Turn 4: Turning Marines into Rats

The fourth mission
Quinn
First Lieutenant

Re: Turn 4: Turning Marines into Rats

Post by Quinn » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:54 pm

Quinn was looking over some satellite footage when Dirk walked in. "I don't like the lack of close air right now either. Good job on the APC by the way." he said absentmindedly. He kept staring at the recon photos, the dark splotch of the hive directly in the center.

"She's smarter than the others were. Or we just kept catching the others off guard. Not sure which is worse..." he muttered. "She fights like a by the book butterbar, but has some of the second-best troops in this galaxy."

He tapped on the photo. "But if we go knocking on her front door, we're walking into her territory where she and her troops are familiar with the ground and we know next to nothing about it. That's a recipe for suicide."

Quinn switched to a photo of the corporate compound. "But there might be something here we can use. Maybe a toxin or a gas we can find. CN20 if we're damn lucky. What are your thoughts on this?"

<tag Dirk>
Current Gear
M42A Scope Rifle
M4A4 .45 ACP caliber Sidearm, Suppressed
Combat Knife
K52 Medical Kit
Flashlight, Flares (6)
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Dirk Pitt
First Lieutenant

Post by Dirk Pitt » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:31 pm

"Thank you sir" Dirk said about the APC repair.

As Quinn spoke Dirk nodded in agreement. A frontal assault would be akin to suicide. Looking over the satellite photo for a few moments his mind sought any way in that wasn't a ambush waiting to happen. Finding none he grunted in dissatisfaction.

"CN20 would be good, and the APC is fitted with a delivery system that should keep us out of harms way." He said thinking about how close they would have to get to deploy the gas. Even with the launchers he didn't like the distance. "Those things can cover a lot of ground, fast. If the gas doesn't work then we'll be exposed and loose the element of surprise, one of the only things we have going for us at this point. The civilian should know more about what hurts these fuckers, what gas may work on them. I suggest we question her about it."
<Tag Quinn>
Cpl Dirk Pitt
First squad leader

Gear
Pulse Rifle w/ 4 grenades, 8 canister shells
M1911 Colt .45 caliber Sidearm
Smoke Grenade x2
KBAR Combat Knife
Portable Welder
Ithaca Shotgun

Non Combat Equipment
Zippo lighter
Cigarettes

eyeball
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by eyeball » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:04 pm

after the madness of the landing then the sudden assault the following two weeks of nothing had been almost unbearable, thank god oh and Morse for "coffee aid". Eyeball liked to think of it it that way because to drink it neat was like removing you throat lining, and the "coffee" well best use that word lightly to describe what they were drinking, it could use all the help it could get.

occ. sorry for delay work and plain old forgetfulness.

Quinn
First Lieutenant

Post by Quinn » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:46 am

Quinn nodded at Dirk's suggestions. "Alright Sergeant, you go question the pretty scientist lady and I'll go run some tests on the APC. You're better at spotting any bullshit that she could concoct. Also, see if we can't get Dr. Oksana back out here, we could use her expertise at finding anything in that lab."

Having expertly passed the buck with a grinning face, the Lieutenant grabbed his oxygen mask and walked out to the APC to run the diagnostics. Being the only one cleared on the stupid thing was a pain in the ass most of the time, but it had it's benefits...
Current Gear
M42A Scope Rifle
M4A4 .45 ACP caliber Sidearm, Suppressed
Combat Knife
K52 Medical Kit
Flashlight, Flares (6)
Image Image Image

Obi
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Obi » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:14 am

Pulse rifle rested across his knees Obi sat on an old crated that he ha situated on top of the fortifications. From this position he looked out over the perimeter into the cleared 'kill zone.' It had been two weeks since the last Xenomorph attack and since then Obi had 'claimed' this position as his when he had to active tasks to achieve. The behaviour of the Xeno's in the last attack had really unnerved Obi. The way they had coordinated their attack clearing indicated something more than animalistic instinct. As far as Obi was concerned those things were intelligent, more intelligent than humans thought and that worried him. Since then he had taken to this position to sit here and read his PADD or just have quiet time to reflect.

The sound of boots on mud made Obi look down over his shoulder. "Hey Sam, how goes it?" Obi called out as he resumed his gaze over the perimeter.

<tag Sam>
CPL Mike "Obi" O'Brien
Communications Operator

Pale Rider
Major

Post by Pale Rider » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:19 am

The Snakefighter roared in over the horizon and landed within the compound. Bringing with it supplies as well as the fresh meat and Dr. Oksana.
GM

Image Image Image

Dirk Pitt
First Lieutenant

Post by Dirk Pitt » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:52 pm

[quote="Quinn"]Quinn nodded at Dirk's suggestions. "Alright Sergeant, you go question the pretty scientist lady and I'll go run some tests on the APC. You're better at spotting any bullshit that she could concoct. Also, see if we can't get Dr. Oksana back out here, we could use her expertise at finding anything in that lab."
/quote]

"Not a problem sir. I'll have my bullshit detector on full power." He said, grinning.
<Tag Quinn>

As Dirk was about to leave he heard the Snake fighter come over the office on it's way to land. The replacements were here, as well as Dr. Oksana.

