Turn 4 - Divide and Conquer (Easy Eights)

The joint campaign of the 8th and 9th platoons
Pale Rider
Major

Post by Pale Rider » Mon May 14, 2007 10:50 pm

The Marines stood around the tunnel mouth that leads deeper into the ground. The chamber in which they stood measured roughly eight meters by eight meters with the tunnel that Lt. Morrison and his original four had encountered the scorpions as they had labeled them branched off to the northwest where it met with the main tunnel twelve meters back that way. At this point it was up to the Sergeants to decide the direction the Marines were going to take. With the 9th undermanned the decision was for them to make their way back up the North West Tunnel and map out the complex tunnels there. The Eights would drop down to the lower tunnel sections and map out as much of the location as possible.

From out of the bowels of the tunnel that lead down into the depths of the earth, the smell of cordite and blood were mixed in the stale wind that coursed through the tunnels. It was into this that the men and women of the Easy Eights were being asked to descend. It is in here that Lance Corporal Khan had encountered the Grow as it charged him from the depths and it was into these depths that the marines were being required to explore.

Last edited by Pale Rider on Tue May 15, 2007 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GM

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

- JR -
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by - JR - » Tue May 15, 2007 12:10 am

Jonsson sniffed. 'Stinks. Figures this is what would be in store.' He shrugged and gave a dismissive grunt. Plenty of worse situations they could be in. As crazy as the fighting was likely to get, he was glad the terrain wasn't something he hadn't seen before.

Still, he'd not had too much experience underground as of late, so he spoke up to his squad mates. "So, what's the plan? Back home there was two things we'd think of doin' here. We sendin' the big guys in first for a meat shield, or the small guys for more speed and manuverability? Dunno quite what these things are capable of; I can't stop a charge with anything more than bullets and blades, but I can run long and hard and move fast, and I'm willin' to take the back or the front, whichever you decide, sir."

Sergeant Sara Wang - Communications Chief

Expert in Hand-to-Hand Combat
Professional Biologist, Engineer
Proficient in Vehicle & Computer Operation & Repair
...Acceptable Marskmanship

Dugan
First Lieutenant

Post by Dugan » Tue May 15, 2007 2:12 am

As they descended deeper all light from the outside was extinguished, now the Marines had only their shoulder lamps for light, suddenly Simovic felt slightly tenser and beads of sweat started pouring down his face, the heat of tunnel only partially responsible. He did feel glad that they'd split up from the 9th, not that he had anything against them but he wouldn't have liked to have been caught in a firefight with so many bodies around.

Now he could concentrate on just keeping an eye out for the men in his platoon. He noticed that his squad was still short of a man following the recent reshufflings. "Bojan will you be joining second squad now we're a man short?"

Simovic listened to the newbie Johnson, and replied "I sincerely hope that no ones going to be acting as a 'meat shield' , you see something that ain't us and just let it have it with your Pulse Rifle, no heroics. Anyhow I suppose its not up to us really, we just do what they tell us to do".

O.O.C Khan are you armed with an M56 Smartgun still?
Last edited by Dugan on Thu May 17, 2007 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Ssg Dugan Simovic, Platoon Sergeant                 
ImageImage

- JR -
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by - JR - » Tue May 15, 2007 4:23 am

[quote=""Dugan""]Simovic listened to the newbie Johnson, and replied "I sincerely hope that no ones going to acting as a 'meat shield' , you see something that ain't us and just let it have it with your Pulse Rifle, no heroics. Anyhow I suppose its not up to us really, we just do what they tell us to do".[/quote]
"Eh, wasn't what I meant. I know these things were fast, was wonderin' if they could be pushed back by a solid force, or if speed was our friend. Back home we'd go fast first for gunmen, and heavy first for melee fighters, but I think this is a whole other ballgame, and I was just askin'." He used a respectful tone in his voice, clearly thinking a lot more of this man than Huey, actually taking the time to respond to the man's advice. 'This guy doesn't seem like an idiot, and isn't looking to start a fight. I'm sticking close to him when the hell starts.' They were all stressed, and it was good to see someone using that constructively instead of hindering the people around him. He nodded in acknowledgement to the man, and started to turn. Then, as if with a second thought, he spoke again. "And I learned the heroics lesson almost four years back. He subconsciously tongued the insides of his scarred cheeks. "Guys, people keep givin' me these warnings, but I guarantee you, if I was the kind of guy willing to throw his life away for no reason, it'd've happened before now."

