Lost Planet Three: A better Aliens game than A:CM

Anything & Everything
MarcusOTerra
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Lost Planet Three: A better Aliens game than A:CM

Post by MarcusOTerra » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:53 pm

Okay, so I picked up a used copy of LP3 two days ago, and immediately I like the game for the subtle references to things like the Hoth base in Star Wars in the way the ice base was designed and that the main character's wife send him a playlist of tunes that sounds like it was pulled from the Firefly soundtrack.

Then I get to the *spoilers ahead warning* lost colony. Holy hell, where do I start. Auto turrets with warped barrels set up at choke points, prefab hallways that look like they're off a space ship, and two enemies who are a LITTLE too familiar.

One of them is a fast, pack hunter, with long claws that likes to sneak up behind you and try and take off your head.

The other is a small monster with a long tentacle tail that tries to eat your face, by shrieking and jumping at you.

The level is FULL of Aliens references, including, in the barricaded command center, a "Prototype Pulse Rifle" No underslung grenade launcher and when they say prototype they mean "We've intentionally given this hard hitting gun a wonky rate of fire"

but the tension, the eerieness, and the general swarmed feeling I got was better than playing Colonial Marines.

Oh, they gave the evil and detached corporation NEVEC a shiny yellow V in their name, like the WY in our detached and evil corp. So that's a cherry.

Anyone else play games that had a better job of pulling off that feel than the recent Aliens games?
Salazar 'Salamander' Boothe: 'Private', 'Medic', 'Marine'.
Load out: As Turn Two of Watch Dog
Pulse Rifle: Clip loaded +4 on person.
1 Field Surgery Kit
3 First aid Kits
4 smoke grenades
Breather Mask.

Return to “Off topic”