Gun Talk

How to join, advice, Q&A, general discussions
Obi
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Re: Gun Talk

Post by Obi » Sun May 31, 2009 7:26 am

Nick wrote:
Why use an SMG that doesn't have another function other than semi-auto? At least get a burst function on that thing Nick

Mainly because our laws are written in a way that requires you to check for effect after each round fired - We've had police officers thrown into jail firing back in self defense.

//N

How the hell are you supposed to do that when you have rounds coming down range at you??
CPL Mike "Obi" O'Brien
Communications Operator

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:48 pm

You don't.

But the lawmakers didn't think of that.

//N
Site admin

Dugan
First Lieutenant

Post by Dugan » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:33 pm

You have to remember though Europe is a lot different to the U.S, not everyone and his dog owns a gun, so it's actually quite rare for a police man to be involved in shoot out.
Image Ssg Dugan Simovic, Platoon Sergeant                 
ImageImage

Obi
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Obi » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:23 am

Its the same down here in Australia.  Especially when they introduced the anti gun laws about 9 odd years ago now.  Still when the Police do have to use their weapons in anger, they don't really have to worry about being the criminals.  I don't know how you work like that mate.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CPL Mike "Obi" O'Brien
Communications Operator

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:55 am

It is very rare for Swedish police to be involved in shootings - And it is even more rare for swedish police to get shot  - I can recommend the website www.spmp.se which lists all Swedish officers who have been killed in the line of duty since 1900.  ;)

The latest incident was in northern sweden where the swedish national task force engaged armed robbers in a five minute firefight just two weeks ago (probably the largest in swedish police history) with over 200 rounds fired with assault rifles back and forth. A police dog was killed and a bankrobber was seriously wounded by a police sniper(!).

I have myself only drawn the weapon as a deterrant, but as late as two years ago a police shot a robber in the leg here in our little town!

//N
Site admin

Ranger2011
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Ranger2011 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:50 am

Well. Being in Iraq you use your weapon as a deterrant quite often. I was in three firefights and in one of them I ''fired'' two insurgents. But anyway, any weapon you point at someone is going to scare them, you just need to be sure it will ''stop'' them if the need arises. War is rough, watching friends die, being shot at. It is more psychological than anything. Why do you think i'm doing Logistics for the 82nd? LOL.
Private Michael K. Johnson
Motion Tracker Expert, Comm/Computer and Portable Welder Professional

Nick
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nick » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:03 pm

True.

//N
Site admin

Obi
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Obi » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:52 pm

Ranger2011 wrote: Well. Being in Iraq you use your weapon as a deterrant quite often. I was in three firefights and in one of them I ''fired'' two insurgents. But anyway, any weapon you point at someone is going to scare them, you just need to be sure it will ''stop'' them if the need arises. War is rough, watching friends die, being shot at. It is more psychological than anything. Why do you think i'm doing Logistics for the 82nd? LOL.
Amen to that brother.
CPL Mike "Obi" O'Brien
Communications Operator

Quinn
First Lieutenant

Post by Quinn » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:42 pm

Obi wrote:
Ranger2011 wrote: Well. Being in Iraq you use your weapon as a deterrant quite often. I was in three firefights and in one of them I ''fired'' two insurgents. But anyway, any weapon you point at someone is going to scare them, you just need to be sure it will ''stop'' them if the need arises. War is rough, watching friends die, being shot at. It is more psychological than anything. Why do you think i'm doing Logistics for the 82nd? LOL.
Amen to that brother.
Hooah.

To be bluntly honest though, the best gun is the one that gets the job done. After that, it's personal preference.
Current Gear
M42A Scope Rifle
M4A4 .45 ACP caliber Sidearm, Suppressed
Combat Knife
K52 Medical Kit
Flashlight, Flares (6)
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Chris Shepard
Private

Post by Chris Shepard » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:35 pm

The M16 is an over produced piece of garbage. I don't even know why they still issue those muskets. I was with a Mobile Assault Platoon driving Hummvee's. They issued nearly everyone (except Staff NCO's, Section Leaders, and Officers) M16's. Trying to get your M16 out of an uparmored, fully stocked HMMWV is not an easy task, especially when you're in a sticky situation.

Plus, the 5.56 is basically a .22 on steroids. Its tough to put people down with such a little round. Especially when they're all hopped up on drugs.
LCpl Chris Shepard
Support Squad Incinerator
"Let 'em burn..."

Quinn
First Lieutenant

Post by Quinn » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:23 am

Chris Shepard wrote: The M16 is an over produced piece of garbage. I don't even know why they still issue those muskets. I was with a Mobile Assault Platoon driving Hummvee's. They issued nearly everyone (except Staff NCO's, Section Leaders, and Officers) M16's. Trying to get your M16 out of an uparmored, fully stocked HMMWV is not an easy task, especially when you're in a sticky situation.

