The 8th campaign
Nick
Administrator
Administrator

M1T7 - Under pressure

Post by Nick » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:28 pm

2179 AD, 1st November
Mission timer: 00.34.54

The first light looked light a mere shimmer in the distance, something fleetingly visible. Then, as the marines came closer, the light solidified and turned into an a yellow aura.

Lt Moore hovered with his sub slightly behind and above the marines, completely dark.

"Ok I got the beacon...Simovic, split and envelope the station. I don't want anyone sneaking out the back whilst we are moving up. Chances are they are going to notice us real soon"

The marines passed a jagged piece of black rock that portruded from the milky white sediment of the bottom - Visible only thanks to the backlighting.

"Careful, don't get snagged here" someone commented.

Just as the marines prepared to split up Eyeball noticed something flickering in the corner of his eye. "Contact and it's a large one too...moving in slowly from the opposite of the station."

Lt Moores voice snapped in. "We have it as well, switch to passive scanning we don't want them to know we are here just yet. It might be another sub...its big. Simovic prepare for contact!"

<<actions>>

Bobater
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: M1T7 - Under pressure

Post by Bobater » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:22 am

Alan motioned the pulse rifle at the object he thought was a sub. "Orders sir!

(Tag Simovic)
Pvt. Alan Shepard

"Peace through superior firepower."

eyeball
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by eyeball » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:44 am

"aye aye, scans to passive." patch responded.

pants
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Post by pants » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:22 am

This is it! thought Gordon to himself as he moved slowly into position. The deep sea armour was surprisingly responsive but it still limited his freedom of movement.

Gordon could feel the mixture of fear and adrenalin in the pit of his stomach as he formed up with the rest of 2 Squad.

"Ummm whats the plan Sargeant Ishizawa? We going to sit here and hold position?" asked the young marine over the commset.

"Hey O'Brien and Johnson! Either of you guys pissed your pants before a mission? Because I don't want to be the only one!" says Gordon before laughing briskly and bringing up his pulse rifle, its targeting indicator popping up on the inside of his helmet.

Dugan
First Lieutenant

Post by Dugan » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:16 pm

Nick wrote:
Lt Moores voice snapped in. "We have it as well, switch to passive scanning we don't want them to know we are here just yet. It might be another sub...its big. Simovic prepare for contact!"

"Ok Lt, thanks for the heads up. Ok Marines dis-engage your suit thrusters so you sink into the silt and then crouch, hopefully that way this thing will pass overhead without seeing us. If it does attack us I want everyone to use M40 grenades on it, I don't think an object of this size will be bothered by Pulse Rifle fire".

<Tag Platoon>

Simovic then disengaged his suit boosters and sank gently into the silt.

Obi
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Obi » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:28 pm

pants wrote: "Hey O'Brien and Johnson! Either of you guys pissed your pants before a mission? Because I don't want to be the only one!" says Gordon before laughing briskly and bringing up his pulse rifle, its targeting indicator popping up on the inside of his helmet.

"Not before a mission, but i came pretty close during my first one. I'll tell you all about out over a few beers when we get back from this one." Obi respond quickly to Gordons' question, as all his attention was focused on ensuring that nothing came up from or above the section. For fuck sake, any contact is pretty much going to be on top of us before we know it Obi's thoughts were interrupted with the shout of contact came through his headset.

Nick wrote:"Contact and it's a large one too...moving in slowly from the opposite of the station."

<<actions>>

" Two section, i want a line abreast formation on the platoons' right flank, move now! Check your targets, if its unfriendly waste it, though remember, until we get inside the station we only have the 95 rds each, so make'em count."

<tag Two Section>
(OOC - Two Section is moving to the right flank)

maxvale76
Chief Warrant Officer 3

Post by maxvale76 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:35 pm

Sam sent a terse, "Aye, aye"; in response to SGT Simovic's order; and disengaged her boosters and felt herself sink into the silt. Her heart began hammering as she shifted her hand to be in position to fire the grenade launcher built into her Pulse Rifle.

