In universe questions

How to join, advice, Q&A, general discussions
Medic Guy
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

In universe questions

Post by Medic Guy » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:52 am

Wanted to see what you all think of a few things in universe.

Would Bishop or other synthetics be susceptible to takers and other types of electricity based weaponry?

Do female marines of the future still deal with birth control and menstrual issues as modern soldiers.

It seems to me like information is not exactly easy to come by like the internet isn't accessible by the general public. Share your thoughts/interpretation.

maxvale76
Chief Warrant Officer 3

Re: In universe questions

Post by maxvale76 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:24 pm

Please note all of what I'm about to write is STRICTLY my own opinion and apologies for any who feel differently....I don't mean to come across as calling anyone out nor that my view is the "RIGHT" view, etc.

I have no idea what a "taker" is; but I'd guess that androids like Bishop would be pretty resistant to electrical weapons, save perhaps for something that directly impacted (in the literal sense) them....i.e. something that penetrated their 'flesh' before delivering its charge. I don't think an EMP burst or Electrical signal would harm them....but that's just my take....

As for the second....I won't speak for anyone else, but I feel no need to bring up/worry about these issues. Personally I have zero interest in reading about any sexual 'conquests' (save in the more generic...."Yeah, I hooked up with this sexy chick/dude back on the blah-blah-blah colony" kinda down-time talk; nor about bodily function stuff. (Nobody brings up bathroom stuff for example)

Also....I don't want to be 'that guy'....but I also don't really need to hear about any particular character's T&A or schlong, etc.; again, except in generic "joking" kinda comments...."Nice pecs for an old man Sarge!"....or "...watch that sweet a$$ of yours CPL!" in a joking manner between friends who've served together for a long time is fine.....but I don't need to hear about CPL so-and-so's ta-tas hanging out or PVT Shumuckatelli's super huge dong or shredded abs.....to me, it's just a silly cry for attention that isn't needed in these kind of games.

Frankly, I'm here to play a Colonial Marine a la what was seen in Aliens (the movie....I don't play computer games nor have I read any comics/books based on the material, but I know they exist).....and deal with situations involving combat with other humans, other aliens, etc. in the future that was presented in that film. I very much enjoy the camaraderie and military feel of the setting and while I truly enjoy seeing how friendships spin out of such situations; I've got zero interest in fictional hook-ups in a gaming setting.

Again, this is just me though......others may feel differently....but to me, it's just high-schoolish soap-opera kinda stuff and that is most definitely NOT why I'm here.

I hope that helps.
ImageSGT Samantha "Sam" Hall

M41A Pulse Rifle
Image Image Image Image Image Image

taimdala
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by taimdala » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:59 pm

I agree with Maxvale's post. Some details are just TMI.

Basically, you have to ask yourself as a writer: is it really necessary to the story?

But, I can hear the chorus piping up: we're players, we're not writers. Why bother asking that question?

Putting aside completely the technical details of spelling, punctuation, and grammar as well as the more subjective elements of style in terms of sentence structure, vocabulary, and organization, play by post would not be possible without writing. The forum provides the platform but writing is still the vehicle by which we get anywhere.

And as players, we all have a part to play as drivers of that vehicle. As such, we do need to take some care in how we drive.

Unlike writing a novel (first draft of it, anyway), we really can't write *anything we want*, because it would inevitably bog down with derailments via diversions that are unnecessary/gratitous. Finding the balance of details and description that keep things interesting while also keeping the plot moving forward isn't easy.

For myself, writing Dmitri and Oksana's personal lives and how they interact with each other is a challenge I enjoy and sometimes also makes me tear my hair out. What to show? What to keep hidden? What can I imply?

Could I be more explicit? Sure, because the desire is there between the two characters. But should I WRITE it, even if I am up to the task?

No.

Though I might have gotten away with it in a movie from the 80s, where you could make book on the main man and main woman falling into bed by the third act--no, seriously, that expectation was catered to!--that was 40 years ago and since has become an outdated formula. I try not to fall into it when I write unless there's a compelling reason to. The reasons aren't that compelling on this venue. I'll just have to keep those scenes to myself.

Besides, the poor dears have earned a little privacy, no?

As for the OP's question? Speaking as a woman, I would like to think that by the time this story takes place, men and women can have a way to regulate their reproductive cycles through sterility on demand. Say ... an implant that delivers a pharmaceutical dose over a standard term of service (4 years? 5?), that does not inflict negative/permanent effects on the relevant organs and systems, and can be recharged if the Marine decides to re-up. While we're at it, make that thing a delivery vehicle for innoculations against disease, too.

