New players/readers!

Anything & Everything
Jean
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: New players/readers!

Post by Jean » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:17 pm

That sounds good. Will I be able to partake in Boot Camp also? I'm a good writer that writes novels, but I've never played a table-top game. I tried my best understanding the pdf files of the playbook but it made my eyes cross. I think diving in is going to help me a lot since no one has messenger to show me how in a hands-on experience.

From what I can telly by the missions so far, it is mostly literary but when combat comes, I might have some trouble. I suppose it's a good thing my character isn't going to be fighting. This will also give me extra time to understand how the skillsets work.

If I do anything wrong, please don't get mad at me. I'll gladly change anything you wish but I can guarantee that, at first, I'm probably going to make mistakes. I'll get better at it.
Jean Wey - Assigned On-Loan Synthetic from Weyland Yutani.
Model# 406-6/Female

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:21 pm

Getting mad att people is not the way we do stuff around here - And don't worry about the rules. You only need to tell what You want to do, all roll of dice are handled by me or whoever is GM.

The game itself is actually rather simple once You learn to decipher what all numbers mean.

//N
Site admin

Jean
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Jean » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:27 pm

ah okay, cool.

I might have the time to ask you some questions. As far as doing things. Say I'm writing my character, and I want to start doing research on a Xenomorph facehugger, or deciding to leave a room to grab some supplies.

In my thinking right now, the stuff above can be openly written for my character without having to roll right?

But say, as far as... For example:

Jean is working at the lab and a Xenomorph slips by security. She turns around and ---- (How do I tell you beforehand that I wish to run like hell? Do you roll a dice for that?)

Things like this might help me lol.
Model# 406-6/Female

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:59 pm

As long as You don't move the setting too far or play any NPC characters or any other players characters You can be quite elaborate. You can assume success on minor tasks automatically, However if You do something that could harm or gain Yourself or any other character You would need to call for a roll.

//N
Site admin

Jean
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Jean » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:26 pm

You mean, we're not allowed to create or interact with ficticious characters that we make in order to move the story along? That sort of limits our posting a lot if that's what you mean. I'm capable of contributing multiple pages worth of reading material if I'm allowed to interact with a character that doesn't belong to anyone. That's one of the major parts of writing and allows for the production of a lot of material.

Do you mean we can't do this? Or do you mean, that we can't interact with NPC's that other characters use for their story? If we are confined to only our own reactions to what each other writer add's, this will take a very long time.
Model# 406-6/Female

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:34 am

Well thats what differs roleplaying games somewhat from more freeform games - And it DO take a long time. These two last missions have taken almost a year to complete. The pace is slow, almost excruciatingly slow, but thats the way things are in online roleplaying game as so much depends on the GM.

Yes I wish I could spend two to three hours every day still on this hobby. I used to before when I ran PBEM games, compiling each turn chronological order took hours. This changed when I changed to play by forum method with this game were all posts are sorted automatically. However my free time these days, unlike when I were a teenager eons ago, are extremely limited. I work full time as a cop and a lot of extra hours on top of that. The work itself is demanding to say the least and sometimes takes the better of me.

This pace is the fastest I can manage currently. Before we had two GMs, Pale Rider and me. Then the pace was much higher. But when pale rider quit the game I had to do some serious cutting down. I actually restarted the whole ballot and changed rules set as well - If had not made these changes and Dugan helped me out as much as he did the game would not have survived.

I hope this won't scare you off. This is a little different than what You are used too. However I feel that the rewards are quite high, here we write everything in cooperation with each other. We write in symbiosis, which can be hard to adjust to as most skilled writers are lone wolfs comfortable to have it just their way - After all thats why You write to get things out exactly as YOU want them.

Take care

//N
Site admin

Jean
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Jean » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:25 pm

I'll just see how it works but I'm not scared away. Thank you for explaining a little.
Model# 406-6/Female

Jean
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Jean » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:48 am

I can't reply in the new mission yet. Just checking to make sure that no one forgot to do something. It's been over a week and the new players are sort of sitting around not able to do anything yet.
Model# 406-6/Female

Obi
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Obi » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:58 am

That is due to Mission 2 still being run.  Don't worry mate, you will get an email letting you know when Mission 3 is up.  I had to wait as well. :)
CPL Mike "Obi" O'Brien
Communications Operator

Chris Shepard
Private

Post by Chris Shepard » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:13 am

Hey folks!

I've been itching to find a good PBP RPG online, and this seems right up my alley. A little background on myself...

I did a lot of RPing back in the AOL chat room days (mixed it up between modern / sci-fi / fantasy). Had a lot of fun.

I'm 22 and from the East Coast. I'm also a disabled vet (Marine - Infantry). I did a seven month deployment in Fallujah in 2006. I look forward to sharing my experience with all of you. By no means am I expecting any sort of special treatment. My character will be a boot just like I was a boot. But I have a plethora of knowledge on combat, tactics, etc. I have an open door policy so please pick my brain!

With that said, I look forward to talk to you all and having a good time!
LCpl Chris Shepard
Support Squad Incinerator
"Let 'em burn..."

Jean
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Jean » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:57 am

Oh, Nice to meet you Chris. I know absolutley nothing about combat so I would love to pick your brain some day. Hope to see you around!
Model# 406-6/Female

Obi
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Obi » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:24 am

G'day mate, welcome to the game, i was in Basra at the same time you were in Fallujah.  It sucked.  8)

Look forward to seeing you in the mission.

Cheers

Obi
CPL Mike "Obi" O'Brien
Communications Operator

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:11 am

Welcome to the site Chris!

We have a rather unique roleplaying society here! Many of the players current and past have been active or retired military personnel.

Me myself also have military experience from mechanized infantry, though no actual combat experience.

I work as a police officer on my fifth year now with riot policing as a specialty training. I am also a weapons & tactics instructor and train new recruits in weapons handling.

This combined with some of the most deadly and ruthless combat rules ever made (Aliens adventure game) makes for a very interesting and thrilling roleplaying experience...

//N
Site admin

Chris Shepard
Private

Post by Chris Shepard » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:40 pm

Nice to meet all of you. Great to see there are other veterans on here! This will certainly make for an interesting gaming experience.

By the way, my OOC name is Ben.  ;D
LCpl Chris Shepard
Support Squad Incinerator
"Let 'em burn..."

Dirk Pitt
First Lieutenant

Post by Dirk Pitt » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:03 pm

Semper Fi!! Always good to have another Marine around..

I was in the Corps from 90-95
Cpl Dirk Pitt
First squad leader

Gear
Pulse Rifle w/ 4 grenades, 8 canister shells
M1911 Colt .45 caliber Sidearm
Smoke Grenade x2
KBAR Combat Knife
Portable Welder
Ithaca Shotgun

Non Combat Equipment
Zippo lighter