Turn 4: Turning Marines into Rats

The fourth mission
Morse
Captain

Re: Turn 4: Turning Marines into Rats

Post by Morse » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:56 am

The new marine, who was thin and tall, swore at Morse and handed off profane gestures. Such a thing was not generally well regarded amongst fresh marines when it came to dealing with a superior officer. In this case however it was irrelevant. Morse was crudely spoken himself and did not have any real issue with it. What stood out to him more was that he cut into his own finger.

Morse was far from masochistic and found it rather off putting. ”Fuck new blood.” Morse swore when he nicked his hand. ”Leave it fer the deployment to bleed ya, aint no need to do it yerself none.” He pointed out.

He had not known synthetics to have red blood, but knew that a later model could. Still the sheer weirdness of how to handle such a question seemed to fit the visual of the odd looking marine. Therefore Morse wrote off that he was without doubt human. He just noted that he was a weird one for sure.

Morse went about grabbing a crate himself, hoisting it up with his legs and moving away. He caught the odd marines rhetorical rambling before he got to the ramp however. ”And it all gets to mixin’ fer what we call food.” Morse joked regarding the terrible synthetic food that marines notoriously ate.

< Tag Boothe
Image-SSG Allen Morse - Squad Leader
-3rd Bn, 2nd Reg, 1st Co, 8th Plt
- DEVIL DAWG
- M41A Pulse Rifle - M4 Pistol - Med Kit
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image

taimdala
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by taimdala » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:05 am

((OOC: Gentlemen, I am away from my keyboard until 2300 Eastern (US) tonight at my regular game. Dirk I will answer your tags when I get back.))
ImageCpl. Dmitri Mikhailovich Barayev
Current Gear
Light Armor
M41A Rifle + 2 clips
VP70 Pistol + 2 clips
Knife
8 grenades
Entrenching Tool
Image Image

"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."

MarcusOTerra
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by MarcusOTerra » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:53 am

The marine 'Morse' seemed to take Boothe's show as proof enough. But something about how he said the deployment would bleed him didn't sit well with him. He knew they were reinforcements, and if Marines needed to be reinforced, that was bad. And if they were sending Boothe to shore up their medical needs? The hell was going on down here?

As Morse picked up his own box, he commented on the food situation.

"I was wondering why they said our last dinner at boot would be the best we'd have in months." True enough, the mili-grade food wasn't much different from what they served most people on the station.

He set down the box and gave Morse a quick salute. "Salazar Booth, Private, Medical technician."
He specialties did include the use of medical electronics, and the implementing of medical techniques.

He waited to see if his superior had any words for him,
<Tag Morse>
Salazar 'Salamander' Boothe: 'Private', 'Medic', 'Marine'.
Load out: As Turn Two of Watch Dog
Pulse Rifle: Clip loaded +4 on person.
1 Field Surgery Kit
3 First aid Kits
4 smoke grenades
Breather Mask.

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:16 am

Setting the crate down, Morse looked back into the Snakefighter to see that there were many more where that one came from. They had a while more to continue off loading. But there were many of them there so the work would not take a terribly long amount of time.

He was followed by the new tall marine who said something about the food at boot camp. The only part Morse picked up was that the word months. ”Not that you gave mucha shit. Prolly spent most a em months sittin’ in that tube there.” Morse pointed towards the Snakefighter. He wasn’t sure if he meant the months prior, but most of a marines life was spent in cryo, making time seem different.

The marine then stopped in front of Morse like he was reporting with new orders. Morse was not exactly the person to be saluting, but it gave him a moment to size up their differences. The marine was tall and seemed like he came out of the factory just yesterday. Spotless uniform, put in the way it was supposed to be.

Morse on the other hand wore his camouflaged pants, and a green T-Shirt under his M2 Flak Vest. Only Smartgunners tended to wear M2’s, and Morse’s had little written words on his like “Fuck off”, “Monkey Masher” at different portions of it. They aloud for a bit more mobilization and the M56 Smartgun Harness only fit on top of that. Morse definitively preferred that, since having a bullet rip through his shoulder guard like it was nothing.

”Uh huh.” Morse said nodding, not feeling the need to salute at the moment. ”You’ll fit right in with Coleslaw.” Morse pointed out, though he did not point out who ‘Coleslaw’ was. ”I’m Corporal Morse, head a the deadshots.” Morse said giving his squads designation. ”I was a med-tech once… not no more though. Got me in charge a the big guns now. Way more fun.” He concluded.

Morse was a initially trained as a field medic with advanced combat tactics. But as time went on they were reinforced with more medics and fewer gunners, so Morse gradually shifted his focus to where he stood now with the platoons heavy weapons department.

