M1T4 - Clammed up

The 8th campaign
Nick
Administrator
Administrator

M1T4 - Clammed up

Post by Nick » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:52 pm

2179 AD, 1st November
Location: Sol system, Earth, atlantic ocean, aboard the USS Arcana.

The Marines were painstakingly inserted into the heavily armored diving suits one by one. Despite what the marines first had thought they would not use the standard zero-g suits but a special hardsuit made of metal composites. The suits had a M41 pulse rifle attached to the right hand and a claw like device for grabbing things on the left hand side. The whole suit looked bulbous and extremely clumsy - The engineers that ran around certified that it would be much more agile once in the water. The Marines certainly hoped so as it was impossible to move above water - the suits hanging suspended in large hooks in the roof.

Once a marine was inserted to the suit he was brought over o the minisub and simply hung beneath it in another hook - The Marines were then put on rows one after the other under the subs. The suits had a normal self contained atmosphere and would have power and life support for 72 hours during extensive use and over 100 hours of minimal use. The helmet of each suit was a large plexiglass bubble that gave the marines quite good visibility in all directions except straight backwards and straight up. On each shoulder a light and a camera was mounted respectively. The suit also had a simple heads up display that showed remaining battery power, how many rounds were left in the pulse rifle and a simple crosshair that indicated were the weapon was aimed. The key to the suit was the battery, when it ran out the fans in th suit stopped and the closed air recycling system would shut down.

Jean and the Lieutenant would be inside the minisub and lead the operation from there together with submarine pilots from the navy.

<<actions>>
Attachments
usn3_20060807.jpg
usn3_20060807.jpg (36.08 KiB) Viewed 18028 times

Obi
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Re: M1T4 - Clammed up

Post by Obi » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:51 am

Hanging beneath the mini sub, Obi did not like this at all. This is, the worst idea in the history of worst ideas. Looking at the simple HUD checking that making sure the monitors were functioning correctly.

Keying his comm, Obi asked,

"So once we are in the station can we get out of the suits or what? And how the hell are we supposed to reload the rifle?"

I have a really bad feeling about this.
<tag Platoon>

Dirk Pitt
First Lieutenant

Post by Dirk Pitt » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:32 pm

"Now I know how bait feels" Dirk said over the comm as he hung under the mini-sub.
<Tag everyone>

He quickly ran through the suit's computer, making sure all was working well. At this depth he could swim up if somthing went bad, later he wouldn't be able to. As all warning lights turned green he relaxed and waited

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:35 am

As Morse was fitted inside of his suit he couldn't do anything but really comply. They were one by one lifted up on hooks and hung underneath some sort of water craft. Morse wasn't very big on the navy, but he discerned that it was some sort of submarine. He was right behind Dirk in the order on the hooks.

He started swinging back and forth and whistling 'Dixie' as they drug his hook forward. When it stopped, Morse didn't stop swinging. He kept forcing his weight forward and back just enough to make the suit swing. "This looks stupid." He said to himself, even though all around him could hear.

Then he heard Dirks comment on being swung like bait. He couldn't really argue, but the reference wasn't so funny considering that they were now essentially going to act as bait. "Hey Dirk, how you figure on livin' through a mission without smokin none a them cigarettes you done always carrying around? You even able to survive in a non smoke filled en-vi-ro-ment?" Morse asked smugly while still trying to swing himself back and forth. It was a legitimate question as far as he was concerned since Dirk probably had blacker lungs then a coal miner on the colonies.

< Tag Dirk

Altair
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Altair » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:52 am

Altair was fresh out of the academy, and straight way he was assigned to the third battalion. The boy didn’t even have the time to make his acquaintances. Reporting to his superiors he joined the rest of the marines and now found himself inside the suite like the rest of them hanging from the submarine.

The suite was uncomfortable to say the least but Altair knew that once they were in the water it would feel not so bulky. The boy did some training with the HARD suite and those two had some similarities at least in size. Not very comfortable with the controls, Altair left them alone for now. Cross hair was there and remaining battery power and rifle rounds were also displayed and for now it was enough.

Listening to comm chatter the boy remained silent. He decided to introduce himself after the mission was over. It seemed that these men and women were together for some time and Altair hoped that he would someday be part of this family but for now he preferred to keep to himself.

Jean
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Jean » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:05 pm

Jean fitted herself into the suit and started clamping the pressure seals down to make sure there would be no leaks. She tucked her hair into the back of the suit. Hearing what Morse was talking about, she smiled.

"It might be possible to bring regular diving suits with us, and program these suits to pressurize us for that depth. Since underwater habitats can't be pressurized with 29.9 pounds per square inch of atmosphere without imploding due to the pressure outside, it would be more practical to do this. That way, once we reach the habitat, we can take the suits off without dieing."

It was just something to offer up. Especially since any large underwater station would have to be pressurized with enough air to keep several tons of water from crushing the habitat like a beer can. That would mean that, the air pressure would be slightly higher than the water pressure at that depth within the habitat.