Corporal Hicks
Major

Post by Corporal Hicks » Tue May 15, 2007 5:29 am

Eric took point, being smartgunner of first squad. He kept his shoulder lamp pointed straight ahead, and also two fluorescent flashlights from his backpack taped onto his gun, facing 30 degrees to the left and right. He had taken six of the flashlights, which almost never went out. Then he realized that the four spare lights in his bag would be useful to the others, being more effective than shoulder lamps in many ways. The shoulder lamps were only used because of the attachment to the shoulder, and the more conventional ‘whiter’ light. “Hey, if anybody wants another flashlight, I’ve got four to spare, anyone in second squad too, we could leave ‘em on the floor for ya’.â€
ImageSgtMaj. Danny Sykes - Platoon NCO
USCM Special Forces Recon Team
Serial Number: D26/TQ6.3.48412E9

Atypicalkiller
Master Gunnery Sergeant
Master Gunnery Sergeant

Post by Atypicalkiller » Tue May 15, 2007 1:31 pm

(OOC:) As far as I know I'm still toting the M56 and don't plan on giving it up)

Khan held up his hand signaling for the team to stop and take defensive positions. He lit a smoke and changed his mic onto his new squads frequency. "Cut the chatter ladies....I don't want to hear either one of you give away our position again.." Khan sounded firm, but not angry....

He raised his hand and moved it in a circular motion signaling for his squad to move up to his position. As soon as his team moved in, he pushed his mic away, and exhaled smoke. "Alright team, this is where we encountered the bugs the first time, I want you men on your God damn toes and for fucks sake stay quiet...we barely picked them up on the motion tracker last time..." he stood up took another drag on his smoke and tossed it, "I'm on point Simovic I want you to lead up the six and Williams keep an eye on both of us."

He didn't give the team long enough to reply anything but a "Understood" before moving on to catch up with the other squad.
Khan wasn't happy with his new title as squad leader, once again he was forced into a promotion. He rolled the shell casing from Green around his fingertips and thought of his fallen comrade.

(OOC: Im assuming the First squad of the 8th platoon is in front of 2nd squad. I understand we're at the area where I was charged by the Grow in previous turn. Doesn't this tunnel open up again?) TAG GM or anyone with a relevant answer.
SCM
BootCamp GM
Corporal Tarik Khan

- JR -
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by - JR - » Wed May 16, 2007 1:25 am

[quote=""Corporal Dwayne C. Hicks""] “Hey, if anybody wants another flashlight, I’ve got four to spare, anyone in second squad too, we could leave ‘em on the floor for ya’.â€

AstroBoy
Chief Warrant Officer 2

Post by AstroBoy » Wed May 16, 2007 10:57 am

"Looking good guys, I want first squad at point with Eric with the motion tracker at the front. I'll be following with second squad and I want the other motion tracker at the rear. Rednus and Khan you guys work it out. We'll advance slowly and carefully.", Bojan commanded over the comms to make sure the entire platoon heard.

"Khan I want to know everything that happened down here."

Bojan looked around him as they headed down the tunnel trying to make sure he didn't miss anything. He would pull out his notebook at the first sign of a junction after the area was secured.

"We're gonna stop at the first junction we find marines", said Bojan. Most of his platoon seemed OK but he'd have to keep an eye on a couple to make sure they didn't freak out.
William Jones

Atypicalkiller
Master Gunnery Sergeant
Master Gunnery Sergeant

Post by Atypicalkiller » Wed May 16, 2007 12:30 pm

"Khan I want to know everything that happened down here."

Tk glanced back at Bojan and took another drag off his freshy lit smoke and the memories from no more than a day or two ago flooded his head. He decided to report it over the platoons frequency so that everyone would hear." I was charged by a Grow....the thing wouldn't stop even after I emptied my M56 into it...after it came crashing down on me it was only a few moments before they came...I'm still not sure if they were chasing us or the Grow...either way after we lit up the tunnel the walls caught flame like wild fire, they pretty much stopped at that point allowing me to pick them off..one other thing...they came from behind us..."

he took another drag off his smoke...he knew they'd be back...bugs are bugs.. doesn't matter if their ants, bees or giant man-eating bugs...they all have drones..workers..and a Queen...

Tarik switched over to his squads frequency, "Guys..stay close but don't bunch up..no more than 4 meters apart..."

Khan felt kinda bad about telling his men to shut up, but these things were almost black in an otherwise lightless tunnel the only thing they could rely on was everyone hearing that motion tracker go off at the same time...he looked at his cigarette for a few moments this was his 5 in so many minutes...if he didn't die from bugs he'd die soon of something..
SCM
BootCamp GM
Corporal Tarik Khan

AstroBoy
Chief Warrant Officer 2

Post by AstroBoy » Wed May 16, 2007 8:09 pm

"Grow?", said Bojan to Khan

William Jones

- JR -
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by - JR - » Wed May 16, 2007 8:47 pm

'Thank God," Jonsson thought. 'So they didn't cover everything in the briefing.' He felt his spirits rise at the decision, probably intentional, to give the response over the wider comm. Some of the information didn't sit well, however, and he spoke up. "Sir, do you know how they got in the back? Was it clearly from tunnels, or is there a chance they're on or in the ceiling or walls? I'll keep an eye on the back of my squad, and the space between us and second, if you think it's not worth taking the chance."