”So where you bread from Sally?” Morse asked, immediately trying to determine if they had another miserable colonist in their midst.

< Tag Sal
- DEVIL DAWG
Image Image Image Image

MarcusOTerra
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by MarcusOTerra » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:15 am

"Parker's point." Booth answered, ignoring the familiar 'nickname', "Used to be a green house test site." During the early decades of humanity's second space age, the one that caught on, Mars had never been seen as a 'permanent' settlement site. "Great-grandpa or such was one of the first kids born on Mars, the way my mom would tell it."

It did however make for a great place to test out how durable your kit was. Also plenty of places to hide things that weren't on your approved grow-list.

Probably why his family had the money to pay for his med classes out of pocket. Sal didn't really mind, so much.

"Earned my med training, found a job on Pluto keeping miners together. I swear I didn't know there were so many ways you could be dismembered by just ONE machine." He shook his head.

"I wrote a book on it, a real one. Not some digital download." He pointed at his pack. "Shiny photos and and clear, bland, instructions on how not to lose a limb."

Maybe I should stop talking, Sal's 'voice of reason' spoke up, and Sal's mouth clamped shut. He coughed once and went back to the snake fighter to get the last of whatever boxes were left, and to make sure he didn't leave his kit behind.

<Tag Morse>
1 Field Surgery Kit
3 First aid Kits
4 smoke grenades
Breather Mask.

taimdala
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by taimdala » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:16 am

Dirk Pitt wrote:
taimdala wrote: "It's good to see you again, Sergeant," Oksana said as she stepped off the ramp.
Dirk lead Oksana across the base to his office, holding the door open and allowing her to enter the small building first. The office was a perfab military building that could be used for everything from storage to a barracks. The spartan furnishings, other than the crisply made rack in the rear of the building, were scrounged from anything extra on base that could be re-purposed for what he needed at the moment. Moving in after he crossed the small, dark room and turned on the florescent lights that hung from wires from the roof. Setting his M41A on his desk he turned on the coffee maker. Soon the sound of liquid being poured into a pot was followed by the smell of fresh coffee filling the office.

"Coffee? Like the chow here, it may not be that god but there is a lot of it. Once your taste buds are destroyed you won't mind." He joked, as every Marine had through out the history of the Corps.
<Tag Oksana>
Given how bitter it had become between her and Dmitri, she knew the coffee would in contrast taste sweet. She made not show of it, however, and merely said, "I've lived here long enough that I needn't fear the coffee."
Dirk Pitt wrote: Pouring a cup of coffee for both of them he sat down behind the stacked ammo boxes and a piece of sheet metal on top that served as his desk. Reaching into one of the boxes he pulled out a VP70 and a gun belt with a few extra clips and set it down next to her cup.

"You'll need to put this on. Everyone on base, even civilians, need to be armed at all times. Civilians I trust that is." He said motioning for her to have a seat after she put her belt on.
<Tag Oksana>
She smiled as she accepted the cup and took a sip. Her brows rose in surprise. It wasn't half bad, despite the Marine's warning, and it warmed her all the way down. She put the mug aside and picked up the gun next, felt its weight, knew it was loaded. She wasn't new to guns but she wasn't so naive to believe that a pistol would save her in a face off with a zenomorph past the parasite stage. From what she'd seen at the Huldra village and from debriefing Kalina Jones, Oksana had already decided that the bullets would be better utilized on herself. If she were dead, she couldn't be made a host for more of the damned things. The thoughts zipped through her head in less than a second as she buckled on the gunbelt. She'd already come to grips with the worst-case scenario and had made her choice months ago, when they'd rescued Dmitri only to cripple him.

"Thank you, Dirk." They were alone and she didn't feel addressing him by his first name would hurt discipline. She adjusted the belt until it sat at a natural spot around her hips and stowed the extra clips in their sleeves. "It's good to know I've earned your trust. I do not take it lightly."
Dirk Pitt wrote: For the next few minutes he went over what had happened on base. The new types of Xenomorphs, the larger one in command and it's use of coordinated attacks and tactics. Finishing he allowed the new information to sink in.

"I'll need your help in questioning the WY civilian. Sometimes these WY people think that we grunts are as stupid as the day is long and they think they can lie to us. We are going to have to get in and out of the outpost with the information. What I want from her is the way we can do that without casualties. I'll ask her a few questions. Feel free to ask her anything you want when Sam brings her in."
<Tag Oksana>
Oksana frowned at the new information but said nothing while Dirk filled her in. Enough time had passed since Kalina's rescue that the woman might feel secure enough that she could bullshit her way out of Marine custody. Or she might genuinely be afraid enough of the xenomorphs to do whatever she could to wipe them off the face of the Universe. Or she might be grateful enough over her rescue that betrayal would never enter into it. She might be honest ... or she could be playing them for fools.