Glancing over at the rest of her squad, she tried to ensure that she was in a position to cover and support any moves that SGT Pitt, Morse, or Stormhurst might make. Switching to third squad's freq, she asked; "Any particular way you want us to deploy Sarge?", she asked Dirk.

<Tag Dirk and Third Squad>

Bobater
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bobater » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:39 pm

Alan had already switched to passisve scaning he readied the M40 grenade launcher and disengaged the thrusters on the suit sinking slowly.
Obi wrote
" Two section, i want a line abreast formation on the platoons' right flank, move now! Check your targets, if its unfriendly waste it, though remember, until we get inside the station we only have the 95 rds each, so make'em count."
"Got it O'brian."
Pvt. Alan Shepard

"Peace through superior firepower."

Altair
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Altair » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:29 pm

The suit was released and Altair started to descend towards the bottom of the ocean. Engaging thrusters the marine slowed down just slightly touching the bottom of the ocean. The controls were easy to understand, being left handed gave a small bonus when trying to control the suit the other bonus was the fact that he had some training with HARD suits - not that they were identical but both of them were quite bulky and after a few minutes of practice and adjustments Altair almost forgot that he was in a suite.

The surrounding darkness was a bit scary but he was not a lone and it was the only thing that stopped panic bubbling up inside. On the other hand the uneasy feeling that something would come out of that darkness and attack them never went away. Trying not to look at it Altair remembered a verse he had read in some book, the name of the book never imprinted in his mind but he always remembered the saying when he was out in space.

“When you look into the abyss the abyss looks back at you…”

He knew that author probably meant something else when he wrote it down but right now surrounded by all that darkness no other meaning came to mind. Trying not to look at “the abyss,” Altair kept his eyes straight, quietly listening to comm chatter, while following his squad leader.
"Ok I got the beacon...Simovic, split and envelope the station. I don't want anyone sneaking out the back whilst we are moving up. Chances are they are going to notice us real soon"
Altair shook his head clearing his thoughts, it was time to concentrate otherwise this would be his last mission. Quickly checking his rifle, bearings and oxygen levels Altair scanned for any possible threats.
"Ok Lt, thanks for the heads up. Ok Marines dis-engage your suit thrusters so you sink into the silt and then crouch, hopefully that way this thing will pass overhead without seeing us. If it does attack us I want everyone to use M40 grenades on it, I don't think an object of this size will be bothered by Pulse Rifle fire".
Altair moved himself over to the black stone which they almost passed. It would be nice to have some protection on this otherwise barren ocean floor. Altair crouched beside the stone, switched to single fire mode and aimed his rifle at the object that was now approaching them, waiting for further orders from his squad leader.

<Tag Kurosaki or Quinn>
Pvt. Altair Konterran

eyeball
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by eyeball » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:44 pm

patch turned off his thrusters and slowly sank. his feet only descended a few inches into the silt there must be some bedrock on something beneath or the usual activity from the station had caused currents wich washed away the excess if it got to deep. it kinda made sense it would be havoc to work on the outside of the sation if all this silt got stired up every time you went out side.

" object still continuing same course and heading, speed unchanged. visual confirmation with this lighting..... 8 seconds....object still of unknown origin and composition, unlikly to change that assasment with passive scanning, command sub may have a better picture...4 seconds"

patch looked up again at the approximate location that the object would appear,a few seconds and he would see it.... unless this thing was painted black then, without using some high powered illumination the marines would see nothing, except a pitch black shape highlighted by a pitch black background. on the flip side however it would be just as hard for the object to see them, even infa red doesn't work when everything is the same temperature as the sea surrounding it.

Dirk Pitt
First Lieutenant

Post by Dirk Pitt » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:27 pm

maxvale76 wrote:Glancing over at the rest of her squad, she tried to ensure that she was in a position to cover and support any moves that SGT Pitt, Morse, or Stormhurst might make. Switching to third squad's freq, she asked; "Any particular way you want us to deploy Sarge?", she asked Dirk.
<Tag Dirk and Third Squad>
As Dirk cut his thrusters and sank his mind was raceing. In undersea battles you didn't have to be that good, you just had to get close.

