Boot Camp - The Crucible (Marcus, Rascal, Duncan)

The tenth campaign
Quinn
First Lieutenant

Boot Camp - The Crucible (Marcus, Rascal, Duncan)

Post by Quinn » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:19 pm

Parris Island, the training grounds that had been turning out combat effective Marines for several hundred years. Set in a swamp, it was hot, muggy and near unbearable just to be in. Which is what made it the perfect basic training camp for the United States Colonial Marine Corps.

The current class was almost at the end of it's course, and entering the most brutal part of Boot Camp. The legendary Crucible was what made every Marine. Three days of combat patrol, little sleep and small amounts of food with muscle-tearing exercises. No talking was allowed either unless under fire, and all communications had to be done via tactical hand sign.

The class had been separated into platoons comprising two squads of four men each. One squad was slightly understrength, but looked promising enough that they were deliberately left shorthanded. Currently, they walked in the warm rain along a sand and rock road, taking up tail-end charlie in the formation.

Marcus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Re: Boot Camp - The Crucible (Marcus, Rascal, Duncan)

Post by Marcus » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:00 pm

Marcus had was walking on the left rear corner of the triangle the platoon made with their march. It was day one and he was already feeling like this would be a wash. Whatever he was a comms spec, not a damn ground pounder. Even if he was good at shooting crap he wasn't as good at all the other BS.

Still they're might be something worth pulling out a hack tool for. Maybe a security gate 'shorts out' or a access lift 'locks down'. He was nervous as all crap. But what the hell, he'd be getting paid for it, maybe.

He keep his eyes peeled though, for any signs of movement or the like. Anything that screamed 'TRAP'. He saw nothing so he kept his hands on his gun. The Gear was all basic standard issue. The pulse rifle, the pistol, the flares, and the grenades.

His teammates, he'd met in training, but they'd never actually spoken. Probably wouldn't have had anything to say to him anyway, after he roasted that S.O.B..

Rascal
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Rascal » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:13 pm

Rascal's hands fumbled about his pockets for a stick of gum. What better to pass the time than a stick of gum? He didnt see what made Boot so notoriously difficult; all they did was march and bark. He grinned in triumph when he located a solitary piece of gum at the bottom of his BDUs, quickly slipping in the stick with an exaggerated sigh of content. One of the other guys in his unit whirled around, shushing him, obviously not wanting to have the DI come breathing down their necks. Rascal grinned sheepishly, blowing and popping a bubble obnoxiously as the man turned back to the front. Who cares if the DI shouts and whines and claims they weren't Marine material? They were the best in the unit, no doubts bout it. All he could think of was getting some action before his term was up.

Rascal
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Rascal » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:26 pm

Rascal lagged back a moment, slowing his pace from the steady march they had been ordered to maintain to a lazy crawl.

He eyed the other guys in his unit for a moment, sizing them up; were they really the best though? Simulators were one thing, but the real deal was something else. He sighed; maybe he was just being too cautious. He'd hate to be the guy in charge, that's for sure, what with who knows how many washouts to come and all.

Feeling he had fallen behind enough, Rascal picked up his pace, tunelessly whistling as he approached the others.

Duncan
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Post by Duncan » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Duncan glanced at Rascal as he finally caught up to with the squad. The squad was supposed to be in triangle formation, what the CO had called a "fish tail" for the platoon. Rascal seemed to alternate between point man and rearguard.

"Really, Campbell?" Duncan said to his lax squadmate as he retook his position with a whistle. Duncan had learned quickly that attempting to outgun Rascal verbally was futile. Not calling him by his nickname was the closest Duncan could come to busting his balls without being the butt of a painfully funny retort. Regardless, Rascal always made drills interesting.

Wanewright was more of a question mark. He hadn't really had time to break the ice him, in no small part due Wanewright's absence immediately after the "incident." Upon his return, Wanewright kept to himself.

Duncan continued to scan the right and rear with his eyes. He didn't like the situation. Being put in the squad was a good thing, but it implied greater expectations. He needed to pass the test, otherwise he could get sent to Leavenworth to serve his full sentence. Just keep your eyes peeled.

Duncan continued his sweep of his section as the squad moved forward, pulse rifle ready.