You're a fool, Oksana. A thousand times a fool! Her screaming match with Dmitri over her current trip to the base still burned. She'd already rescued him from hell, he'd insisted. There was no need for her to go back. Oksana couldn't make him understand there is no going back if one never left.

She couldn't leave until she'd put things right. She wouldn't sit safe behind the lines and let others clean up the mess she'd had a part in making, however small her part had been. She could not look Dmitri in the eye, lie next to him in the dark, endure his touch, without first knowing she'd one everything she could to acknowledge (and atone for) her sins. Oksana drained her cooling coffee in a single long pull, gathered her bag, and stood.

Sometimes, the only way out of Hell is through.

"Shall we begin?"

<TAG Dirk>

((That's it, gentlemen. It's 00:49 where I am and I need to get up early tomorrow. I will check back in the morning to see if y'all need me to post.))
ImageCpl. Dmitri Mikhailovich Barayev
Current Gear
Light Armor
M41A Rifle + 2 clips
VP70 Pistol + 2 clips
Knife
8 grenades
Entrenching Tool
Image Image

"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Whisky
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Whisky » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:55 pm

Colson had followed Morse over to the Snake Fighter and walked passed the Doctor as she stepped off the ship, he hadn't said more than two words together since they first crossed paths and didn't see the point in starting now.

Walking past a tall marine Colson simply acknowledged him with a nod and simple "Marine." before passing on to get to the equipment shipment. During the unloading he half saw the exchange between Morse and the new guy. When he nicked his thumb and swore at Morse Colson simply rolled his eyes and thought to himself. "Great, another oddball. Just what we needed."

When Morse called the boot Sally, Colson was glad for the mask he wore as it hid his grin. Morse and his nicknames.
Pvt. Thomas Colson
2nd Squad - Medic

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:35 pm

Morse’s face contorted a bit when he heard about the diverse background. He had mixed ideas on what it meant when someone came from the Sol system. While he had a natural proclivity to hate the colonies it was different when considering ones that were so close to home. The trip between Mars and Earth was about an hour depending on the ship you were on. Also the Martian colonies were all very old, where most of the other colonies were far more recent.

It was a bit of a conundrum for him, since he was not entirely sure how to specifically discriminate here. It was beyond dispute that Mars and Pluto were not Earth, but they still amounted to direct neighbors of Earth.

”A Martian Plutonian...” Morse mocked. ”Shit, you look Martian’fer sure.” Morse was specifically referring to the alien look of the man. Morse was not beyond putting someone down for anything, whether it was beyond their control or not.

Stories of xenomorphs had never ended. The concept of aliens were always believed. No matter how many planetary surveys were done, no matter how many scientists said it was impossible, there were always those people that opposed it. They swore they saw something in the emptiness. There were stories of someone disappearing always and it was the aliens that were to blame.

But perhaps they had found one of those aliens, and given him an M41A and prepared him to fight other aliens.

”Least he’s from the home system.” Morse muttered. He then started moving back up the ramp. ”Just keep yer rifle set-n’prep’d. Live loaded, you know.” Morse continued. ”N’ keep liftin’ the shit, got lotsa movin’ here n’ then a tour of the nothin’.”

< Tag Sal

He saw Colson come by and he looked over. ”Coleslaw. Got somethin’ fer you to do.” Morse walked up to Colson and lowered his tone. ”Head up’n into the mess hall’n the ship. Get up there, and grab all the sugar rations’n semi-veg fruit you can grab…. Take a few trips if ya gotta…” Morse told him, and he had a reason. ”Cus I don’ know how long were gonna be sittin’ here still, but ems in there got more recent stocks’n it just aint fair fer the flyers to be hoardin’… just go quiet ‘bout it so, Quinn don’ know.” Morse finished and headed up to get more supplies.

< Tag Colson
- DEVIL DAWG
Image Image Image Image

Whisky
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Whisky » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:32 pm

He saw Colson come by and he looked over. ”Coleslaw. Got somethin’ fer you to do.” Morse walked up to Colson and lowered his tone. ”Head up’n into the mess hall’n the ship. Get up there, and grab all the sugar rations’n semi-veg fruit you can grab…. Take a few trips if ya gotta…” Morse told him, and he had a reason. ”Cus I don’ know how long were gonna be sittin’ here still, but ems in there got more recent stocks’n it just aint fair fer the flyers to be hoardin’… just go quiet ‘bout it so, Quinn don’ know.” Morse finished and headed up to get more supplies.
Colson nodded in reply to Morse's instruction and headed into the SnakeFighter proper, once inside he lifted his mask off and made his way to the mess and stores to see what he could scrounge up. He still had a satchel hanging beside his K52. "I'll fill that up and that should do." He thought to himself.
Pvt. Thomas Colson
2nd Squad - Medic

MarcusOTerra
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by MarcusOTerra » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:33 pm

Sal nodded at Morse's order to remain armed. It was simple enough. He picked up the pace as Morse ordered the man called 'coleslaw' to get veggies and sweet rations. Sal smiled at the thought. When he returned to the ramp, he looked for any supplies marked Medical.