If the universe of Aliens can hae PDTs, why not something similar to deliver necessary medical interventions, too? Hell, for all we know, the PDTs cover this job, too, but it was either too ubiquitous or universally understood to merit explicit mention in the source films and fiction.

Just my take on it. ;)
ImageCpl. Dmitri Mikhailovich Barayev
Current Gear
Light Armor
M41A Rifle + 2 clips
VP70 Pistol + 2 clips
Knife
8 grenades
Entrenching Tool
Image Image

"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Medic Guy
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Medic Guy » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:53 am

Didn't realize I was poking such a hornet nest there. Original post was meant to say tazer as far as the synthetics. It seems like humans might want or have developed a way to disable bishop or similar models. If nothing else I would think that criminal elements would find this useful to steal from facilities, harvest the synthetics for parts or re-programming, etc.

As far as the female questions, it was more of a curiosity thing. I had figured some kind of implant or injection similar to those today would be in frequent use in the future. Certainly wasn't planning on including it in a post or anything, just wondering what the thoughts were out there. I'll have to shift back to primarily a male character again. Apologies for any offense, none was intended with the questions.

taimdala
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by taimdala » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:23 am

Was there a hornet's nest? If so, I think I missed it. No offense taken over here. I'm good! No apologies needed, Medic Guy.

Um ... you okay? You're not switching characters over this are you?
Current Gear
Light Armor
M41A Rifle + 2 clips
VP70 Pistol + 2 clips
Knife
8 grenades
Entrenching Tool
Image Image

"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Medic Guy
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Medic Guy » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:40 am

No just joking on that. Writing from a female perspective is just a bit different. There's a lot of things that I would only experience on a tangential level being a husband and dad that I can only empathize with. No true practical experience. Had read an article at one point about all the mistakes that male authors make when writing female characters and perspectives.

Not sure if you all read the additions to the last campaign or not for orozco. Trying to fill in her back story up to the present. No plans on writing in an x rated scene. The opening is probably about as racy as she'll likely get other than the exchange with Quinn at the tank and sleeping bag. Just trying to make sure I wasn't implying something unintended. Sorry if I'm coming across on the sensitive side. Been a crappy 2 weeks or so at work with all the protesting and such. Appreciate the replies and perspectives.

maxvale76
Chief Warrant Officer 3

Post by maxvale76 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:08 pm

I'm sorry if I came across as 'an angry hornet'.....I certainly wasn't offended, it's just I notice when people add a lot of details or go in directions that nobody else goes in; which tends to make me wonder.....'why are they doing this?' Now, if it's something like Taimdala does; the interaction of a married couple; I find it really fascinating....or the impact of years of physically/mentally hard missions a la Morse, etc.; I think it can only add to the experience. On the other hand.....talking about running around with no clothes on (unless meant in silly one-off kind of situation) and/or going into detail about their physical charms and going into 'private time' moments, I tend to see as more of a 'this has no real place in the game' kinda way. Like those 80s action movies that would seemingly have some topless lady for a split second scene out of nowhere.....while my teenage self certainly enjoyed it....my 40 something year old self now just says...."REALLY?" :) (I'm not a prude though....I have the EXACT same reaction when you have the 'morning after' scene where the couple wakes up and the guy slips out of bed still in his boxers and the lady hold the blanket up to her neck....despite the fact that we JUST SAW THE SCENE THAT CLEARLY HAD THEM GOING AT IT LIKE RABBITS THE NIGHT BEFORE!)

I'm also in the same boat as you; that is; I"m a father and husband playing as a female character.....and while I take no offense, I DID notice that a higher percentage of time was spent describing sexual and anatomical sitautions/characteristics etc. than is usual; which is all I was trying to point out. For example, I can't really think of the last time somebody playing a male character really commented on their sex life in any kind of descriptive way; or their schlong, etc. Basically, while I understand and appreciate people playing characters much different than they are (I'm an American WASP playing a black, Jamaican-in-the-future-from-a different world female character for example :) ); one of the things I find really helpful to remember is to not add stuff that you wouldn't otherwise....If you're playing a male character (of any ethnicity, from anywhere, etc.); would you spend a lot of time describing your junk flopping around this way and that if running around a ship when you're naked for some reason? Would you describe waking up and wincing at the claw marks on your back from the night of wild fun you just had? Would you frequently describe your character pulling a shirt over 'chiseled abs and massive pecs'; etc., etc. If the answer to these questions is "no".....then why do them when playing a female character? (And vice versa)

Then again, maybe your answer is "yes"...in which case, my apologies and carry on....though I'd suggest it's a good bet not many people are particularly interested in THOSE kind of details....but then again, maybe I'm 'projecting' here. :) Anyway, like always, these are JUST MY two cents and I certainly don't mean to ever sound rude or mean or scandalized......carry on!