<Roll Scouting, Awareness>

Rascal
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Rascal » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:32 am

Rascal grinned wider as Duncan spoke up; " Well, well. He speaks! Pray tell, Mister Duncan, are you one of them strong, silent types? If so, my buddy here," Rascal flipped off the other soldier's back," would like to say hello."

He didn't really mean to bust the man's chops. He just hated it when people took this whole military thing so seriously. I mean, really. What are the odds that we're actually gonna be sent on a mission? he thought, grinding the gum between his back molars. He spoke up, louder this time, addressing Duncan again, "Look man, just cuz we're on patrol, doesn't mean we have to be all uptight. It's the freakin first day man. Gimme a break."

<Tag Duncan>

He waited for a reply, and was not surprised that he did not receive one. Well, looks like i pegged this one right. Disappointed that his audience was no longer paying him any mind, he turned to the other guy in the unit, whistling sharply to catch his attention. "Yo! You and Lone Ranger here both quiet guys? Cuz if you are then, i might as well shoot myself now cuz there aint no way i'm gonna put up with this."

<Tag Marcus>

Marcus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Marcus » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:21 am

Marcus was getting a bit annoyed with 'Rascal' throughout his rambling. Orders were orders, and keeping quiet was a rule that was going to be enforced. Somebody would be watching and making notes, and writing this squad up for an extra-special bullshit because of this goddamn blowhard.

He spun to face the man and with his hands formed a few quick combat hand signs.

<Cut the Chatter> <or> <I'll drop you> <Here> <You> <Ascalian's bitch>

The vets had made up that last one, because sometimes you couldn't speak when you needed to tell a jackass he bottomed for a girly boy sex bot.

Still he kept his eyes open, this would be a sore place for an ambush. He eased his thumb toward the safety clicked it off.

<Roll, Scouting, Awarness>

Duncan
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Post by Duncan » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:49 pm

"Do me a friggin' favor and pretend you didn't enlist by accident," Duncan said in a quick, hushed tone without turning to face him. As it was, Duncan felt he had probably talked too much. The last thing he needed was Rascal starting up his comedy routine.

Duncan quickly looked down to check his rifle, to make sure it was still sufficiently dry in the rain. Satisfied, he returned his attention to the surroundings. The rain would make detecting movement hard, but he just focused on his last orders. Guard the rear and right. Make sure we don't don't get flanked. Damn right.

Rascal
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Rascal » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:11 pm

Movement from the head of the column caught Rascal's eye. Well, look what your mouth has gotten you into. The drill sergeant pounded his way down the line towards his squad, eyes fuming with discontent.

Rascal quickly took up point in an attempt to intercept the DI, straightening his posture in an effort to look somewhat professional. "Campbell!" Rascal winced at the sound of his last name. "Yessir?" "Who the hell gave you the permission to talk?" "Well, sir, i have a note-" "Can it, maggot! Now when i gave the order for radio silence, i mean SILENCE. If you open that jaw one more time, you'll be finding yourself ball-gagged and walking point with a flashlight!" "Sir, your leisurely activities are probably not meant for my ears."

The other guys in the squad just shook their heads in disbelief. "Well, you must be all kinds of crazy, Campbell. You definitely fit in with this pair of miscreants. You know what? I think i may have a present for the lot of you," the DI grinned, malice brimming from behind his eyes.

<Tag Quinn>

Quinn
First Lieutenant

Post by Quinn » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:37 pm

(Normally I don't allow player control of the DI, but that was well done.)

The man in the campaign hat pointed at a hill about a half mile in the distance.

"This is the Jedh Colby Barker course. During a reconnaissance operation near Con Thien in the Vietnam conflict, Corporal Barker's squad was suddenly hit by enemy sniper fire. The squad immediately deployed to a combat formation and advanced to a strongly fortified enemy position, when it was again struck by small arms and automatic weapons fire, sustaining numerous casualties. Although wounded by the initial burst of fire, Corporal Barker boldly remained in the open, delivering a devastating volume of accurate fire on the numerically superior force. The enemy was intent upon annihilating the small Marine force and, realizing that Corporal Barker was a threat to their position, directed the preponderance of their fire on his position. He was again wounded, this time in the right hand, which prevented him from operating his vitally needed machine gun. Suddenly, and without warning, an enemy grenade landed in the midst of the few surviving Marines. Unhesitatingly and with complete disregard for his own personal safety, Corporal Barker threw himself upon the deadly grenade, absorbing with his own body the full and tremendous force of the explosion. In a final act of bravery, he crawled to the side of a wounded comrade and administered first aid before succumbing to his grievous wounds. His bold initiative, fighting spirit, and unwavering devotion to duty in the face of almost certain death undoubtedly saved his squad mates from further injury or possible death and reflected great credit upon himself, the Marine Corps, and the United States Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country. There is a flag on top of that hill, and I want it laying here at my feet. All of you must make it to the top, and all of you must be here to give it to me. You will have thirty minutes to complete your objective. Get to it." the man barked at them.

