Turn 5: Down the Rabbit Hole

The fourth mission
Quinn
First Lieutenant

Re: Turn 5: Down the Rabbit Hole

Post by Quinn » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:03 am

Quinn had opened the door on the APC with a solid sssssshhhhhTHUNK. Another rain downpour was making the guns smoke, hissing and sizzling as the fat drops came down on the weapons. All in all, it was rather intimidating as it looked something out of an archaic twentieth-century action movie.

When Dirk trotted up, Quinn gratefully accepted the spare pistol magazines. He'd run off and completely forgot about needing more ammunition for his sidearm. Luckily, Dirk was the master of finding .45 ACP rounds, as his own M4A4 sidearm used the same ammunition. He looked a little embarrassed as he'd forgotten a very important rule in the Corps. Always have your own ammunition in supply.

"Thank you Dirk." he said, sliding the mags into their appropriate holders on the other side of his belt. He nodded at the Sergeant's mention of new orders. "That's right, and they're shitty ones on top of it."

He was about to go further into detail when the new guy showed up. It was goddamn Roberts. He'd only been a lowly Private First Class medic during that time. "At least they sent us someone who knows one end of a rifle from the other!" Sixtus said with a shit-eating grin on his face. When asked where he could find a weapon, the Lieutenant nodded somberly at him.

"Right behind you." he smirked at the end as Morse turned up with weapon in hand. He was about to respond to Giosso's request for the ammo cans to be refilled when Morse hopped right on it. Making the man a Corporal had been the right move indeed, the Lieutenant grinned to himself.

"Okay, so here's where we get screwed." he motioned both men into the APC, waving at the main screen. "We're to go to the corporate base here and retrieve information, whatever is left inside their databanks. Either to hopefully indict those who need it," the Lieutenant said with a sarcastic tone. "or more likely to retrieve some poor schmuck's research. Regardless, I'm making a copy to keep in case the data is actually useful. So my idea is thus;"

Quinn turned to Morse and Dirk, sitting in his command chair as he did, removing his hat with a grunt of irritation. "Arm as many people with incinerators and shotguns as possible. Leave the autoguns here on sentry mode to have a secure place to return to. I don't want another LV-426 on the Corps' hands. Have all teams go in, get the information and get out. Apply boot to ass when needed. One problem is that the APC won't be able to provide fire support as a result of the tight confines and layout of the buildings. I'm not going to put mortar shells on danger close. Besides, we might need them for the run out back to here. Any holes in the plan that you can see?"

<tag Dirk and Morse>
Current Gear
M42A Scope Rifle
M4A4 .45 ACP caliber Sidearm, Suppressed
Combat Knife
K52 Medical Kit
Flashlight, Flares (6)
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Corporal Hicks
Major

Post by Corporal Hicks » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:30 am

Quinn wrote:"At least they sent us someone who knows one end of a rifle from the other!" Sixtus said with a shit-eating grin on his face. When asked where he could find a weapon, the Lieutenant nodded somberly at him. "Right behind you." he smirked at the end as Morse turned up with weapon in hand.
Eric smiled and saluted. "Good to see you Quinn. I'm glad we were wrong about the medic curse. We all thought you were toast," he laughed.
eyeball wrote:" i'm certified corp i'll go out and help if needed" Eyeball walked to the heavy section and piled 4 boxes of turret ammo onto a trolley.

" you guys cover my ass in case anything is still out there and i'll have it done real fast."

"Giosso, this is Eyeball, 3 going out to reload....area clear?"

"ready when you are mate!"Eyeball said looking at Roberts as he was the ranking non com here even if he had just stepped off the boat.
Eric nodded at the PFC. "Soon as he gives the all clear. Let's head to the gate at least."

Roberts put his hand on the ammo crates to steady them as the trolley bumped along. Looking over his shoulder he said, "Eyeball, huh? Nice name," and grinned. He appreciated the regard he had been shown by the marines so far. Even though he was a higher rank, his armor was clean and he had just got off the boat. These guys had just been through hell together, even if some were clearly still green.

