Turn 2

The 3rd Eightballs campaign. Terminated.
Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Turn 2

Post by Nick » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:02 pm

Date: 22nd October, 2080AD, 0710UT
Operation: Thunderclaw
Mission timer: 00:00

The Marines gathered in the kitchen area, some of the FNGs or "Fresh-New-Guys" looked curiously on the older and more experienced Marines of the outfit. Despite trying to look comfortable they stuck out like a sour thumb - Their clothes fresh from the plastic wrappers and all equipment glowed and was in mint condition compared to old Marines paled and worned down gear.

Priest was sitting at the end of the table with Lt Vincent and another woman they had not seen before. They where talking idly in low voices about something. The autochef suddenly made a blurting sound and something resembling white porridge slumped down on the plastic tray with a thick slapping sound.

Site admin

Pale Rider
Major

Turn 2

Post by Pale Rider » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:29 pm

"Yum, Looks like what my old momma used to make. Only it was as tasty since it was usually coming back out instead of going in," James intoned at the soft blurping sound the porridge made as it struck the plastic tray. He picked a tray up and headed to a table to settle in for the meal and to figure out what the bosses up above had cooked up for the Easy Eights.
He sat down up the table from Priest and the strange lady. He kind of felt out of place and disgusted at himself. It seems the powers that be felt that he had failed as a squadleader and he had busted from a position of authority to a Smartgunner, no problem there, but he knew he had not screwed up, the problem was he got his boys back alive and somebody didn't appreciate it.
GM

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Huey
Corporal
Corporal

Turn 2

Post by Huey » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:18 pm

"Yum, Looks like what my old momma used to make. Only it was as tasty since it was usually coming back out instead of going in," James intoned at the soft blurping sound the porridge made as it struck the plastic tray.

"Don't forget to chew your porridge dear" Huey said sounding like an old lady. Marine food even by Colonials standards was pretty bad. Get a serving of his own and some orange juice Huey sat down next to the Lance Corporal.

"I'm Huey Williams" Introducing himself would have to be one of those first steps. He'd hardly got to talk to anyone before they were shipped off. Cept for reporting into the LT and Platoon Sergeant for his assignment.
pl. Huey Williams
8th Platoon, Section A, 2nd Squad
Squad Leader

pants
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Turn 2

Post by pants » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:28 am

Nick cast an interested eye over the grouping of the LT, Priest and the unknown woman as he sat down at a table not far away from them.
"Yum, Looks like what my old momma used to make. Only it was as tasty since it was usually coming back out instead of going in,"
"Every meal's a feast when your in the marines, Eagle! Heck at least you don't have to eat bugs like when your in basic."

"Speaking of basic...Bojan, Chappell have all your squadmembers reported in?"

"I'm Huey Williams"
Nick shovelled some of the food from his tray into his mouth before he answered.

"It's good to be working with you Huey. Your familiar with L Cpl Bojan and L Cpl Eagle? You'll be working with them in first squad."

Zoe Barr
Chief Petty Officer

AstroBoy
Chief Warrant Officer 2

Turn 2

Post by AstroBoy » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:09 am

"Speaking of basic...Bojan, Chappell have all your squadmembers reported in?"
"We'll there's the entirety of first squad sir. Cue balls are still missing a rifleman", replied Bojan as he devoured his meal enthusiatically.

"How are you guys going?" Bojan asked to James and Huey. He hoped they would be briefed as soon as they were ready. Bojan didn't like sitting around doing nothing. If they had to wait, he'd be able to catch up with some reading.

William Jones

Huey
Corporal
Corporal

Turn 2

Post by Huey » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:02 pm

"It's good to be working with you Huey. Your familiar with L Cpl Bojan and L Cpl Eagle? You'll be working with them in first squad."

"Can't say I have Sergeant, I'm looking forward to it though" He told them all. His squad wasn't even full, but it was made up some salty Lance Corporals which made real calm. If they ran into some kind of problem they'd be alright.

"How are you guys going?" Bojan asked to James and Huey. He hoped they would be briefed as soon as they were ready.