Atypicalkiller
Master Gunnery Sergeant
Master Gunnery Sergeant

Post by Atypicalkiller » Thu May 17, 2007 5:15 pm

"Grow?", said Bojan to Khan

"Yea...it's kinda like a cow and a buffalo...only well..." He kicked the emense corspe of the 1500lb creature that laid still oozing blood and stinking up the entire tunnel..

"Sir, do you know how they got in the back? Was it clearly from tunnels, or is there a chance they're on or in the ceiling or walls? I'll keep an eye on the back of my squad, and the space between us and second, if you think it's not worth taking the chance."
"well when they attacked there were about 7 or so of them..they were on the walls..ceiling and floors..I didn't see any holes or entry ways on the way in this time so my guess is they were after the Grow..and ran into us..at least that's what I hope..and..drop the sir bit unless you want to get punched in the face.." Khan turned and smiled at Jonsson..his threat seemed playful enough but something about Khans stance implicated he meant it.
SCM
BootCamp GM
Corporal Tarik Khan

- JR -
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by - JR - » Thu May 17, 2007 10:44 pm

[quote=""Atypicalkiller""]"well when they attacked there were about 7 or so of them..they were on the walls..ceiling and floors..I didn't see any holes or entry ways on the way in this time so my guess is they were after the Grow..and ran into us..at least that's what I hope..and..drop the sir bit unless you want to get punched in the face.." Khan turned and smiled at Jonsson..his threat seemed playful enough but something about Khans stance implicated he meant it.[/quote]
'Speak casually, it's useless chatter, formal, you grind their nerves. It's no win here.' Jonsson shrugged and grinned. 'At least they're fighters.'He'd spent too long running alongside military-wannabes with hunting rifles, and this was a welcome change. Heck, maybe this one actually had a sense of humor as well. 'I'll play along.' His grin broadened. "I'll wait til the fightin' starts to keep my eye on the roof then.. Khan," he said, without averting his gaze from the man's eyes at all, raising the rifle towards the ceiling, and casually letting his other hand swing down and brush the handle of his machete, sending the leather sheath into a slight swing at his hip.

Atypicalkiller
Master Gunnery Sergeant
Master Gunnery Sergeant

Post by Atypicalkiller » Fri May 18, 2007 1:27 pm

"I'll wait til the fightin' starts to keep my eye on the roof then.. Khan," he said

Tarik grinned at the Marine and then quickly turned his attention back to the mission at hand. In the past few weeks so much had happened and TK barely had time to reflect on any of it. He was transfered to a new platoon, and Promoted, why? Because one of the vets decided to turn his head into a ashtray. Marines were coming and going and the mission...well the mission was only getting worst with every bit of information that came in.
Khan looked down at his dogtags and realized he was going to die, not of old age, not of some odd disease he wasn't coming back from this mission. He looked around at the others wondering if they had the same thoughts..some so nervous you could see them barely keep their rifles steady others like Khan played it cool even though they knew as well they'd be fodder by the end of the mission. The vets...they were the worst of all of them, jumpy as Hell. TK wanted to believe he'd make it out, but there are bigger things in the Universe than just one Marine..and he planed on killing it come Hell or highwater whatever this General was after whatever they had in mind he'd destroy it, even if it killed him.
SCM
BootCamp GM
Corporal Tarik Khan

Dugan
First Lieutenant

Post by Dugan » Fri May 18, 2007 1:56 pm

Simovic followed his squad at a slow backward pace, constantly scanning the tunnel behind them. He had his Flame Unit ready to spew out its deadly fuel if anything decided to creep up on them.

He held up for a few seconds as Khan and Bojan discussed the Grow and the smell of the thing made him feel nauseous. He slowly backed up around it and then noticed the charred remains of the 'scorpion' creatures he'd heard so much about. They looked fairly big and had loads of organic pipes protruding from their back a second mandible type jaw hung out of one of the creatures mouths with many sharp teeth that seemed to be made of a metallic material. As he stepped over it Simovic spoke to Tarik & Bojan in a whisper "So this is one of those aliens we're here to wipe out, ugly sons of a bitches ain't they?!"

He then carried on his sweep making sure to keep Williams safely in the middle of the squad formation.

O.O.C: Keep making awareness checks for Simovic please.
Image Ssg Dugan Simovic, Platoon Sergeant                 
ImageImage

Return to “USCM 1.0 - Draconis Major Campaign”