Turn 47

The 1st Eightballs campaign
Grambo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Turn 47

Post by Grambo » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:11 pm

"Second Squad! We're gonna move back a bit. Keep an eye on that floor! Don't let them get up from under you."
Dar fired another flame burst, still in suppression fire mode rather than targeting... and began to slowly retreat towards the room behind him. Steps were slow and careful, as falling on his ass now might mean a lot of dead marines... starting with him.

"Corporal, I can hold the hallway until we get the smartgun up here... or until the squad is into the room. Which way are we extracting?"

Dar continued slowly retreating and fired off another suppression stream, this time arcing from floor to ceiling diagonally across the corridor... his vision was still obscured, but he knew he was tagging at least some of the moving shapes with molten death... yet they didn't drop immediately... what the hell were these things?
FC Dar Vaughan
Recon Section - Scout
3rd Battalion, 2nd Regiment, 8th Platoon

AstroBoy
Chief Warrant Officer 2

Turn 47

Post by AstroBoy » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:42 am

Morrison tugged at both Vaughan's and Bojan's combatwebbings before he started to walk backwards down the corridor.
Bojan moved followed Morrison while constantly checking the rear for any movement with the motion tracker. Things didn't seem to be going well but keeping good practice would help keep everyone left alive.
William Jones

pants
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Turn 47

Post by pants » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:52 am

"OK, LT, Sarge, and Corporal Morrison. 1st Squad has cleared this sector to the best of my knowledge. . . .
"Acknowledged, Eagle."

Muzzle flashes from first squads weapons lit up the inside of the engine room, illuminating a scene from hell. More of the leathery oval objects were starting to open, however the weapon fire from first squad was splattering the contents of the ovals all around the room.
"Ok..we pissed off what ever is down here. Can we go home now?"
Nick heard Pvt Shepherds comment over his comm unit.

"Well Shepherd, we'll go home once all these...aliens, are dead! Now look sharp marine and keep your squadmates alive! Hoorah!"
Zoe Barr
Chief Petty Officer

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Turn 47

Post by Nick » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:57 pm

Suddenly Steel saw a glimpse of movement in the corner of his eye. This saved his life. Instinctively he ducked and something blurred past his face. For a few moments he was dazzled, what had it been? Debris from exploding eggs or what?

Then he saw it. A small cat sized creature, shaped almost like a hand, pale yellow in color and with a long winding tail. The creature quickly snapped around from its missed pounce and curled its tail, springing it off the ground again - As if in slow motion in came sailing through the air towards Steels face, its spindly "fingers" eagerly seeking to connect with his face.

Site admin

Apachetear
Second Lieutenant

Turn 47

Post by Apachetear » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:58 pm

Seeing the blur of something flying through the air, Jacob whirled round in confusion "What in god's name was that?"

falling back into position smoothly, Jacob squinted, looking around carefully for any other threats other than the black dragons and those pods - the idea that there could be worse things than he'd already faced terrified him.

Switching his com to Jim Screaming Eagle he muttered

"Jim, Sir, Got any rousing words - I'm about 30 seconds from running involuntarily...we weren't meant to experience shit like this..."

Thinking to himself, Jacob wondered if before the mission began was his last cigarette...or whether he'd have another drag on one - the idea of relieving his addiction and stress was the only thing keeping him going, but the stress and fear was beginning to get too much. He wasn't going to let anyone, not even Nick, know how scared he was...but he had a feeling that this new squad leader would know what to say, he'd led them thus far - and with 3 new marines, he was no longer cannon fodder in Jacob's eyes...
Pvt. Jacob "smiles" Honeysett

Pulse Rifle
Shotgun
Pistol
8" Dagger
12" Shortsword

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Turn 47

Post by Nick » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:07 pm

The creature crashed into Steels helmet, curling its tail around his head. The underside of the creature had a snout like extension. Steel desperatly tried to get free from the creature, dropping his pulse rifle and falling over in the process.

More and more eggs opened up - And the hand like creatures started coming from all direction. There was also a commotion furhter down in the engine room, something, or someone was heading towards the marines with a vengeance.