-Max

M41A Pulse Rifle

Corporal Hicks
Major

Post by Corporal Hicks » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:48 am

Writing from a female perspective is just a bit different…No true practical experience.
Are you sure about that, Medic Guy? >:D

As far as I remember, the rule was to keep it PG13. Anything more was supposed to be in PMs. Of course, that was the rule from 2007 but I think it still fits today.

I’ve never really gone into detail about bathroom habits and that sort of thing since it doesn’t really interest me unless it directly affects the mission. That’s one thing I like about Aliens, they don’t force a sex scene into the movie. I’m not opposed to sexuality, or sexual tension as it adds to the realism and the interest. For example, Hicks and Ripley definitely had some serious interest/tension, but they were far too busy to really address it beyond a few looks and comments. Once they got back to Gateway, who knows? (I don’t consider Alien 3 as canon.) My character Sykes is a womanizer but being Sergeant Major doesn’t afford lots of opportunities for professional flirting.

My girlfriend told me that my woman character was not well-written. I played Lieutenant Maria Gruber and basically made the opposite mistake. Other than her name she is basically a man. Violent, aggressive, sloppy, pumping with testosterone. I don’t make any claims to be a great writer, so that may be all it was.

I know that in the show Seinfeld, Jerry Seinfeld told all his writers that they had to write Elaine as a man. She just acts like one of the gang, and that’s my favorite TV show so I think there’s something to be said for that.
ImageSgtMaj. Danny Sykes - Platoon NCO
USCM Special Forces Recon Team
Serial Number: D26/TQ6.3.48412E9

taimdala
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by taimdala » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:19 am

Corporal Hicks wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:48 am
Writing from a female perspective is just a bit different…No true practical experience.
Are you sure about that, Medic Guy? >:D

As far as I remember, the rule was to keep it PG13. Anything more was supposed to be in PMs. Of course, that was the rule from 2007 but I think it still fits today.

I’ve never really gone into detail about bathroom habits and that sort of thing since it doesn’t really interest me unless it directly affects the mission. That’s one thing I like about Aliens, they don’t force a sex scene into the movie. I’m not opposed to sexuality, or sexual tension as it adds to the realism and the interest. For example, Hicks and Ripley definitely had some serious interest/tension, but they were far too busy to really address it beyond a few looks and comments. Once they got back to Gateway, who knows? (I don’t consider Alien 3 as canon.) My character Sykes is a womanizer but being Sergeant Major doesn’t afford lots of opportunities for professional flirting.

My girlfriend told me that my woman character was not well-written. I played Lieutenant Maria Gruber and basically made the opposite mistake. Other than her name she is basically a man. Violent, aggressive, sloppy, pumping with testosterone. I don’t make any claims to be a great writer, so that may be all it was.

I know that in the show Seinfeld, Jerry Seinfeld told all his writers that they had to write Elaine as a man. She just acts like one of the gang, and that’s my favorite TV show so I think there’s something to be said for that.

There is something to be said for that!

Case in point: myself.

It was something I witnessed but couldn't explain: women in their teens get all "boy-crazy" OR they become emotional roller coasters and everything is hateful or it's beautiful and either way, they're crying their eyes out.

I saw this happening with my friends in junior and senior high school and just couldn't figure out how they could be rational one moment and utter aliens from another planet the next. (Guys, you are NOT ALONE in thinking this. I did--and still do--too!)

Fast forward 40 years.

I have a small but tight-knit posse of women friends and we hang out on a regular basis. We're all married old broads and we can get pretty salty. So teen angst came up one night and boy, did that open up the floodgates. And I discovered that my friends weren't the aliens in junior/senior high that I'd witnessed--I WAS, because I didn't go all hormonal like everyone else. I was pretty even-keeled. When they explained to me the USUAL ride through a female's teen years meant losing your mind emotionally, I just looked them in the eye and said, if that's being a woman, I guess I'm not a woman.

And glad I was spared that, thanks.

For your show Sienfeld, I give you Sex in the City. In that show you've a group of women who act like MEN when it comes to relationships. (I've heard it said that they act, specifically, more like GAY MEN when it comes to relationships. Nevery having roomed with a gay guy going through serial relationships, I'll have to withold my opinion on the accuracy/veracity of that statement.) Women acting like men. Yeah, okay. I can see it.

Point being: it's possible that you're going to have atypical people in Real Life. It happens in fiction too. I just hope that everyone will try to write it in a way that entertains or at least doesn't annoy the reader.

