Firefly/Serenity RP Site

Anything & Everything
Morse
Captain

Firefly/Serenity RP Site

Post by Morse » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:43 am

Hey guys. I don't talk a whole lot about other stuff that aint involving this site, as some of you may already know. But I love Rping, and there's one site in particular that I am a big fan of.

If you've ever seen the show 'Firefly' or the move 'Serenity', then you'll know exactly what I'm getting at here. It's an RP based on those, and a pretty damn good one at that. I don't know if your the same enthusiast towards that show as myself, but if you are, this might be a place for you.

http://fireflyseriesrp.proboards.com/index.cgi

maxvale76
Chief Warrant Officer 3

Re: Firefly/Serenity RP Site

Post by maxvale76 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:12 pm

Hey Morse; I'm a big fan of Firefly (less so of the movie Serenity) and I'll definitely be checking out the link you provided; also, not sure if you were aware; but there is a licensed Serenity RPG out there (from Margrate Weiss Productions) and here's a site that's built around it and the other games produced by MWP:

cortexsystemrpg.org

I like the system for the most part and have run a RL Firefly game for awhile (might come back to it in a few months) for some friends and have (and am) a part of couple of PBPs on the site listed above; eheck it out and I'll definitely check out the link you provided.

I loved the Firefly TV show; but I'm rather unusual in that it's the ONLY thing so far from Joss Whedon that I have liked....I can't stand Buffy or Angel or any of that crap...but Firefly rocked!

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:30 pm

I'm aware of Cortexsystems. I'm not the biggest fan of that place because of it's lack of organization, coupled with the fact that a majority of the ships they list, they stole from other people.

But this is one of your more standard forum RP's, where there isn't a lot of numbers, it's all about the Roleplay itself.

Darkblade Bug
Master Gunnery Sergeant
Master Gunnery Sergeant

Post by Darkblade Bug » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:27 pm

Tried getting into the cortex system for a FF rp...but our DM's were absolutely useless. Turned into a browncoat circle-jerk. For an alliance fan like yours truly, it got old fast. The face the DM made up everything on the spot and hadn't done ANY planning despite having had months to do so also didn't appeal.

Quinn
First Lieutenant

Post by Quinn » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:34 pm

Well Darkblade, most of the people who enjoy Firefly are Browncoat sympathizers (like yours truly) simply because in the Verse, the Alliance is a big organized, corrupt government that is pretty easy to hate because it doesn't keep the promises it made. So most people enjoy it.

Personally I like playing the little people who took neither side in the war, usually former lawmen. Always makes things interesting.

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Well, as with most places, these people are more Independent friendly. It's not to say you couldn't make an Alliance man, it'd just might be a bit rough for you in terms of being able to play with other people. Of course a neutral character that supported/ fought for the Alliance, those are fine.

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:12 am

Were still taking new members if anyone's looking to go.

taimdala
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by taimdala » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:27 am

maxvale76 wrote: I loved the Firefly TV show; but I'm rather unusual in that it's the ONLY thing so far from Joss Whedon that I have liked....I can't stand Buffy or Angel or any of that crap...but Firefly rocked!

You too? Wow, I thought I was the only one. *High Five!*
ImageCpl. Dmitri Mikhailovich Barayev
Current Gear
Light Armor
M41A Rifle + 2 clips
VP70 Pistol + 2 clips
Knife
8 grenades
Entrenching Tool
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image

"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."

taimdala
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by taimdala » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:40 am

(oops. duplicate post. dang smartphone ain't so smart sometimes....)
Last edited by taimdala on Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Gear
Light Armor
M41A Rifle + 2 clips
VP70 Pistol + 2 clips
Knife
8 grenades
Entrenching Tool
Image Image

"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."

taimdala
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by taimdala » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:43 am

Quinn wrote:Well Darkblade, most of the people who enjoy Firefly are Browncoat sympathizers (like yours truly) simply because in the Verse, the Alliance is a big organized, corrupt government that is pretty easy to hate because it doesn't keep the promises it made. So most people enjoy it.

Personally I like playing the little people who took neither side in the war, usually former lawmen. Always makes things interesting.
I played a Firefly/Serenity PC who saw the war from both sides. Started out on one, defected to the other. I loved playing the angle of someone having to deprogram all the propaganda she'd been indoctrinated with. Even so, I was looking to explore the idea of soft vs. hard tyranny, of indoctrination so subtle and and yet so complete that it took something pretty horrible to make my character recognize it for what it was. In the end I came up with several scenarios of what it was like to live as a Core-side citizen and yet be disenfranchised and fall through the cracks of "Civilization". But that's one of the things I loved about the Serenity RPG by Margaret Weiss Productions. All its mechanical faults notwithstanding, it gave us players a way to explore stuff we never got to see due to the early cancellation of the show.

