would be kind enough to either point me in the direction of a resource or take the time to explain some of them I'd be indebted.

Also I'm aware that a campaign has only just started so I wouldn't expect to be able to join in until the next one but what is the average play time for a campaign?

At the moment that's all that comes to mind but I'm sure I'll find something else. :D

I look forward to enjoying a game with you.
Pvt. Thomas Colson
2nd Squad - Medic

Pale Rider
Major

Re: Fresh Blood with some questions.

Post by Pale Rider » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:18 pm

Let me be the first to welcome you to our humble little home away from home.
Roleplaying on a forum largely consists of using the existing writing and typing in your reaction. Any skill roles are done by the Moderator, GM, or Story Teller (whichever title you happen to prefer). The largest source of online RPGing in this community is to settle down and read previous campaigns. Create a character and go through bootcamp where you will learn how to play in this style of setting.

As far as etiquette goes here are a few things that I will recommend:
1) Limit your roleplaying of other people's characters. Occasionally you may have to do something simple like I did in my last post where I had one of my squad members join our unit at the table.
2) If the GM didn't mention it in his original setting post do one of the following:
a.) Don't add things that were not originally mentioned that would dramatically change the story.
b.) PM the GM when in doubt about issues.

Again welcome to the site. Some of the fellows who have been more actively involved over the past few years can add to what I have stated.

Pale Rider
aka
James Screaming Eagle

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:52 pm

Welcome to the board!

Don't worry, we´ll get you into it!

//Nick the GM
Site admin

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:39 pm

If your going to read older campaigns I'd suggest the more recent ones, namely because they're more relevant to what we're doing, and the people who are still here.
Image-SSG Allen Morse - Squad Leader
-3rd Bn, 2nd Reg, 1st Co, 8th Plt
- DEVIL DAWG
- M41A Pulse Rifle - M4 Pistol - Med Kit
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image

Whisky
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Whisky » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:52 am

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Having read through a couple of the campaigns I'm starting to see how things play out. And going through a 'bootcamp' sounds ideal.
Pvt. Thomas Colson
2nd Squad - Medic

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:15 pm

Fortunately I don't think that's gonna happen for you, bootcamp that is. Now I say fortunately because it takes a really long time to get through that and bootcamp is always filled with some of the least active people you can find. Also there aren't really enough people coming through to do that, and even if there was the last 2 times I've seen us try a bootcamp it wasn't finished due to lack of activity.

What we do isn't hard though, just follow our lead and you'll get the idea easy enough. You'll be a lot more satisfied if your actually in the campaign though. - I say just get your character in (make sure to title the file the character's name, so its easy to find it) and get on the ready line.
- DEVIL DAWG
Image Image Image Image

Whisky
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Whisky » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:42 am

Well on that note;
A charsheet has been uploaded. Whisky-ColsonT.pdf

Let me know what's next. ;)
Pvt. Thomas Colson
2nd Squad - Medic

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:37 pm

A skinny ass scout, hell he should run with me and Dirk since were the one's that have to do that shit most of the time anyway.

But Nick will probably check your sheet to make sure everything's good and probably throw you in in the next turn or two.
- DEVIL DAWG
Image Image Image Image

Return to “The Game”