"Might as well prioritize where I specialize." He picked up some hermetically sealed crates with the red cross of medicine on them and carried them off the snakefighter. The boxes were light, and he quickly set the boxes down and turned on his heel to get some more.
1 Field Surgery Kit
3 First aid Kits
4 smoke grenades
Breather Mask.

maxvale76
Chief Warrant Officer 3

Post by maxvale76 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:40 am

(OOC: I'm happy to write a quick post bringing the Corporate chica to the scene with Dirk and Oksana; but I figured I'd ask Pale if he wanted to handle that scene first)
ImageSGT Samantha "Sam" Hall

M41A Pulse Rifle

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:27 pm

After giving Colson his new orders, which he was sure would be appreciated by everyone, he went back to moving the new items off of the ship. He had not yet seen it, but he placed in a request for some serious personal firepower. It was likely hiding around somewhere near the back, since the weapon would not have much of a practical use inside of the ship itself.

For whatever reason, Morse began to wonder what it would be like to handle a shipborn firefight with such a thing. The though made him smile a bit, since he realized it would probably cause the ship to explode, since the hull breach would be severe, and internal. But he was not stupid enough to do such a thing, and the people in his platoon were always wary of him going a bit too far.

He looked over at the new tall marine who was moving medical supplies. Morse found it ironic that they got a lot of medical supplies and when dealing with the bugs they were next to useless. The K52 while the most advanced in battlefield treatment, did not have some of the things they really needed. But it was still better then having nothing.

”So Mars,” Morse referred to the new Marine. ”what gave ya the stupid to join the Corps.” Morse always asked people that. Though sometimes he forgot, he liked knowing if someone joined for bad reasons or good ones.

< Tag Sal
- DEVIL DAWG
Image Image Image Image

MarcusOTerra
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by MarcusOTerra » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:41 pm

Sal carried a stack of supplies off the snakefighter, and as he returned, Morse had come up with another name for him. Sal liked that one more than Sally. How'd he join up? That was a story.

"Ah, well." Sal smile touched his eyes, "There was this one miner at the station." He held up a hand, "First off, ever miner get's patched up for some crap or another, sooner or later." He grabbed a shorter stack than the last, not of medicine but of grenades. "This guy, we called him Patches, was in at least once a month for some injury or another. Never anything too serious. But if it wasn't for modern medicine the guy would be a walking scab at this point."

"I start to get annoyed as he keeps coming in over, and over. We take the time to fix these guys, and he doesn't even respect his own safety. There was an accident on the station, and Twitch's stupid shit finally bites someone else in the ass and he gets another worker killed." He sets the boxes down.

"Not immediately though. The poor slob went into major surgery." Sal looked to Morse. "Twitch wasn't as bad off, so he fell under my care." At this point he drew out a standard flare. "Supplies being what they were, I decided to improvise when it came to some of my procedures."

He shrugged, "After that, the station manager 'encouraged' me to seek other prospects."
1 Field Surgery Kit
3 First aid Kits
4 smoke grenades
Breather Mask.

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:21 pm

The story confused Morse. It was a bit all over the place, and he tried to follow. Morse typically just got a single sentence answer. “Better opportunities” or “Wanted to fight for good” or “It was this or prison” or “Not smart enough for the Navy” were the more common renditions. This one in particular was a bit rough to follow.

Morse stopped, his face obviously showing his confusion. ”So you sayin’ you dropped here in cus ya got fired fer fuckin’ up meds’r some shit?” Morse answered trying to reason with what he’d heard. It seemed to be what he said had happened, but he could not exactly tell. It was difficult to follow, but he’d get his clarification.

< Tag Sal
- DEVIL DAWG
Image Image Image Image

MarcusOTerra
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by MarcusOTerra » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:30 am

Sal laughed. "No. I got dropped here because I closed the idiot's wounds with searing hot flares." He shook his head and went back to moving boxes. Hopefully they would be done soon. He wasn't getting tired; but he was hoping to see something of the place than the landing pad.

<Tag Morse>
1 Field Surgery Kit
3 First aid Kits
4 smoke grenades
Breather Mask.

Return to “Operation Alpha Strike”