If you wanna talk annoying--sit coms. OY! The forced jokes, the canned laughter, the really inane situations. OMG, it's a lamefest. I can't watch them. They give me heartburn.
Current Gear
Light Armor
M41A Rifle + 2 clips
VP70 Pistol + 2 clips
Knife
8 grenades
Entrenching Tool
Image Image

maxvale76
Chief Warrant Officer 3

Post by maxvale76 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:13 pm

This has nothing to do with the current topic, so apologies in advance for the de-rail....

I seem to be the only person I know who never saw the appeal of Seinfeld. Other than George, I find none of the characters funny....Jerry least of all and while I really enjoy Julia Louise Dreyfuss in other roles.....I never liked Elaine. On the other hand just about every network show I really liked (I stopped watching years ago when we cut the cord) got cancelled....so I guess I'm just a terrible judge. (Anybody rememer "Life" with Damien Lewis and Sarah Shahi? What a FANTASTIC show! Or 'Pushing Daisies'?....or the short lived 'Better off Ted'? I thought that show was HILLARIOUS!....I think it might have lasted 10 episodes....sigh.....I'll go back to hiding under my rock now....

:)

M41A Pulse Rifle

wargamer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by wargamer » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:44 pm

Medic Guy wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:52 am Do female marines of the future still deal with birth control and menstrual issues as modern soldiers.
While I agree with the sentiment that this is mostly in TMI territory, there is also a real world answer in-case it ever does become relevant.
Adult women in positions that demand a lot of intensive physical exertion, (athletes, soldiers, construction workers, etc) often temporarily lose their menstrual cycle. It's something to do with the changes in hormone levels tricking the body into thinking it's in immediate danger and now would be a really bad time to have a baby!
So I'd guess a female marine in a front-line combat unit would be effectively infertile for the duration of her deployment.
ImagePFC Darren 'Doc' Kelly - Medic
Serial Number: D44/TQ9.21.47645E2
Current Equipment
M-41A Pulse Rifle w/ 4 Mags
M4A3 Pistol w/ 2 Mags
K-52 Field Medical Pack
2x M-18 Smoke Grenades (Red)
6x M-94 Flares
2x K-Bar Combat/Survival Knives

JuanPerez
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by JuanPerez » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:26 pm

That is great news for me ;D
Game Master
————————————
Image 1st Lt Daniela Harper - Platoon CO
Serial Number A08/TQ3.0.45013E2
Image Image Image

M10 Pattern Balistic Helmet
M3 Pattern Personal Armor
M41A Pulse Rifle (6 Mags, 20 Grenades)
Service Pistol (2 Mags)
Combat Knife
Shoulder Lamp
Portable Command Terminal
M94 Marking Flares

taimdala
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by taimdala » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:46 pm

wargamer wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:44 pm
Medic Guy wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:52 am Do female marines of the future still deal with birth control and menstrual issues as modern soldiers.
While I agree with the sentiment that this is mostly in TMI territory, there is also a real world answer in-case it ever does become relevant.
Adult women in positions that demand a lot of intensive physical exertion, (athletes, soldiers, construction workers, etc) often temporarily lose their menstrual cycle. It's something to do with the changes in hormone levels tricking the body into thinking it's in immediate danger and now would be a really bad time to have a baby!
So I'd guess a female marine in a front-line combat unit would be effectively infertile for the duration of her deployment.
There are many physical reasons for amenorrhea (cessation of menstruation) and rigorous sustained physical activity is one of them. Athletes, professional dancers, and people who regularly undergo hard activity (and usually paired with low body weight and stress) do experience this. However, the threshold for this is different for each person affected and such rigorous sustained physical activity is not a guaranteed trigger for amenorrhea. Given we have reliable ovulation suppressants in the 21st century, there's no plausible reason to believe that we would not have the same sort of suppressant in the setting for our game. A nice side benefit of ovulation suppression is the minimizing or cessation of menstruation.

In my head canon, Marines are routinely injected with a timed release birth control delivery device, made to last the entire term of enlistment. If you re-up, you need to recharge the birth control unit. It's monitored as part of the routine health checks/physical qualifications each Marine must maintain, so unwanted pregnancies is not really something anybody in service needs to worry about.

As for protection against STDs? Yeah, no. Not touching that topic. LOL! I would like to think that by the century our game takes place, we'll have managed to discover a wide array of anti-viral drugs and use them. Sooner or later, I'll have to reference anti-virals in my capacity as Oksana Barayeva's player, to say nothing of anything more grisly: compound fractures, skull fractures, organ transplants ... third kidneys .... I guess I'll have to start trawling articles from the Mayo Clinic website. LOL!
Current Gear
Light Armor
M41A Rifle + 2 clips
VP70 Pistol + 2 clips
Knife
8 grenades
Entrenching Tool
Image Image

Return to “The Game”