"Doing good Bojan"Taking a spoon and stabbing the porridge, he looked at his Squad Leader. "It moved" He said, he took some packets of hot sauce and started putting them on his meal. "Putting enough should give it some flavor" [/i]
pl. Huey Williams
8th Platoon, Section A, 2nd Squad
Squad Leader

tashw
Sergeant
Sergeant

Turn 2

Post by tashw » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:40 pm

Eileen picked at the tasteless, but no doubt nutritious sludge that had been dished out as breakfast. Half her attention was on her current conversation, and half watching her platoon.

They seemed cheerful enough, or at least as cheerful as anyone hauled out of a cryotube and presented with a USMC breakfast could be expected to be. The mission itself appeared straightforward, a strike on a lightly defended pirate base, but previous experience didn't leave her with much faith that her own intel would be anything like the whole truth.

Still, no use conveying that doubt to the whole platoon. Eileen put it out of her mind for the moment, "Eat up, people. Briefing will be in ten minutes, so I'm afraid you won't be able to savour breakfast."
nd Lieutenant Eileen Vincent
Platoon Commander
3 Bat, 2nd Reg, 8th Platoon

Pale Rider
Major

Turn 2

Post by Pale Rider » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:44 pm

"Sarge, everyday alive with the Marines is a feast, and bugs don't taste all that bad as long as you are the one doing the eating; if you know what I mean? Did I ever tell you how I got my other scars on my chest sarge?"
James chuckled as he heard a poor imitation of someone's grandmother. Turning he watched the new marine approach his table:
"I'm Huey Williams"
"Pleased to meet you Huey, I am James Screaming Eagle, most folks around here call me Eagle or Jim."
GM

Image Image Image

rednus
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Turn 2

Post by rednus » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:07 am

Did I ever tell you how I got my other scars on my chest sarge?"
"Trouble with an Acturian? I presume.."

Rednus was not one for table etiquette , or manners in general. He shot Eagle a knowing grin , and sat with his food, coffee and cigarettes .

The usual Cacophony of noises began to emerge from his direction, which some had heard before, a long time ago, but to the 'boots, it was a learning experience.

Someone dropped a fork as they realised a human was making this racket, the metal clanging as it connected with the mess-floor.

"Hey , Break Shots," he declared to no-one in particular,
"You better nut the hell up, do you know how much it hurts to die?"

waiting for a reply, he scanned the room for his new squad..

Last edited by rednus on Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
.Cpl Rednus Chappell
U.S.C.M Rifleman
Eightballs, First squad.

Jagr35
Private First Class
Private First Class

Turn 2

Post by Jagr35 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:08 am

McKenzie finished dressing, covering the exposed white puckered scars left over from the last operation. Moving to the chow hall he grabbed a tray with the usual colorless mounds of high calorie proteins and carbs. Sliding into a seat he poured a liberal amount of hot sauce, salt and pepper on the meal in an effort to resuscitate it back to something palatable. It was clear that McKenzie was despondent. The last op had cost him his partner and friend and now, being regulated to the position of smart-gunner was, to him, the ultimate insult. How had he went from a elite, one of a kind unit to now being just another grunt. He poked at his meal as he heard the Lt call out the briefing time.

Finishing his drink and another spoonful of of his breakfast he stood and after dumping his tray moved off to the briefing room.
VT Hunter McKenzie/K9 Ares
K9, Ground Auxillary

"Bystanders only count for partial cover."

pants
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Turn 2

Post by pants » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:00 am

"We'll there's the entirety of first squad sir. Cue balls are still missing a rifleman", replied Bojan as he devoured his meal enthusiatically.
"I'm glad to see you've got a healthy appetite there Bojan! Until we get replacements for those who have been transfered to the new platoon your just going have to deal with being a marine short. Both you and Eagle have seen the elephant so your going to have the teach Pvt Williams the ropes."

Nick kept steadily eating from his plate till it was clear of food and then took a long swallow from his glass of water to wash it down.