"I'll pick up the doctor at the snake fighter and get Morse to get to boots that we are getting into the routine." Dirk said as he was walking out.
<Tag Quinn>

Walking out of the office Dirk headed for the wall, knowing Morse would be there. "Morse, you shit bag. What are you doing? Up to no good no doubt. Get over to the Snakefighter and gather up the boots. Brief them and send them to me later so they can get into a squad." He said jokingly to his old friend.
<Tag Morse>

Then walking over to Sam he leaned over so no one could hear. "Bring the W.Y. civilian to my hooch. We are going to be hitting the outpost, soon. She'll know if CN20 or something like it will work."
<Tag Sam>

Moving to the Snakefighter he waited until Dr Oksana got off. Dirk gave her a smile as she disembarked the ship, the scars that he had gotten over the years ruining the once hansom face."Good to have you back Doctor. I hope all is well." He said. "I need your help in my office."
<Tag Dr. Oksana>
Cpl Dirk Pitt
First squad leader

Gear
Smoke Grenade x2
KBAR Combat Knife
Portable Welder
Ithaca Shotgun

Non Combat Equipment
Zippo lighter
Cigarettes

taimdala
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by taimdala » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:59 am

((OOC: Whew! Long spell where I was gone. Morse pinged me I was up. I just got back home and I'm free to play. Thanks for your patience, everyone!))
Dirk Pitt wrote: Moving to the Snakefighter he waited until Dr Oksana got off. Dirk gave her a smile as she disembarked the ship, the scars that he had gotten over the years ruining the once hansom face."Good to have you back Doctor. I hope all is well." He said. "I need your help in my office."
<Tag Dr. Oksana>

"It's good to see you again, Sergeant," Oksana said as she stepped off the ramp.

It wasn't empty social noise. She was sincerely glad to see a face she knew, happy the man had survived. What she'd learned when they'd debriefed Kalina Jones immediately after the assault--well, that didn't bode well for the Marine's continued survival. Having to leave them behind while she returned to the relative safety of the main facility, that didn't sit well with her. She'd worried for the balance of her time away, was oddly elated and apprehensive when the call came for her to go back to the fire base. What would she find when she arrived? She'd surveyed the area as best she could from the Snakefighter but nothing could beat actually putting her boots on the ground and smelling the air, seeing the reality of the place reflected in the Marine's expressions. It told her much, but the important points were covered: they were surviving and would continue to survive ... but the current situation needed to change, lest they go mad from boredom and uncertainty.

"As far as things being well, I'm here to help." She had her bag slung at her side, packed with things she suspected she might need. There was no telling if she'd suspected correctly without further data. She gave the Marine a tight-lipped smile and nodded. "Lead on."

<TAG Dirk>
<TAG Anybody in the area, really>
ImageCpl. Dmitri Mikhailovich Barayev
Current Gear
Light Armor
M41A Rifle + 2 clips
VP70 Pistol + 2 clips
Knife
8 grenades
Entrenching Tool
Image Image

"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:46 am

Morse had moved from one of his trench holes up towards the outer wall. The marines had an uncanny ability to set up fortifications in record time. The metallic structure was just composed of lightweight alloy pieces that were linked together to form a large outer wall. They could handle bullets and shrapnel without issue, could withstand very high temperatures, and were even resistant to explosives.

For most situations that was far beyond enough. But the new enemy that they were facing put the latest rendition of Hadrian’s specialty to the test. The xenomorphs could scale them like it was nothing, and their blood burned right through it. So even if you shot one off the wall, it would still put a fine hole in it. Still a wall with diminished use was better then no wall at all.

He looked up when he thought he heard a familiar sound, like the row end rumble of an engines exhaust. There was only one thing that could be.

”Thank the almighty fer the gift she brings!” Morse called out as he saw the immense Snakefighter come over head.

For some reason his opinion on it had changed for the moment. Normally he started to think of how much he hated how small it was, and that it had such a limited capacity. But for the moment, seeing its large power and knowing the cargo it carried just gave him a sense of hope.

He got down off the wall and slung his M41A pulse rifle over his shoulder. Already by the time he began moving Dirk was coming up to his right. When asked what he was doing, Morse prepared a quick answer.