"Spread out third. I don't want whoever this is to see a large group of os looking like a bug bullseye. Get ready to fire on command's order." Dirk said, already wishing he had a cigaret.
<Tag Third>

"We're going to make it harder to hit more than one of us at a time. I'm haveing third spread out." Dirk answered
<Tag Sam>

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:20 pm

Morse was very concerned about whatever it was they were supposed to be looking at. He had always hated the ocean, especially when he heard somewhere that some of the big creatures that used to exist might still be alive. As unlikely as it was he masked his concern with his cynicism.

"Shit aint this fun. Movin right, 3's." Morse said declaring his action for the squad to know. He had been a bit behind the others as a rear guard, now it was moving forward. He had his weapon ready, but he wasn't likely going to use it. He didn't like wasting ammunition where it wasn't necessary. If everyone in the platoon fired, it probably wouldn't matter, hell maybe 2 or 3 of them would do it. But he was ready in a firing position in case he had to.

< Tag Third

Quinn
First Lieutenant

Post by Quinn » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:42 am

Altair wrote:The suit was released and Altair started to descend towards the bottom of the ocean. Engaging thrusters the marine slowed down just slightly touching the bottom of the ocean. The controls were easy to understand, being left handed gave a small bonus when trying to control the suit the other bonus was the fact that he had some training with HARD suits - not that they were identical but both of them were quite bulky and after a few minutes of practice and adjustments Altair almost forgot that he was in a suite.

The surrounding darkness was a bit scary but he was not a lone and it was the only thing that stopped panic bubbling up inside. On the other hand the uneasy feeling that something would come out of that darkness and attack them never went away. Trying not to look at it Altair remembered a verse he had read in some book, the name of the book never imprinted in his mind but he always remembered the saying when he was out in space.

“When you look into the abyss the abyss looks back at you…”

He knew that author probably meant something else when he wrote it down but right now surrounded by all that darkness no other meaning came to mind. Trying not to look at “the abyss,” Altair kept his eyes straight, quietly listening to comm chatter, while following his squad leader.
Altair shook his head clearing his thoughts, it was time to concentrate otherwise this would be his last mission. Quickly checking his rifle, bearings and oxygen levels Altair scanned for any possible threats.
Altair moved himself over to the black stone which they almost passed. It would be nice to have some protection on this otherwise barren ocean floor. Altair crouched beside the stone, switched to single fire mode and aimed his rifle at the object that was now approaching them, waiting for further orders from his squad leader.

<Tag Kurosaki or Quinn>
Quinn deployed his fireteam in a wide pattern to disperse them enough so that they weren't bunched up, but could still provide covering fire for each other.

He sunk into the silt a few meters away from Altair and kept the lights off from his weapon. He readied his grenade launcher.

"No one fire unless given the order to." Quinn growled over the squad's commnet. "Sergeant, First Squad is in position, over."

<tag first squad and simovic>

pants
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Post by pants » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:07 pm

Obi wrote:" Two section, i want a line abreast formation on the platoons' right flank, move now! Check your targets, if its unfriendly waste it, though remember, until we get inside the station we only have the 95 rds each, so make'em count."

<tag Two Section>
(OOC - Two Section is moving to the right flank)
"Copy that. Moving into position now," replies Gordon cutting his suit thrusters when he was in position and sinking into the silt.

Hitting the selector mode he switches the grenade launcher on changing the targeting reticule to a computer generated line arcing towards the ground indicating the most probable flight path and landing point of any fired grenades. Gordon wasn't confident about the flight dynamics of the grenades in their current high pressure enviroment but he figured the Sarge knew what he was talking about.

Feeling his heart beating wildly in his chest Gordon waited for the contact to resolve itself out of the stygian gloom.

<Tag Platoon>

Obi
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Obi » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:21 am

Being on the end of the formation, Obi turned to his left and mentally counted off quickly down the line. Nodding approval to himself in his suit at how quickly the section moved into their new position to counter the possible threat.

Keying his comm Obi reported in. "All callsigns, this is 2 Section, in position, over."

<tag all callsigns>

Return to “USCM 2.0 - Hell On Earth Campaign”