Site admin

Pale Rider
Major

Turn 47

Post by Pale Rider » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:52 pm

James saw movement in his peripheral vision and turned in time to see a shape hurdling through space at Nick. He watched as Nick dropped to his knees to avoid the hand shaped object flying past his head. An audible click on his com, and a harried yet familiar voice could be heard coming over the speaker:
"Jim, Sir, Got any rousing words - I'm about 30 seconds from running involuntarily...we weren't meant to experience shit like this..."
Clearing his throat James thought back to his ancestors as they fought against heavy odds to survive. "Jacob, you were trained to kill as a man and to die as a man. You are not a whipped dog to tuck your tail between your legs and run at the first sign of something unfamiliar. I think the Sarge and the LT, both will be willing to guarantee a bonus on our paychecks when this crap is over with. Now snap out of it. Get the flamer going and let's make some hard boiled eggs.." To help hide his own fear and to try and improve morale James kicked the nearest ovoid shaped egg which was starting to spread it's lips to release the monstrosity within. As the egg sailed into the air he released a stream of screaming death into it sending the contents spewing into the air it's green ichor raining down on the spheres beneath it. "Jacob, just think back to the first time you got laid. It was different, but oh so nice. After that first time you felt like could conquer the world. Well marine, your cherries been popped get to work and help protect the rest of your squad. I am counting on you being a calming influence on the Jolly Green Giant over there.
Further movement to his rear caught his attention and he spun, finger poised over the trigger to drop anything unnatural:
The creature crashed into Steels helmet, curling its tail around his head. The underside of the creature had a snout like extension. Steel desperatly tried to get free from the creature, dropping his pulse rifle and falling over in the process.
"Con, see to the Sarge," switching to the command frequency he relayed the message, "Lt. Vincent, Corporal Morrison the Sarge is down, something is attached to his helmet . . . ."
There was also a commotion further down in the engine room, something, or someone was heading towards the marines with a vengeance.
The sounds of metal being treated harshly could be heard over the weapons fire. James quickly turned to face the direction of the sound, poor lighting and the mist only allowed him the casual glimpse of something big coming their way.
"LT, we need to get our boys in a defensive formation asap, it is fixing to get hairy here real quick." James scanned around the room looking for someplace to establish a perimeter. LT, do you copy, in 30 seconds this area is going to go FUBAR and I really don't think we wanna be standing in the center of the room so that we have to completely cover all points of the compass." James turned and sprayed a quick burst in the direction of the fast approaching shape. When he heard his rifle click on empty air, he reached down and pulled the next pair of clips rocking one home, his eyes scanning for a defensible location.
GM

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Apachetear
Second Lieutenant

Turn 47

Post by Apachetear » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:41 pm

Grinning grimly at Screaming Eagle's words Jacob said "Thankyou, If we survive - I'll..."

Suddenly Jacob saw something fly at Nick again from the corner of his eye - this time the thing had latched onto Nick's face - it had come out of one of the pod's he was sure it had...

"Someone see to the sarge!" He yelled, swinging round and thumbing the incinerator unit into life - spraying burning death all over the field of eggs. He hosed over the top and then angled the flamer down - pressing the gas and firing the flame directly down ontop of the eggs.

Sweat was running down his face inside his suit - it was hot normally, but the activity and the heat of the flames made it near unbearable - but damnit, Screaming Eagle was right, he was a marine - trained to kill...and damnit he was gonna do his job...

Squeezing the trigger, Jacob grinned and looked at the fuel gauge - 'I'll stop burnin' 'em when the fuel runs out' he thought to himself - he wasn't gonna take any chances...
Pvt. Jacob "smiles" Honeysett

Pulse Rifle
Shotgun
Pistol
8" Dagger
12" Shortsword

pants
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Turn 47

Post by pants » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:40 pm

"Get off me! Get off me! Get off me!"

Desperately Nick rolled on the floor trying to get his hands up so that he could get a grip on the creature. His whole world had become this creature wrapped around his helmet. There was no room for thinking only instinct and Nick's instincts were telling him he had to kill it quick before it's siblings could join in.

Struggling to get a grip on it with both hands, Nicks plan was to break it's grip on his suit then throw it off him towards the oval objects. As plans went it wasn't the greatest but it was simple, and for the moment simple was the only thing that his mind could deal with.
Zoe Barr
Chief Petty Officer

Jocke
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Turn 47

Post by Jocke » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:33 am

Pale Rider wrote:"Lt. Vincent, Corporal Morrison the Sarge is down, something is attached to his helmet . . . ."
"Copy that Eagle." Morrison replied, forcing his voice to a steady calm over the comnet.

He turned around, facing the engine room, where shadowy figures where lit in the stroboscope flashes from guns firing. Time seemed to slow down for him, as if he was moving underwater.
In NCO-school, he was taught to act, doing something was always better then doing nothing, consequenses had to be dealt with later.