<Tag Eyeball and Creed>
ImageSgtMaj. Danny Sykes - Platoon NCO
USCM Special Forces Recon Team
Serial Number: D26/TQ6.3.48412E9

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:55 am

For Morse, it was good to know that there was at least a slight mutual understanding on where he and Roberts were. They both knew each other and had no doubt been on a mission or two at the same time, but had likely never said a word to each other. As they all were about to split off to handle separate duties, Roberts mentioned a mission that Morse was familiar with, and knew they had both been deployed there.

”I was one of em that was reinforcin’.” Morse mentioned, noting that he was brought in with the ‘second wave’ or reinforcement squads. That basically meant that if Roberts was with the first group, they’d done all the work. Morse basically stood and guarded a barricade while the rest went further in for that mission. Sure there was combat, but it was not quite so harsh as what was seen deeper in.

Eyeball came behind Morse and mentioned he was rated to operate the sentries. Morse had forgotten that, but he was fine with it. ”If any a ya get caught n’ die out there… let us know.” Morse gave a very minor shrug. They obviously weren’t quite in that much danger, especially not after the attack was so completely battered. And though there was a danger Morse still didn’t mind making a joke about it.

< Tag Eyeball and Roberts

Morse moved into the APC as Quinn ordered with Dirk. Morse was essentially third in the chain of command by way of seniority, but the likeliness of him ever actually taking over was next to zero. Still the thought came through his mind once in a while, and he always wound up hating the idea.

The plan seemed like a decent, if almost routine, way of handling that sort of situation. But there was a certain lack of knowledge that bothered Morse, as it always did. Of course they were not likely to know any of that information, and would have to play it like it was.

”Only hole I’m seein’ is in the weaponizin’.” Morse referred to Quinn’s call for Shotguns and Flamethrowers. ”If were commin’ cross corporates, and the PMC’s they dig usin’ so much, we’d be lackin’ in range in a bad way.” Morse pointed out. ”Plus most a them aint got ratin’ to use em, least not that I’d trust.” Morse stated his opinion, since half of the men in the platoon were currently on their first operation.

”Aint sayin’ don’ have em, shit yer prolly bringin’ a “Firehose” yerself.” Morse gave a nickname for a flamethrower. ”But I’m thinkin’ regular ordinance’ll keep us on a good balance, since we don’ know if that outpost’s still semi operable… or a fuckin’ bug nest six miles square.”

< Tag Quinn

Morse thought everything else was fine. Using full manpower was a good move, keeping the turrets armed at base was just as good. And it seemed like they’d keep the APC close by in case they needed to run away fast, so it all checked out. The trick would just be playing whatever happened when they got there.
Image-SSG Allen Morse - Squad Leader
-3rd Bn, 2nd Reg, 1st Co, 8th Plt
- DEVIL DAWG
- M41A Pulse Rifle - M4 Pistol - Med Kit
Image Image Image Image

Quicksilver
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Quicksilver » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:42 pm

“Your clear to go.” Mark replied over the radio, responding automatically, before he realized exactly what the private was saying. “Wait, wait.” He amended quickly. “We don’t have any outside, it was too vulnerable. All the 571s are up on the wall. Also, don’t forget to hit up the 565s.”

While Giosso had no doubt Eyeball would get all the robot sentries on the wall, the 565s were easy to miss. Built into a special prefabricated USCM wall segment that looked not unlike the arrow slits on old style castles, the backs of the weapons were also enclosed, requiring the reloader to open a steel hatch to access the weapon. That same drab steel door make them remarkably easy to miss once you’d lived with them for weeks on end.