Jean couldn't help but be scientifically minded and this made sense to her. Plus, taking off the suits once inside the research habitat would give the marines a larger field of view. Of course, this was all up to the commander, so she made sure that everyone was within earshot of her comment.

Dirk Pitt
First Lieutenant

Post by Dirk Pitt » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:55 pm

Morse wrote:.
Then he heard Dirks comment on being swung like bait. He couldn't really argue, but the reference wasn't so funny considering that they were now essentially going to act as bait. "Hey Dirk, how you figure on livin' through a mission without smokin none a them cigarettes you done always carrying around? You even able to survive in a non smoke filled en-vi-ro-ment?" Morse asked smugly while still trying to swing himself back and forth. It was a legitimate question as far as he was concerned since Dirk probably had blacker lungs then a coal miner on the colonies.

< Tag Dirk

"I don't know Morse, I never thought man should be without a smoke for any amount of time". Dirk joked "Don't worry though. If I go crazy from lack of cigaretts you'll be the first to know"
<Tag Morse>

maxvale76
Chief Warrant Officer 3

Post by maxvale76 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:48 pm

Sam was not happy being "loaded" into the diving suit and then hooked up to the botom of the submarine as it made her feel like a piece of meat dangling on a hook. Hearing SGT Pitt echo her thoughts a moment later made her lip turn up in a grim grin.

Making sure she could still somewhat move her arms and that her weapon was in good, working condition, Samantha closed her eyes and said a quiet prayer that this insane mission would turn out okay for her and her fellow marines...

pants
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Post by pants » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:26 am

Gordon hadn't said anything when the briefing was going on mainly because he didn't want to draw attention to himself. He was nervous as hell about being jammed into the deep diving suit but he was confident that his training would see him through.

Once he was hung up with the rest of the platoon his nerves got the better of him and he blurted out the first thing that came into his head.

"So umm has anyone done this before? I mean the whole deep sea diving thing. I once went snorkelling with my folks but this is definitely not the same kind of thing. Oh yeah I should probably introduce myself. I'm Gordon but my friends call me Flash after this old movie dude," babbled Gordon over the platoon frequency.

"So umm who's my squad leader? I mean I know but I can't quite remember at the moment. You think we are gonna see any sharks down there?"

<Tag Platoon>

Apachetear
Second Lieutenant

Post by Apachetear » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:35 am

Looking out of his bubble at the other marines suspended from hooks around the place, Jacob started to laugh inside his suit - a laugh born of nerves and fear as well as humour.

"We all look so fuckin' ridiculous! I doubt anything will attack us because they wont be able to work out just what we are!"

As his laughs turned into coughs (as they invariably did these days)...he started looking through the HUD display to see if everything was in working order...

pants
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Post by pants » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:43 am

Apachetear wrote:"We all look so fuckin' ridiculous! I doubt anything will attack us because they wont be able to work out just what we are!"
Gordon tried to look at the guy that was talking but gave it up when he couldn't figure out who it was.

"You think so? I thought we looked kind of badass, like some kind of robot knights or something," replied Gordon.

In a fake robotic voice he added, "Umm we are here to kick ass and calculate your destruction!"

Dugan
First Lieutenant

Post by Dugan » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:39 pm

Simovic felt very claustrophobic after being squeezed into the diving suit and that combined with being placed hanging beneath a submarine fully submerged in water was beginning to freak him out. He decided to try and relax and tried to control his breathing to stop himself hyperventilating or worse. He then focused on the mission at hand and started running over the briefing. Only then did he become aware of the comms chatter.
Obi wrote: "So once we are in the station can we get out of the suits or what? And how the hell are we supposed to reload the rifle?"

I have a really bad feeling about this.
<tag Platoon>
Simovic answered the young Marine who was swinging around on his hook some where behind him.

"Yeah Obi just stay in your suit until we get a definite all clear. I'm not sure about reloading these weapons with a claw but if I work it out I’ll be sure to pass it on, if I'm still alive”

He then held up his claw and flexed the useless hunk of metal while laughing. Hoping to god that they wouldn't get into a fight while in the suits and he'd need to work it out.

<Tag Obi>

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:45 pm

OOC: No reload, 95 rounds only.

Quinn
First Lieutenant

Post by Quinn » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:46 pm

Sixtus was set into the hooks, and he couldn't stop thinking about how vulnerable he was in this setup. He set his pulse rifle to semi-automatic to conserve ammuniton.

"First squad, set rifles to semi-auto. Conserve ammunition until we get to a place where we can reload." Sixtus said over the squad's comnet."Sarge, we're in a very vulnerable position here with us exposed like this. I don't like it..."

<tag First squad>

pants
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Post by pants » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:09 am

Being possibly unable to reload his weapon made Gordon pretty damn nervous. He flicked the weapon selector to single fire and promised himself that he was going to make every shot count.

Return to “USCM 2.0 - Hell On Earth Campaign”