”Figurin’ on how much threatenin’ I may gotta do to get the pilot to take us outa here. Dead Shots is straight figurative, aint nothin’ we wanna actually live up to by stayin’ round here.” Morse obviously had no real plan of desertion, but he kept his usual theme of wanting to leave wherever they were.

< Tag Dirk

He then called out to his squad. ”Eyeball! Coleslaw! Up’n’up! Got shit to pull! Snake-a-clause done brought us presents!” Morse yelled out, making clear reference to the Snakefighter dropship.

< Tag 2nd Squad

Morse quickly grabbed up a few loaded magazines he had sitting around and started moving over to the FTL (Faster Than Light). He was a bit away behind Dirk, and managed to get a view of someone familiar.

Morse recognized the civilian advisor they had from when they first set down on the planet. Hopefully this portion of their three month mission would go smoother then the first part when they met her.

”Our favorite Ruski Resident done come to visit us.” Morse said aloud walking by them. Not entirely speaking to Dirk or the Doctor. He was just being his usual crass self, and using a time honored slur for someone’s background. ”Aint it a fun day.”

He got up to the cargo bay of the ship, and called out.

”Alright new fucks! Step it off!” He yelled. ”Lotsa shit to learn n’ do n’ I’m movin’ quick!” Morse stepped up the ramp a bit more. ”Now start off loadin’ this fucker!” Morse concluded, giving the first order to move the equipment off of the massive dropship.

< Tag New People
Image-SSG Allen Morse - Squad Leader
-3rd Bn, 2nd Reg, 1st Co, 8th Plt
- DEVIL DAWG
- M41A Pulse Rifle - M4 Pistol - Med Kit
Image Image Image Image

eyeball
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by eyeball » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:30 am

”Thank the almighty fer the gift she brings!”
"Amen to that!" eyeball replied as the snake fighter flew over and landed.
”Eyeball! Coleslaw! Up’n’up! Got shit to pull! Snake-a-clause done brought us presents!”
"sweet prezzies, i hope sheis blonde with huge...." eyeball never finished his sentence as he had turned round whilst talking and following Morse, he made eye contact with DR Oksana, felt embarrassed and just let the rest drift away.
”Alright new fucks! Step it off! Lotsa shit to learn n’ do n’ I’m movin’ quick! Now start off loadin’ this fucker!”
wow was it really only two weeks since he had heard that himself, eyeball shrugged, shit happens fast and dirty when your in the corp. he walked past Morse straight faced, grabbed a trolley and started unloading.
ImageLCpl. Robert Paulson
incinerator, 2 spare fuel bottles, motion detector, first aid kit, pistol, knife, 2 frag.
special weapons tech
Image Image

maxvale76
Chief Warrant Officer 3

Post by maxvale76 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:45 am

Sam smiled at the Austrailian Marine as she walked by and he greeted her. "Hey there Obi!"; she was about to say more when Dirk swung by and gave her some orders to find the Corporate lady they had saved. "Roger that Top"; she said to Dirk; using an age-old term for the highest ranked NCO in a unit.

"Talk to you later mate"; she said in a terrible fake Aussie accent to O'brien as she went to collect the Corporate lady per orders.

<Tag Dirk and Obi>
ImageSGT Samantha "Sam" Hall

M41A Pulse Rifle

MarcusOTerra
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by MarcusOTerra » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:49 pm

A man had walked off the snake fighter, in time with a bark from a man who looked like he had more muscle than brains. Sal'd learned the hard way that those assumptions got you few 'friends'.

Plus, if the brief of this bog was anything to go by, he'd need all the friends he could get. Still. There was on thing that he couldn't believe.

"It smells worse than the mines." He laughed aloud. He pulled off his helmet to wipe the sweat off his bald head. In fact there was no hair on him at all. No beard, no mustache, no eyebrows, nothing. His slightly sunken eyes didn't help detract from the 'lizard look' his face had.

He turned and grabbed hold of a stack of turret ammo crates and lifted with his legs and kept himself balanced down the ramp. He cast a look around to see what the area around him was like, and get a better feel for the people there.

<Roll Awareness>
Salazar 'Salamander' Boothe: 'Private', 'Medic', 'Marine'.
Load out: As Turn Two of Watch Dog
Pulse Rifle: Clip loaded +4 on person.
1 Field Surgery Kit
3 First aid Kits
4 smoke grenades
Breather Mask.

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:54 pm

As quickly as Morse could, he began to look over the people in front of him. There was never anything to be entirely impressed by. Most people tended to forget that the Colonial Marines were still just normal people. The difference being that they were the most highly trained and best equipped fighters in the galaxy. Still this group did nothing to stand out at all.

"Fresh fucks." Morse muttered to himself as it was the only explanation for it. After a certain amount of time, most started to stand out. Morse was not as muscular as he was when he joined. His uniforms not nearly as unique with his additions or writing. His weapon was smaller. Now he was one of the most easily identifiable in the unit.