<Tag Eyeball>
Pvt. Mark Giosso
3rd Bn, 2nd Reg, 1st Co, 8th Plt
Security Systems Master
Communications / Computer and Motion Tracker Operation Expert
Surveillance Equipment Operation Professional

Dirk Pitt
First Lieutenant

Post by Dirk Pitt » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:04 am

Quinn wrote:
"Thank you Dirk." he said, sliding the mags into their appropriate holders on the other side of his belt. He nodded at the Sergeant's mention of new orders. "That's right, and they're shitty ones on top of it."
"No problem Sir. We're the only two left in the Corps that dosn't think that the .45 has seen it's day and should be put out of service. Hell, it still makes a damn good hole when it goes through a target." Dirk said with a half smile.
<Tag Quinn>

Quinn wrote: "Okay, so here's where we get screwed." he motioned both men into the APC, waving at the main screen. "We're to go to the corporate base here and retrieve information, whatever is left inside their databanks. Either to hopefully indict those who need it," the Lieutenant said with a sarcastic tone. "or more likely to retrieve some poor schmuck's research. Regardless, I'm making a copy to keep in case the data is actually useful. So my idea is thus;"

Quinn turned to Morse and Dirk, sitting in his command chair as he did, removing his hat with a grunt of irritation. "Arm as many people with incinerators and shotguns as possible. Leave the autoguns here on sentry mode to have a secure place to return to. I don't want another LV-426 on the Corps' hands. Have all teams go in, get the information and get out. Apply boot to ass when needed. One problem is that the APC won't be able to provide fire support as a result of the tight confines and layout of the buildings. I'm not going to put mortar shells on danger close. Besides, we might need them for the run out back to here. Any holes in the plan that you can see?"

<tag Dirk and Morse>
Dirk sighed as he took off his helmet. The mention of LV-426 was a sore subject. He had known a few of the Marines that were on the op. Good Marines to the last one. But they didn't know what they were getting into. Those damn things overwhelmed them before they had a chance to fight back. Not that that was news to anyone. They had all seen the footage, they had all seen what had happened and the aftermath of the terraforming plant going nuclear.

"Shotguns and incinerators are a good move, but I have to agree with Morse. You mentioned LV-426. Well the tactics are the same. If we go in without our Pulse rifles and smartguns I think we'll be missing them real quick. It's your call Sir, and we'll back your play no matter what. But I recommend that we dump all gear that we won't absolutely need and take a shotgun or an incinerator as a second weapon. We'll use them until we have to resort back to our main weapon."
<Tag Quinn>
Cpl Dirk Pitt
First squad leader

Gear
Pulse Rifle w/ 4 grenades, 8 canister shells
M1911 Colt .45 caliber Sidearm
Smoke Grenade x2
KBAR Combat Knife
Portable Welder
Ithaca Shotgun

Non Combat Equipment
Zippo lighter
Cigarettes

jdd2035
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jdd2035 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:52 am

Hearing a call over the com from Giosso to reload the guns, Morse knew exactly who to call. ”Yo Creede.” Morse called into his headset. ”You like doin’ the dangerous shit. Why don’t you and…” Morse looked at the new marines name. ”Roberts go re arm the guns.” Morse referred to the autoturrets that were dry in and around the wall.

Roberts put his hand on the ammo crates to steady them as the trolley bumped along. Looking over his shoulder he said, "Eyeball, huh? Nice name," and grinned. He appreciated the regard he had been shown by the marines so far. Even though he was a higher rank, his armor was clean and he had just got off the boat. These guys had just been through hell together, even if some were clearly still green.
Alex nodded “I’ll get on it.” And slung his spas-18 round his shoulder and before he got too far he asked “He do you have any spare over under grenade launchers? I’d like to mount one to the hard points on Ol’ Painless especially since we don’t have any Frag-12s here.” Alex patted his shotgun and went to work reloading the turrets.
-Pvt. Alex Creede - Scout
-Spas-17 Shotgun

eyeball
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by eyeball » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:12 am

“Wait, wait.” He amended quickly. “We don’t have any outside, it was too vulnerable. All the 571s are up on the wall. Also, don’t forget to hit up the 565s.”
"sweet this should be easy then." Eyeball grabbed the trolley he had already loaded with ammo and headed up to the wall.

