Turn 5 - Archeology

The 11th campaign
Quinn
First Lieutenant

Re: Turn 5 - Archeology

Post by Quinn » Sun May 01, 2011 8:30 am

Chappel's collision into the Lieutenant broke Sixtus's concentration, who sighed, stepped forward and righted his squad leader.

'Another sergeant I need to break in.' he thought to himself wryly.

"Ease up there Sarge, don't want to piss off the Lieutenant now do we?" he talked to him in his calm voice. Then aforementioned officer laid out the plan to the unit, and Sixtus nodded.

<tag Chappel>

"I'm fine with guard duty." he agreed. He didn't want to enter the scary looking tomb if he could avoid it. Staying out here wasn't a problem, but it was far better than going into something that one had no idea of what could happen. He turned to his squad.

"Keep your weapons on semi-automatic. The lack of gravity here means that Newton's First Law is very much in effect, and I don't want to patch you guys up because you couldn't compensate." he looked at Sam. "Might be a little difficult for you. I think you'd just have to brace as best you can and use short, controlled bursts."

<tag squad>

Quinn's hand moved up to his face to scratch at his beard in thought, but bounced off his faceplate. He scowled at the motion as much as the lack of being able to do so.

Obi
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Obi » Mon May 02, 2011 2:01 am

"Keep your weapons on semi-automatic. The lack of gravity here means that Newton's First Law is very much in effect, and I don't want to patch you guys up because you couldn't compensate."
Obi found himself nodding in agreement with the Medics' assessment of the situation. Giving his EVA suits' HUD a quick glance over to ensure that all system's were functioning normally, Obi keyed his comm as he moved back up the rise, his Pulse Rifle leading the way.

'I'll take point. Which way do you want me to head when I get to the top?"

<tag Chappell & Quinn>
CPL Mike "Obi" O'Brien
Communications Operator

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Mon May 02, 2011 5:31 am

Morse was not fond of the idea that they were going to stay around. he didn't quite see any reason why they should. If this site was such an unknown then they should just monitor it while someone more scientifically qualified looked around. He didn't know what this thing was, and there was a large chance that no one else did either. He could hear the things being said by the other squads, and he wasn't finding it that valid. They'd done a whole lot of operations, ones that were actually dangerous. The big difference here was that no one was shooting at them, and there was a battle cruiser ready to hammer anything that gave biting at them a shot.

As he heard the other squads start giving orders to their people, Morse wondered again which squad he was in. After a moment he remembered that he was in charge of one. "Awe fuck." He said. But even as he was in charge of the squad, while they were all standing there, there wasn't much of a difference. They all were hearing the same orders, and it was somewhat irrelevant telling them things they just heard. "Just don't shoot nothin' that's us assholes." Morse said looking at those in his squad. There wasn't really anything else to do right now, and really he wouldn't care. As far as he was considered this was still the easiest thing they'd done, and it would be hard to keep up their long track record of failure with it.

< Tag 2nd squad

kbeir
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by kbeir » Mon May 02, 2011 11:15 pm

Morse wrote:"Just don't shoot nothin' that's us assholes."
The terse instructions from Corporal Morse echoed around in Joe's helmet. Joe knew this would most likely illicit another terse response but someone had to ask it, "Corporal, where do you want us then?"

<tag Morse>

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Tue May 03, 2011 3:41 am

Morse heard a question in the com, and he didn't know who was responding. He recognized that it came right after he'd told the squad under his command what to do. He hadn't expected questions. At no point in Morse's time in the corps had he though that he'd be in charge of a squad. He liked it better when he was just taking orders and going where he was told. Here he didn't have any real idea what to do.

"Shit, I don't know." Morse responded. "Which one a ya'll wants to go in front?" Morse said. He thought that if he was going to have to be a ruling body, then he would do it in the rare forms of command. Such things weren't common, but from what he remembered they were acts of absolute incompetent or brilliance. He didn't know which one of these it was, but this wasn't terrible. In either case, he was still one of the longest serving people in that platoon, and really who went first didn't matter.

