Taking the lead

How to join, advice, Q&A, general discussions
Corporal Hicks
Major

Taking the lead

Post by Corporal Hicks » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:27 am

Pale Rider has agreed to let me take the lead on the next mission. I would like him to be a player again as we could certainly use him. As for my GMing, please feel free to give feedback and advice, do not pull any punches.

As for my style... My single biggest complaint with this game is that we know no characters will die. Anyone who does die has been idle so long that we've forgotten they were even with us. If I am GM I want to be able to kill characters, even player characters. What does the group think about that?
ImageSgtMaj. Danny Sykes - Platoon NCO
USCM Special Forces Recon Team
Serial Number: D26/TQ6.3.48412E9
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Whisky
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Re: Taking the lead

Post by Whisky » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:27 am

I have no objection to characters dying, as long as it's not to a cheap shot no chance of surviving.
Unless brought about by my own stupidity of course. If Colson attempted to long jump a 10m gap over acid I'd expect him to fall and die a very painful death.
If the dice are against me then the dice are against me.
Pvt. Thomas Colson
2nd Squad - Medic

Corporal Hicks
Major

Post by Corporal Hicks » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:27 pm

I don't mean picking people off left and right. I just think the doom dice should play a part in the game. I never wanted Roberts to die but knowing that he could theoretically die makes the whole game better because we all have higher stakes in it. That's just my viewpoint.

Pale Rider turned it around on me by saying i begged him not to kill Roberts when I became a GM. But it seems stupid to kill the oldest standing character on the site just because I'm switching off him for a little bit to GM. When Dirk got his head bit off it sucked for him, but it was like the most epic thing that ever happened! It made the game real for us.

Medic Guy
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Medic Guy » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:31 am

I agree with whiskey, as long as the kills are pretty legit I don't mind at all. Doesn't seem like we need to lose a real player each mission or anything. Potentially rather than killing some of the characters off, they could be sent on specialized training or assignment or punishment. This would allow them to disappear for a while and some of us could roleplay a different PC and eventually the character could come back from their training.
ImageCorporal Clint McKenna
Serial Number: L69/EA5.2.31782M9

Image Image Image

Pvt. Isabel Orozco - Rifleman; formerly of the U.S.S. Shiloh Marine Detachment, currently on public relations campaign.
Private Dave Halbert - unknown location

pants
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Post by pants » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:41 am

I like Medics idea of sending people away for training/assignment/punishment if people want to try out another character. As for dying, if the doom dice come up with your numbers I've got no problem with that. Sometimes random crap happens and you have to deal with it as best you can.
900 POSTS YO!

Corporal Hicks
Major

Post by Corporal Hicks » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:00 pm

Shout out to pants for being the longest standing player. His character Nick Steel was not only in the first campaign, but the first squad of Easy Eights ever assembled. This may have been covered elsewhere but to me it's pretty neat to have him with us again.

Medic Guy
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Medic Guy » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:40 am

Andromeda is a pretty good read as of turn 31.

Image Image Image

Pvt. Isabel Orozco - Rifleman; formerly of the U.S.S. Shiloh Marine Detachment, currently on public relations campaign.

Corporal Hicks
Major

Post by Corporal Hicks » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:17 am

I got to turn 10 of Andromeda then got distracted with one of my other games or something lol. I'm really glad we have the old campaigns still. I would love it if somebody typed them up into short stories some day. Of course that would be days of work for even one campaign, but I bet I put a good 24 hours into that wiki. I would be the best one to do it probably just because I have no life.

Ive been talking to Apachetear/Jacob Honeysett. The hope is he will be joining our campaign very soon as one of the NPCs (whom he created a month ago.) lucky the character isn't dead! Honeysett was the sergeant on my first three missions. He vanished into real life shortly before I did, sometime in 2008.

Sorry for the history lesson, or you're welcome to those who enjoyed it.

pants
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Post by pants » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:31 am

Yeah I think I was one of the earliest joiners as well. What a weird life I've lived.

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:53 pm

Yeah, thanks Pants! Awesome work.

I have had many laughs and nice moments through the years with this site. The first site was hosted in my warddrobe on an old Pentium desktop before migrating to a real server. The strange name is actually my Police school class name! 03 is the year and B2 is the class. It was registered as a site for us to share pictures with each other (remember this was in the very dawn of digital photography). When that was done I still had a years rent payed so I thought what the heck and moved the site online here. Thus it became 3rd battalion 2nd platoon. 8)

The reason I started the game once upon a time was twofold. I had been in the original USCMPBEM back in the late nineties with Chris Deale as GM and missed it. The second was that i needed an escape from reality as my mom was dying in cancer 05. She died in 06 and this site was what kept me busy during many late nights of thinking about life.

Just a short glimpse of background story.

Game on.

//Nick
Site admin

Corporal Hicks
Major

Post by Corporal Hicks » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:46 am

Nick, I'm really glad you made the game! It's entertained many of us over the years. I like to hear the history of it too.

Medic Guy
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Medic Guy » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:36 pm

Just finished reading the Andromeda campaign and it's a pretty good read. With Nick's permission I don't mind formatting it and posting it on the wiki assuming whiskey doesn't have an issue with it.

Image Image Image

Corporal Hicks
Major

Post by Corporal Hicks » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:31 pm

Go for it Medic! I did the Draconis, but formatting an entire campaign is quite an undertaking.

Medic Guy
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Medic Guy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:40 am

Agreed, when I finished the copy and paste into word changed it to 12 font and times new roman, it was around 570 pages give or take a couple dozen. I'm knocking out some spelling and grammatical stuff now as well as pulling some of the user stat info. Nick, pale, or honeycutt, the mission briefings and tracker image links don't function anymore, not sure if you have the original still or not.

A completed story might do some decent advertising on some of the writing sites or something, maybe some kind of freebie advertising or something if it won a contest.

Image Image Image

Whisky
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Whisky » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:51 pm

Medic Guy wrote:Just finished reading the Andromeda campaign and it's a pretty good read. With Nick's permission I don't mind formatting it and posting it on the wiki assuming whiskey doesn't have an issue with it.
Please do. And feel free to edit and build on the wiki if you have the inclination. It's all there for you guys to build on. =)
Pvt. Thomas Colson
2nd Squad - Medic

Return to “The Game”