Eyeball easily found all the 571 auto turrets, well there kinda hard to miss, that and the huge pile of spent casings lying around. theses were the "c" variant so just standard ammo, Eyeball idly wondered if there were any "f" variety around, auto grenade turrets would be very nice.

< ok you got me on 565 turrets no idea what they are>
ImageLCpl. Robert Paulson
incinerator, 2 spare fuel bottles, motion detector, first aid kit, pistol, knife, 2 frag.
special weapons tech
Image Image

Corporal Hicks
Major

Post by Corporal Hicks » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:32 am

Creede wrote:Alex nodded “I’ll get on it.” And slung his spas-18 round his shoulder and before he got too far he asked “He do you have any spare over under grenade launchers? I’d like to mount one to the hard points on Ol’ Painless especially since we don’t have any Frag-12s here.” Alex patted his shotgun and went to work reloading the turrets.
Eric looked at the other soldier who had joined them. "Well I just got here, I don't know what we have yet. You'll wanna ask your squad leader," Roberts said. Then he realized that this might be one of his men. "Well, actually, wait. Are you a scout?"

<Tag Creede>

Roberts helped load the guns. He had spent a day in training operating sentry guns, but it was a long time ago. As he loaded them, muscle memory started to take over. While on the wall he glanced out at the battlefield and saw the smoking corpses littering the field. He recognized them as former huldra; he had been briefed on some things before the mission. That didn't stop the uneasy feeling in his guts. As soon as the guns were loaded he would grab some chow.

MarcusOTerra
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by MarcusOTerra » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:37 am

Sal took a minute to let Morse's words sink in, enough that he was wide eyed when he realized the implication. He did NOT want to be between the rest of the 'meat' and those hungry looking things. That wouldn't do.

But he wanted the toaster... but if they got to close. He'd something with stopping power to back it up...if only he had another pair of arms, this wouldn't be such a quandary.

An idea hit him fast and he made for the armory, along with the rest of the new marines and anyone not gathering around the APC or doing something else.

He looked for the station where pulse rifle ammo was housed, specifically he was looking to change out the underside grenade launcher for a pump action shot-shorty. Giving the rifle the alternative of firing a few shotgun rounds would be a smart bet that wouldn't need him trading out the pulse rifle.

The question wasn't if the Marines had such an attachment for the rifle, the question was: would there be any left for Sal?

<Swapping grenades for shotgun>
Salazar 'Salamander' Boothe: 'Private', 'Medic', 'Marine'.
Load out: As Turn Two of Watch Dog
Pulse Rifle: Clip loaded +4 on person.
1 Field Surgery Kit
3 First aid Kits
4 smoke grenades
Breather Mask.

jdd2035
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jdd2035 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:34 am

Eric looked at the other soldier who had joined them. "Well I just got here, I don't know what we have yet. You'll wanna ask your squad leader," Roberts said. Then he realized that this might be one of his men. "Well, actually, wait. Are you a scout?"
Alex looked up from the turret he was reloading and smiled "One of the best in the galaxy, if not the top ten percent. I am more comfortable in the back waters and the bush than in any city. I have hunted bioraptors on M344G, hell hounds and laza tigers on Igneon one among other prey and planets. I have seen swamp worlds, scorched worlds earth like worlds and dead worlds. All as a professional hunter taking big wigs on safari at what they think is a wild world." Alex said with a bit of a laugh at the end. "

"Am I a scout? You bet your ass I am." Alex pulled a steel claw wrapped in leather from around his neck and tossed to Roberts "A souvenir from my last hunt. A tail hook from a laza tiger."

As the last of the turrets were being loaded Alex made his way to the armory and requisitioned an over under grenade launcher and began to mount it to his shotgun. The process was a simple one just a few clips and a few bolts to strip the shotgun to the frame and attach the launcher to it before rebuilding the entire rig. A little heavier but nothing that he couldn't handle.