What I would love to see is the Firefly/Serenity universe opened up to licensed fan fic. CW channel has already made a deal with Amazon.com for their Kindle line. Maybe if that business model becomes successful, Fox/Universal will consider doing the same for thr Firefly/Serenity Verse.

Hey, we all gotta have dreams that exceed our reach, right? Else what is a heaven for?
Current Gear
Light Armor
M41A Rifle + 2 clips
VP70 Pistol + 2 clips
Knife
8 grenades
Entrenching Tool
Image Image

Whisky
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Whisky » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:35 am

As much as I love Firefly; as an RP setting it really doesn't appeal to me, although I'm not to sure as to why.

That and that website is so hard to look at. It's on reason I like this site so much. It's clean cut and not busy. You've got one banner which clearly shows what it's about and then a conventional clean phpBB layout that is really easy to read.
Pvt. Thomas Colson
2nd Squad - Medic

maxvale76
Chief Warrant Officer 3

Post by maxvale76 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:49 pm

Wow.....somebody else shares my opinion on Joss Whedon...I always thought I was on an island all by myself; but perhaps....I will have an occasional visitor! :)

I really dig Firefly; but the more I learned about its making and really delving into the episodes; the more I realize I think its Tim Minear's contributions that hook me far more than Whedon's; though of COURSE Whedon as the creator is still largely responsible for the awesome 'verse.

I DO think Firefly is a great RPG setting and I actually really like the Cortex System as an RPG system (with some minor house rules); but the version as laid out in the Demon Hunters and Battlestar Galactica book is much cleaner and makes more sense than the Serenity book initial version. (Ironically; the generic Cortex System 'universal' book actually takes some steps back in mechanics; in my opinion)

Anyway; to each their own; and I've LONG been used to being the one out on a limb (such as my love for ladies with natural Brown hair with no tattoes....and no I'm not religious and trying to find said women with no tats and natural, undyed brown hair between the ages of 20-40 is like finding the proverbial needle in a haystack. Lucky for me; I'm married to one.....unlucky for her; she's stuck with me....I ain't going back out into that singles world! :) )

Ahem....back to the topic at hand; I haven't actually been to that site in a long time; kinda been seriously sidetracked in terms of RPGs these past few years....might have to take another look here soon...
ImageSGT Samantha "Sam" Hall

M41A Pulse Rifle

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:58 pm

This site is long since dead. This was 3 years remember. Well I should rephrase to say its really not anything like the Firefly site it was when I was there. More like an inactive Resident Evil-Matrix thing with 'Firefly' for its name and an Admin that yells at you all the time.

If you're looking for Firefly, the 'Verse' is your best bet.

http://watchasisoar.proboards.com/index.cgi
Image-SSG Allen Morse - Squad Leader
-3rd Bn, 2nd Reg, 1st Co, 8th Plt
- DEVIL DAWG
- M41A Pulse Rifle - M4 Pistol - Med Kit
Image Image Image Image

taimdala
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by taimdala » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:00 pm

If you're interested in what Margaret Weiss Productions has in store for their newly minted Firefly license (as opposed to their Serenity license ... which I'm not sure they have anymore), gohere.

Their cortexsystemrpg.org site was taken down about a year ago. I don't think they've got it back up, but let me check through my bookmarks. I seem to recall (dimly) that a fellow Browncoat and fan propsmaker gave me the link to the new improved Cortex forums.
Current Gear
Light Armor
M41A Rifle + 2 clips
VP70 Pistol + 2 clips
Knife
8 grenades
Entrenching Tool
Image Image

taimdala
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by taimdala » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:11 pm

Here's an interesting website--I think this was the one I was remembering in my previous post.

It's Serenity Plus, one person's take on how to improve on the old Cortex Systems RPG rules for Serenity RPG that MWP originally published. It's good reading. You can see it here. It's not quite the same as the old Cortexsystemrpg.org forum site and csrpg.org was not the same as the older Waves in the Black forum site (I mourned the loss of their shipyards and verse speculation forums) ... but Serenity and Firefly will survive in some fashion or another online.

We Browncoats are a damned stubborn buncha Reubens.
Current Gear
Light Armor
M41A Rifle + 2 clips
VP70 Pistol + 2 clips
Knife
8 grenades
Entrenching Tool
Image Image

Return to “Off topic”