< Tag 2nd squad

rednus
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Post by rednus » Tue May 03, 2011 5:09 pm

"First squad " Rednus said, "move uphill, tactical formation, with a twenty-foot spread." We'll settle for an overview of the site first, and proceed upon arrival of sufficient intel regarding terrain, and perimeter size"

With this, Chappell began to remove his motion tracker from its housing in order to configure it. The EV Gloves making the operation slightly more time consuming.

<Tag squad, GM>

Dirk Pitt
First Lieutenant

Post by Dirk Pitt » Tue May 03, 2011 6:15 pm

Duncan wrote:Duncan nodded at Sgt. Pitt's command and readied his pulse rifle. The idea of gunfighting in a low-G environment where even a pinhole tear in his suit could be fatal didn't much appeal to him. Just keep your head on a swivel and don't make any rookie mistakes. I'd be sweating bullets if I weren't in the inky blackness of space.

A sigh of relief escaped Duncan when he heard that they were just setting up a perimeter. He was a little confused as to what to do next. He leaned over towards Pitt, even though the fact they were speaking through radio comms made the gesture pointless.

"Sir, where should third squad set up?"
Looking around Dirk wanted to put some distance between his squad and the hatch. Enough to give them a chance to react.

"We'll pull back about twenty yards to the right of he hatch. It should give us enough room to think on the fly." Dirk said as he started moving away from the door.
<Tag Duncan>

Duncan
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Post by Duncan » Wed May 04, 2011 12:22 am

Duncan started to move out as the sergeant had instructed. He wondered how long they would be out there. He was concerned about their oxygen reserves. Exploring this chamber might take a while, and the exact nature of the site hadn't been disclosed until they came over the hill. In a hazardous environment like this, teams had to move deliberately, according to a plan. Limited breathing time and the hazardous environment did not lend itself to improvisation.

Duncan took his position as ordered, kept his eyes open and his pulse rifle ready.

Obi
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Obi » Wed May 04, 2011 12:38 am

"First squad " Rednus said, "move uphill, tactical formation, with a twenty-foot spread." We'll settle for an overview of the site first, and proceed upon arrival of sufficient intel regarding terrain, and perimeter size"
"Roger Red, understand all." Obi responded to his squad leaders orders as be bounded ahead of the squad. Reaching the top of the rise, he looked back down as he watched the rest of the squad follow his path up the rise.

"Careful there, watch your footing, there is a lot of loose rock underfoot." Obi spoke in warning. Turning, Obi gave the immediate area a quick scan. The cold hard surface of the asteroid greeted him.

"Rednus, I am going to head out on a bearing of 270 for about 50 metres, I say we then perfom a 360 degree clearing patrol around the area."
Ob said into his comm as he moved off on the bearing indicated.
<tag Red>
CPL Mike "Obi" O'Brien
Communications Operator

rednus
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Post by rednus » Wed May 04, 2011 2:16 am

Obi wrote:"Rednus, I am going to head out on a bearing of 270 for about 50 metres, I say we then perform a 360 degree clearing patrol around the area."
"Agreed" Red responded, a rhythmic 'blip' emanating from his motion-tracker, registering the other squads below. His gloved fingers jabbing at the settings extended the range to pick up anything within one thousand metres, its maximum range. "Make it happen, Marine. First squad, three-sixty site perimeter sweep, be ready to keep it clean, people"

<Tag First Squad, GM>
.Cpl Rednus Chappell
U.S.C.M Rifleman
Eightballs, First squad.

kbeir
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by kbeir » Wed May 04, 2011 3:07 am

From the way the other squads were dispersing Joe figured that Second Squad would be in the middle. He began carefully and slowly making his way to a position that was even with the other squads but spaced towards the center. Hopefully Corporal Morse would want them there, and since Joe wasn't experienced with the suit, he figured it was time to start moving to be in position in a timely manner. If they had to move he was sure Corporal Morse would tell him.

Return to “USCM 2.1 - Kaus campaign”