"Eat up, people. Briefing will be in ten minutes, so I'm afraid you won't be able to savour breakfast."
"Copy that Lieutenant Vincent, where we having it, in the hangar?" he asked.

"
Sarge, everyday alive with the Marines is a feast, and bugs don't taste all that bad as long as you are the one doing the eating; if you know what I mean? Did I ever tell you how I got my other scars on my chest sarge?"
"What other scars Eagle? The scars you got when we did that thing we can't talk about or are you refering to some older scars? Cause you know the brass don't like it when us grunts discuss anything with a security clearance."

Steel had lowered his voice slightly when he replied to L Cpl Eagle. Didn't want anybody to over hear and start asking awkward questions that he wasn't allowed to answer. Nick still sometimes had visions of flashing teeth in the dark but he'd got most of his nightmares over and out of the way in the last few months.

"Trouble with an Acturian? I presume.."
"Best you don't know Chappell until I clear it with the LT. Since your running second squad you're probably entitled to the long version of what happened on our second mission while you were away. The short version is nothing happened."

"
Hey , Break Shots," he declared to no-one in particular,
"You better nut the hell up, do you know how much it hurts to die?"
"Geez, Chappell you sure know how to make a guy feel good after waking up from a cryogenic sleep!" said Steel with a laugh as he leaned back in his chair. Out of the corner of his eye he noticed Pfc McKenzie finish up his meal and head out of the mess.

He was one of the marines who'd been injured in the last mission, thought Nick to himself, might be an idea to have a private word with him and see how he's doing. You never knew what mental effects getting wounded could have on a person. Heck, Nick had been injured a few times and it sure didn't make him feel better about himself at all!

"Finish up quick marines! You heard the LT, we've got a briefing in about 10 minutes so get it down before it gets taken away from you."

Zoe Barr
Chief Petty Officer

Pale Rider
Major

Turn 2

Post by Pale Rider » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:48 am

Finishing his drink and another spoonful of of his breakfast he stood and after dumping his tray moved off to the briefing room.
Eagle watched as McKenzie walked out of the room despondently, he could understand how the man felt having been made a squad leader first time out, moved to head up the recon unit the next mission and then busted out of a leadership role to smartgunner the third mission. Life was definitely not all peaches and cream, he would try to talk with the man later on.
"What other scars Eagle? The scars you got when we did that thing we can't talk about or are you refering to some older scars? Cause you know the brass don't like it when us grunts discuss anything with a security clearance."
"Nah Sarge, these scars," he hurled back at the sarge as he stood up and pulled his shirt open to show four jagged scars running down the other pectoral muscle. "I got these when I was fifteen, went on a spirit quest to earn my name. Uptil that I time I was called Eaglet, on the account of the fact the day I was born our tribal mascot a North American Bald Eagle hatched a nest of five Eaglets. Anyway, I went out in the wilderness by myself. My grandfather was very big on the heritage of our people and he had filled my head with tales of warriors in an age past going out into the wilderness to find their name and to contact their spirit totem. I was out there with just a knife and dressed in a traditional loincloth."
James paused to see if anyone was listening, and noticed he had the attention of most of his fellow marines.
"Well, I had been out there for twelve days with only water to drink and that only sparingly, as I was told to fast during the time in order to make myself more accessible to the Great Spirit, when a bear came charging out of the wilderness to attack me. Armed only with my knife I defended myself the best I could, she swung her massive paw at me and laid my chest open, flinging a good six feet through the air. I landed hard, but managed to roll to my feet before she was back on me. Seeing a wall of the canyon we were in close near by, I ran toward it, the bear hot on my heels, jumping up I planted my feet on the wall and twisted my body so that I came down, behind and on the bears back. I slipped my knife, this knife," he drew out an antler handled knife, about the same size and weight of a standard issue combat knife. On the antler some one had worked a picture of a bear engaged in combat with an eagle. "My family was proud of my accomplishment and my father worked the handle with the scrimshaw. It was ready for me after my bout with fever was over, seems the bear had been eating a rotting corpse of somekind and had the decaying flesh and all on her claws when she struck me. But after I told them my story of the fight, before succumbing to the fever, my grandfather told me I was no longer and Eaglet, but a Screaming Eagle. So thats how I got my scars, my totem, and my name all at the same time."
James sat back down and quickly finished his meal.
GM