"Second squad! Listen up!" he roared in his best barracks-voice "we are going to get up to first squad! We're going to support them, and give us fire superiority. I want fire and movement! Standard zipper! Vaughaun! You're with me! Bojan, Pyro! You'll move on my clear!"

He then turned to jog towards the engineroom, but stopped for a second as he reached the LT, smacking her on the helmet with the palm of his glove as hard as he could, he clicked over to her frequency: "C'mon LT! Do your goddamn job!".

After a few meters, Morrison shouted "done!" on his squads frequency, turned and started shooting short, well-controlled bursts down the hallway, whilst he chimed in to the command frequence once again:

"Eagle! Report! Ten more seconds, and me and the boys will be with you."

"If we live that long." He thought.

(OOC: "Zipper" is the way squads move when they have to give themselves coverfire; fireteams or combatpairs divide up between their running and firing- so if Morrison starts, he'd stop, and take a knee after about 10-15 meters, during his run, Vauguan would have kept firing. When Morrison yells "done" Vaughuan starts running, and Morrison provides him with coverfire.)
LcCpl Conrad Heart

Pale Rider
Major

Turn 47

Post by Pale Rider » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:15 pm

"Eagle! Report! Ten more seconds, and me and the boys will be with you."
"Roger, Morrison! I have 1 mag in and five remaining! I repeat I mag in and five remaining. Something big is coming down the pike and it ain't happy. I am looking for a defensible location for both squads to set up a firing perimeter. If you see a location feel free to direct both squads into that general location."
James looked around at the rest of his Squad: Jacob had shaken off whatever temporary fugue had overcome him and was laying down a flaming bath. Con, was sniping the moving spiderlike forms as they came out of the eggs. He looked over at Green and the hulking figure seemed transfixed, his fingers were flexing spasmodically around the trigger, the weapon moving as it locked on targets, it's computer targeting system whining with each target yet, Green's twitching fingers failed to trigger the gun. James travelled the space between the two of them in a heart beat, his Pulse rifle dropping the rapidly approaching alien lifeforms; blasting one out of the air as it was preparing to latch onto the marine's helmet and facemask like the Sarge's. "Green, get your butt into gear," he screamed over the com. He slapped the massive marine a ringing blow across the back of the helmet; turning to fire a blast at one of the hand spiders as it moved closer. "Listen marine, you have 2 seconds to start using that weapon or you will find yourself facing charges of insubordination and I will personally kick your ass when all of this is over, do I make myself clear. You have the main fire power of this unit so get to work. If you don't like what I am telling you then see to it that the two of us get out of this alive and we can square off in the ring. You and me; no ranks, no nothing; just two men settling their differences." He slapped the side of his helmet one further time and returned to his position. Out of the corner of his eye he noticed a raised platform which would have probably housed an engine or some piece of equipment. It was a solid slab of metal, unlike the grating that they had run over getting to where they were. The two of the sides were bracketed by the walls of the ship. "Morrison, Lt. Vincent, at our three is a location I think we can safely assume will provide us our best defensible location within this hell hole. Do we make for it or do we abandon the mission and blow this vessel from space? The only lifeforms I have seen are definitely not human."
GM

Image Image Image

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Turn 47

Post by Nick » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:24 pm

Steel started to feel exhausted as he grappled with the creature. His arms numb, the bulky suit restricted his movement making it impossible to use his full strength. The creature was immensively strong, its tailed curled around his throat - If it had not been for the suits armored steel helmet collar he would have been onconscious a long time ago. He could hear gunfire and a horrible scream that was cut off in half. He could also feel a drumming sensation in the floor, like an army of feet striking the steel floor.

Steels visor was slowly changing color in front of him, starting to turn yellow. Why was that? Why was the visor changing color? With a shrill of fear that pierced his consciousness like a spear of ice he realized what it was - The visor was melting!

Eagle led the way to the metal slab, through the mist and lines of eggs. Green still apathic about his situation, most probably due to shock. He still moved his legs, but he was distant, not present. Private Pyro ran last of the Marines heading for the slab, he turned around half way and let out a warning shout that transformed into a scream of fear.

That was his last call. From the mist and darkness a towering creature appeared - It resembled the other Aliens, but this one was three times as large. It was crowned with a majestic head shield, and towering spines portruded high aloft towards the roof. The thing was so immensly big that it must have spent it entire life in this chamber, it was no way it could get out through the corridors. Behind it, scuttling from both the walls, floor and roof were over a dozen of the Alien creatures in an all out charge.