Marcus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Marcus » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:26 am

Marcus would have told-you-so'ed when the Sergeant showed up but there were more pressing matters. That hill looked like to would be 10 minutes away if it were a straight run across an open field. This was neither. Both ways through all this crap would be a tight squeeze on time.

The course name got him thinking too. Vietnam. Guerilla warfare. Booby-Traps. Claymores. Rat-tunnels. Ambushes.

This was going to turn into a Charlie Foxtrot if they didn't hustle and quick.

"30 minutes. Affirmative. Rascal: ON. POINT. Eyes forward and watch the ground in front of you. Dung: Right flank, Eyes on 2-5. Hustle!" Marcus was taking charge, because if noone else was going to, why the frag not?

(Tag; Duncan and Rascal)

Duncan
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Post by Duncan » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:17 pm

Duncan listened to the D.I. give the historical basis for the challenge. Snipers. Ambush. Fortified position. Duncan then heard Marcus issue a formation, referring to him as "Dung." Duncan didn't like it, but decided replying would be unwise in front of the D.I.

Marcus didn't seem the leader type; then again, really no one in their squad seemed to be. Duncan was at least glad to be on the right. Being left-handed, when he held his rifle in both hands, it naturally went to the right. He didn't have to whip the rifle around if something popped up in his area.

As the squad advanced towards their objective, he made an effort to not think of the urban myths he had heard about convict recruits. The Marines use Rippers as living targets in skirmish drills. There had been five, including himself, in the barrack at the start. Gomez and Roberts were sent back to prison the first week for constantly fighting each other. Goh kept bragging how he was planning to use his training to become an enforcer for his gang. The heavy-J found out and Goh was sent back before Phase II. Jefferson had trouble at first, but he pulled it together and was a decent if unremarkable recruit. He and Duncan were the only ones left.

Duncan kept his eyes open and his profile low.

<Roll Scouting, Awareness, Infiltration>

Rascal
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Rascal » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:25 am

Rascal sighed. Point, huh? Oh well, he could dig it. He mentally went over everything the DI said, and cursed under his breath. He knew it wasnt gonna be a cake walk but couldnt he have saved the history lesson? I just dont get officers. He quickly picked up pace towrds the course, not bothering to check if the others were following. Time was running out and he wanted to get this done.

Quinn
First Lieutenant

Post by Quinn » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:24 am

The trio moved through the foliage, Duncan having an easier time of it than most thanks to his expertise in moving through dense brush. His eyes scanned the terrain and noticed the not so subtle bunkers in the terrain forward of their position.

Marcus moved forward, but failed to notice the trap he walked into. Several pop-ups sprung to, the weapons in their "hands" opening fire with very realistic sounding reports. One of the rounds took him in the left shoulder, bouncing neatly off his armor.

Rascal took the worst of it, having been on point. He was hit with two bursts of weapons fire from a pair of bunkers, sounding like squad automatic weapons to their trained ears.

Marcus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Marcus » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:46 am

The sound of brush moving and the pop up's leaping up brought a swear through Marcus's mind, but he stayed focused. His rifle rose to the firing position as he snapped onto the first target.

"CONTACT! WEAPONS FREE!" He was pulling the trigger the moment the rifle was set in his grip. He fired short, controlled bursts. Starting with the nearest pop-up and switching targets shortly after each burst.

<Roll: Gun Combat (Professional)>

He crouched low to make himself harder to hit, but felt the pang of a shot of his shoulder. He swore as the sound of SAW fire reported in his ear. This was going to be worse than he thought.

Return to “USCM 2.1 - Juggernaut Campaign”