Giving Thanks

Anything & Everything
Quinn
First Lieutenant

Giving Thanks

Post by Quinn » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:57 am

Well, it's the holiday season here in the States. I always feel good around this time of year, because my family is close by. It's a warm feeling.

But I also, every year, think of those who don't get to be with their families for Thanksgiving and Christmas, especially those in the military who are deployed in theater.

Regardless of my or anyone else's feelings on whether the current war is justified or not, I give thanks and prayers that as many soldiers see their family for Christmas as possible. And I hope those families also get to see their sons and daughters, their fathers and mothers, their brothers and sisters, and not have to worry about them for a single day.

I also think of those who cannot be with their families because of their injuries too serious to move them from a hospital. So to that end, I'm going to volunteer at my local Veteran's hospital and maybe help ease some suffering this holiday season.

Then there are soldiers who cannot be with their families again. They have eternal rest, but I give my prayers out to their families, asking my goddess to ease their pain during the holidays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INj75VHjthk

The above poem was written by a Sergeant on leave while in Washington D.C. during Op. Desert Shield. It makes it's rounds every year during this time, and is supposedly based on a true story of a soldier that had died on Christmas morning from exposure in Iraq. Regardless of whether that is true or not, it's a good poem.

Return to “Off topic”