Pyros scream was cut in half as the large creature simply smashed his head with its long whiplike tail. Pyros helmet and skull united in a shower of plastics, metal and pieces of bone and brainmatter. The body slumped to the floor and his weapon fell through the air tumbling end over end, the creature didn't even slow down - It was bearing down on Eagle.

Site admin

Pale Rider
Major

Turn 47

Post by Pale Rider » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:00 pm

Pyros scream was cut in half as the large creature simply smashed his head with its long whiplike tail. Pyros helmet and skull united in a shower of plastics, metal and pieces of bone and brainmatter. The body slumped to the floor and his weapon fell through the air tumbling end over end, the creature didn't even slow down - It was bearing down on Eagle.
"Holy crap," James screamed into his mic as he took in the effects of the alien's tail turning Pyro's head into flying mush. He grabbed a frag grenade from off his webbing belt and lobbed it into the the things pathway and turning he dived tucking his head down so that he rolled across the floor coming up into a fire position at the creature's right, he fired emptying the clip into the alien's side. Working smoothly and efficiently he stripped the clip and reversed it putting the next loaded clip into the port and fired the gun again at creature. He realized he was seperated from the rest of the squads and the only thing left for him to do was to get out of the open area and into the confine of the engines housing. "LT, Morrison, and going to try and lead the thing off. Take out the smaller ones and open fire on this bitch before she takes us all out. If I eat it like Pyro I hope the rest of you get out of this hell hole." He turned back at the screaming behemoth and lobbed several more frag grenades in it's direction hoping and praying they would take it out or in the least slow it down and take out the others. He ran in a zig-zag pattern, firing the pulse rifle back the creature not knowing whether his shots were scoring hits or not. He felt the on rush of air being forced before a huge object and dived rolling on the ground in the direction of the onrushing tail. He rolled to his feet and began the race of life again.
GM

Image Image Image

Grambo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Turn 47

Post by Grambo » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:17 pm

"Second squad! Listen up!" he roared in his best barracks-voice "we are going to get up to first squad! We're going to support them, and give us fire superiority. I want fire and movement! Standard zipper! Vaughaun! You're with me! Bojan, Pyro! You'll move on my clear!"
"On it, Corporal", was all Dar said as he shifted to coordinating his pull back with Morrison. When Morrison stopped and began firing, Dar paused to unload another cross burst, laying a line of flaming death from wall to wall. Still, he had to wonder what the hell they were doing... they were going IN to that room... why weren't they trying to extract back this way?

Dar heard Pyro's scream cut short, and knew first squad was getting killed by something... and if the motion in front of him was any sign, the entire unit was surrounded and in deep kimchee. Only thing to do was keep the fire going... as long as his tank held out.

"Corporal, I'm down to 50%... not sure we're going to have enough to extract if I keep up suppression..."
"Holy crap," James screamed into his mic... "LT, Morrison, and going to try and lead the thing off. Take out the smaller ones and open fire on this bitch before she takes us all out. If I eat it like Pyro I hope the rest of you get out of this hell hole."
What the hell was happening in there?

"Corporal... suggest we reverse and start pushing back the way we came... see if we can extract 1st squad, rather than dying with 'em"
FC Dar Vaughan
Recon Section - Scout
3rd Battalion, 2nd Regiment, 8th Platoon

tashw
Sergeant
Sergeant

Turn 47

Post by tashw » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:59 pm

Eileen, tried to make sense of the confusion of messages and information. A dozen different things seemed to be happening and she couldn't even decide which one to focus on. Eggs, approaching signals, whatever the hell had just hit Pyro, and Steel yelling.
Morrison then turned to jog towards the engineroom, but stopped for a second as he reached the LT, smacking her on the helmet with the palm of his glove as hard as he could, he clicked over to her frequency: "C'mon LT! Do your goddamn job!".
The thud against her helmet jerked Eileen's focus back. "Alright," she snarled at Morrison, then took a slow breath.

"Alright", Eileen repeated more calmly. Stop trying to do everything, do something. "First squad, get into any cover you can and concentrate fire on that thing, get the goddamn smart gun on it."

"Morrison, two people holding this corridor, take the rest and help them. If that thing doesn't go down, we're pulling out."

Eileen followed after Morrison towards the engine room, "Ill find Steel."
nd Lieutenant Eileen Vincent
Platoon Commander
3 Bat, 2nd Reg, 8th Platoon

Return to “USCM 1.0 - Andromeda Campaign”