Image Image Image

tashw
Sergeant
Sergeant

Turn 2

Post by tashw » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:54 pm

"Copy that Lieutenant Vincent, where we having it, in the hangar?" Steele asked.
"Yeah, can't make it too comfortable, I want everyone awake. I need to check on a couple of things first, round 'em up if they look like they're enjoying breakfast too much," Eileen took a final mouthful of her food and stood up from the table. She spared a not particularly friendly glance at the woman she'd been talking to, "Miss Williams, I'd like a word outside, now."

Eileen left the mess room and waited in the corridor outside. After a few seconds Williams followed her out, and Eileen waited for the mess room door to slide shut behind the other woman before speaking.

"Alright Miss Williams, you've given me the standard USCM Intelligence spiel. Base, pirates, nice straightforward mission. I can't help but thinking back to the last couple of nice straightforward missions we've been sent on, and there were just a couple of little details Intelligence managed to miss out. Homicidal aliens, rather military looking people in black trying to kill us all, little things like that."

"Now, I didn't get a chance to talk to the people who provided out intel after those missions, but believe me I wouldn't have been happy if I had. You, I'm going to be able to chat to when I get back. So, before I go brief my people is there maybe anything else you can think of you'd like to tell me?"

nd Lieutenant Eileen Vincent
Platoon Commander

Dugan
First Lieutenant

Turn 2

Post by Dugan » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:05 am

Dugan woke up with a cold sweat opened his eyes and looked around. He noted he was the last to rise from the cryopods, not surprising as it'd been his first journey in one barring the simulations at boot camp, which could never re-create the real sensation.

He kissed the cheap silver cross that hung around his neck and crossed himself. Then pulled himself up an out of the tube, his large frame contorting to squeeze out. He quickly made his way to his locker and started suiting up, pulling on his boots & BDU's, which still had the smell associated with new clothes. Lastly he adjusted his hair in his locker mirror stepped back and looked at his reflection in the mirror, his mum and dad would be so proud of their son he thought to himself.

He then made his way through to the canteen area and took the food offered by the synthetic cook, he heard the complaints of the other marines regarding it, however they'd probably never had to scavenge for food in the South Harlem streets, where living conditions were so bad the bubonic plague was now rife, something not witnessed on earth since the 19th century. Yeah this food was like a king's banquet in comparison.

He finsihes his meal and heads over to the group.
pants wrote:
"I'm glad to see you've got a healthy appetite there Bojan! Until we get replacements for those who have been transfered to the new platoon your just going have to deal with being a marine short. Both you and Eagle have seen the elephant so your going to have the teach Pvt Williams the ropes."
Sir, I am the replacement rifleman for Second Squad, I was pulled in at the last minute, by the Lieutenants C.O, and put in the cryotube by the synthetic after the rest of you were a sleep. Looks like you haven’t been informed by Priest yet. Regardless my names Pvt. Dugan Simovic.

*Salutes his C.O*
Last edited by Dugan on Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Ssg Dugan Simovic, Platoon Sergeant                 
ImageImage

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Turn 2

Post by Nick » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:34 am

"With all due respect...SIR...I think this is gravely out of line!" Williams blurted. Noticing Lt Vincent was not about to let her off the hook that easily. She got noticably irritated. But Lt Vincent could also sense her nervousness, something was wrong here. Lt Vincent leaned closer. "Well?" she said menacingly.

Her face high red. "This is not standard protocol...I will report this...you...to my boss" Williams continued as she looked more and more stressed. Trying to leave Lt Vincent slammed her palm to the wall, putting her arm in the doorway, hindering Williams to escape.

Williams nervously bit her lover lip and gave Lt Vincent a worried look. "Let me go..." she said, almost begging.

Last edited by Nick on Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Site admin

Return to “USCM 1.0 - Charybdis Campaign”