Morse started to run through the basics. "Aint got a shred a knowin' what they told you commin' here, but there's simple shit to live by. When you are in the compound yer good to breath. When you leave the niceties a what's in our good'n sealed space, you gotsa wear yer breathe mask." Morse did not quite start helping at the moment, he still had some basics to run through. "And while yer kickin' here in this deployment on shitty as Ekyl," He made reference to Ekylprillion. "Yer gonna be carryin' a rifle'r better at all times." Morse concluded.

He could handle the description of their enemy in a moment. For now they had equipment to move. And as he started Morse got a look at one of the marines. He did not know him at all, but he hardly looked human. He was much taller then Morse, and had not a shred of hair on his head. He was easily the weirdest looking one there. "Holy shit." Morse said lookin' at him. "Sector Command better not'a sent us a goddamn robot." Morse said, realistically unsure if this person was a robot or not. "You aint a robot is ya?" Morse asked the tall marine with a revealed distaste for even the word.

< Tag Salazar
Image-SSG Allen Morse - Squad Leader
-3rd Bn, 2nd Reg, 1st Co, 8th Plt
- DEVIL DAWG
- M41A Pulse Rifle - M4 Pistol - Med Kit
Image Image Image Image

MarcusOTerra
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by MarcusOTerra » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:41 pm

Salazaar had set the boxes down on a pile while the loud marine sounded off about basic survival. The mask issue was one he'd not been informed on coming down the pipe. He'd need to scrounge for a breathing kit.

"Typical. Can't be bothered to tell us that before we crack atmo." What if they'ed crashed outside the safe zone? They'd all be breathing toxic gas in no time. Lovely.

Soon the marine turned toward Sal, and asked if he was a robot. As a point of explaining, Sal took out his knife and pressed it into the pad of his thumb, pricking the skin. He held out the thumb so the marine could see the red dot.

"Fuck no." Sal punctuated the gesture with profanity. Boot had been half training half swearing. All sweat and angry shouting. Sal licked the blood off and went back up the ramp to grab some more crates, these ones marked 'Hazardous'. Just that though.

"Explosives? Chemicals? Military Grade Laundry Detergent?" He wondered aloud. He picked up this stack and walked back out and chose a path that would go by the same marine. Walking past, he saw the word 'Morse' on his uniform. Maybe that was his nickname, or his actually name.

<Tag Morse>
Salazar 'Salamander' Boothe: 'Private', 'Medic', 'Marine'.
Load out: As Turn Two of Watch Dog
Pulse Rifle: Clip loaded +4 on person.
1 Field Surgery Kit
3 First aid Kits
4 smoke grenades
Breather Mask.

Dirk Pitt
First Lieutenant

Post by Dirk Pitt » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:34 pm

taimdala wrote: "It's good to see you again, Sergeant," Oksana said as she stepped off the ramp.
Dirk lead Oksana across the base to his office, holding the door open and allowing her to enter the small building first. The office was a perfab military building that could be used for everything from storage to a barracks. The spartan furnishings, other than the crisply made rack in the rear of the building, were scrounged from anything extra on base that could be re-purposed for what he needed at the moment. Moving in after he crossed the small, dark room and turned on the florescent lights that hung from wires from the roof. Setting his M41A on his desk he turned on the coffee maker. Soon the sound of liquid being poured into a pot was followed by the smell of fresh coffee filling the office.

"Coffee? Like the chow here, it may not be that god but there is a lot of it. Once your taste buds are destroyed you won't mind." He joked, as every Marine had through out the history of the Corps.
<Tag Oksana>

Pouring a cup of coffee for both of them he sat down behind the stacked ammo boxes and a piece of sheet metal on top that served as his desk. Reaching into one of the boxes he pulled out a VP70 and a gun belt with a few extra clips and set it down next to her cup.

"You'll need to put this on. Everyone on base, even civilians, need to be armed at all times. Civilians I trust that is." He said motioning for her to have a seat after she put her belt on.
<Tag Oksana>

For the next few minutes he went over what had happened on base. The new types of Xenomorphs, the larger one in command and it's use of coordinated attacks and tactics. Finishing he allowed the new information to sink in.

"I'll need your help in questioning the WY civilian. Sometimes these WY people think that we grunts are as stupid as the day is long and they think they can lie to us. We are going to have to get in and out of the outpost with the information. What I want from her is the way we can do that without casualties. I'll ask her a few questions. Feel free to ask her anything you want when Sam brings her in."
<Tag Oksana>
Cpl Dirk Pitt
First squad leader

Gear
Smoke Grenade x2
KBAR Combat Knife
Portable Welder
Ithaca Shotgun

Non Combat Equipment
Zippo lighter