Plus, the 5.56 is basically a .22 on steroids. Its tough to put people down with such a little round. Especially when they're all hopped up on drugs.
M-16 is a good infantry rifle, but they could figure out little ways to shorten it without sacrificing the range and accuracy it already has. Like a telescoping stock?

The reason why it's crappy is because it wasn't designed for the jungle or sand (hello irony). It has way too many small moving parts, which makes it easier for something small like a bit of mud or sand to get in and clog the whole thing up.

Something like the AK has much larger things inside with space between the crucial parts, so sand and muck just kinda fall out to where they won't gum up the works.

For a humvee assault, I'd at least issue M-4s. Preferably G-36Cs, but I'm partial to H&K weapons.
Current Gear
M42A Scope Rifle
Combat Knife
K52 Medical Kit
Flashlight, Flares (6)
Image Image Image

Chris Shepard
Private

Post by Chris Shepard » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:37 pm

Quinn wrote:
Chris Shepard wrote: The M16 is an over produced piece of garbage. I don't even know why they still issue those muskets. I was with a Mobile Assault Platoon driving Hummvee's. They issued nearly everyone (except Staff NCO's, Section Leaders, and Officers) M16's. Trying to get your M16 out of an uparmored, fully stocked HMMWV is not an easy task, especially when you're in a sticky situation.

M-16 is a good infantry rifle, but they could figure out little ways to shorten it without sacrificing the range and accuracy it already has. Like a telescoping stock?

The reason why it's crappy is because it wasn't designed for the jungle or sand (hello irony). It has way too many small moving parts, which makes it easier for something small like a bit of mud or sand to get in and clog the whole thing up.

Something like the AK has much larger things inside with space between the crucial parts, so sand and muck just kinda fall out to where they won't gum up the works.

For a humvee assault, I'd at least issue M-4s. Preferably G-36Cs, but I'm partial to H&K weapons.
I hear ya. Its funny, because almost all of the guys in the Motor Transport platoon were issued M4's. Yet nearly everyone in Weapons Company (who did all the humvee driving) was issued M16's. Didn't make any sense. The Motor-T guys would leave the wire, but we'd be the ones going on patrols and doing assaults.

I highly doubt the US military would ever issue anything like a G-36. The manufacturer's of the M-16 have the government under their thumb.
LCpl Chris Shepard
Support Squad Incinerator
"Let 'em burn..."

Quinn
First Lieutenant

Post by Quinn » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:51 pm

Actually, the military is shopping around for a new infantry rifle and a new round. They're going for a 6.5mm round, but nothing new on what gun they finally decided on. I think they scrapped it because there wasn't enough money (shock). Too bad, I really liked the H&K416. But only Delta gets to use that.
Current Gear
M42A Scope Rifle
Combat Knife
K52 Medical Kit
Flashlight, Flares (6)
Image Image Image

Raider65
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Raider65 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:16 am

The US Military is looking at the SCAR family of weapons. US Navy SeALs are already using them. I thought the XM8 weapon system was a good idea but it got dropped in Oct 2005. The USMC is looking for an IAR to replace the M249 SAW as the fire team automatic weapon ( the Squad would keep 1 SAW position), they're looking at four models right now. I believe one is an H&K variant of the 416, 2 are Colts and the other is a SCAR variant.

Which 6.5 are you talking about? They tried the 6.8 SPC but have now dropped it. The 6.5 Grendel while very accurate, would require a complete redesign of the M16/M4/SAW also the at best 3 MOA assault/battle rifle can't use it to it's potential (They did make a lightweight sniper rifle in this caliber though). 6.5 MPC, designed by a Marine, was never embraced by the US Military even though it would be the easiest to change to with only a barrel change unlike the 6.8 SPC which required both a bolt face/group and barrel change.

The M16A2's I used were all good rifles. They still had M16A1s in Boot when I was in. And the M4s didn't exsist. We had XM177E2s, which are the granddaddies to the M4s and were just M16A1s with cut down 10 - 12" barrels with funky tube flash suppressers.

Ruger is now making a M4 type rifle called SR-556 but with a piston rod gas system for reliability in sandy environments.
Image  LCpl Erik Stormhurst
ImageImage

Obi
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Obi » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:22 am

Is the new round to supplement the 5.56mm?  What about keeping with the NATO standard?  That would mean a lot of Allied Nations would have to change as well.
CPL Mike "Obi" O'Brien
Communications Operator

Return to “The Game”