When he was finished rebuilding his rig he grabbed a bandolier of grenades and replinished his stores of slugs and 000 buckshot and made his way back to reloading turrets.

Tag Roberts
Adding a grenade launcher to the shotgun.
-Spas-17 Shotgun

Corporal Hicks
Major

Post by Corporal Hicks » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:14 am

jdd2035 wrote:Alex looked up from the turret he was reloading and smiled "One of the best in the galaxy, if not the top ten percent. I am more comfortable in the back waters and the bush than in any city. I have hunted bioraptors on M344G, hell hounds and laza tigers on Igneon one among other prey and planets. I have seen swamp worlds, scorched worlds earth like worlds and dead worlds. All as a professional hunter taking big wigs on safari at what they think is a wild world." Alex said with a bit of a laugh at the end.

"Am I a scout? You bet your ass I am." Alex pulled a steel claw wrapped in leather from around his neck and tossed to Roberts "A souvenir from my last hunt. A tail hook from a laza tiger."

Tag Roberts
Eric looked down at the claw. He turned it over in his hand, studying it. "Well, sounds like you know your stuff. I'm Eric Roberts, looks like I'm your squad leader. Here," he tossed back the souvenir. "Go check out the armory. If you can find the attachment, and know how to put it on, go for it. And one more thing. Just 'cause you've seen all that stuff, don't think you know it all. No offense to you, but those things we're fighting ain't no safari. I'm just saying keep your guard up, it might save your life."

<Tag Creede>

jdd2035
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jdd2035 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:37 am

Alex came back and nodded "Never said I knew it all, I just meant I had experience." Alex raised his shirt cuff. "I know full well the consequences of underestimating the bush of any planet." A scar raked across his back and around to his stomach. "But I also know sooner or later somethings' going to get me before I get them." He shrugged and offered his hand "Names Alex Creed."

Tag Roberts.
-Spas-17 Shotgun

Quinn
First Lieutenant

Post by Quinn » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:52 pm

Quinn rubbed the bridge of his nose after listening to Dirk and Morse. They both had very good points, which is why he valued their counsel so highly. Making up his mind, he set his hand down and nodded.

"Okay then, this is how we'll play it. Load up the Marines with Rifles and Incinerators, drop their sidearms if the weight is too much. Shotguns for those who aren't rated with the Incinerator. Since this will be a snatch and grab, we need to have a nice big distraction for the bitch out there." Quinn nodded in the vague direction of the xeno hive. "So we make her panic. Have the Snakefighter drop some ordnance on the hive as though we're prepping for an invasion, which will make her pull back her troops to guard the hive. Then we hit the corporate base, grab what we need and get the hell out."

Quinn looked at both of them. "Let's get the job done and everyone out alive. We leave in twenty, get them ready."

<tag Dirk and Morse>
Current Gear
M42A Scope Rifle
Combat Knife
K52 Medical Kit
Flashlight, Flares (6)
Image Image Image

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:35 am

There was nothing disagreeable about Quinn’s plan as far as Morse could see. It was very straight forward and utilized most of the knowledge that they had in regards to their specific enemy. Morse was pleased with that. Unfortunately they did not have the best track record with things going as planned when it came to the bugs.

Humans thought rationally, fought organized, and had a strong concept of unit value. Their specific enemy had none of those traits. They charged in large groups, they did not feel the slightest bit of concern about bodily harm, and they did not seem to have any intelligence at all beyond that of an insect.

Still there was a point that was a bit unclear for Morse. He was not sure if Quinn was discounting his desire to bring along his Smartgun. And when Quinn brought up the issue of the very large insect that seemed to be leading them. For that Morse had a separate point.

”So, fer clarifyin’. Are we goin’ with gunner support, or optin’ out. Cus I got a strong preference for the first bit.” Some of their worst missions happened when there were no Smartgunners, and Morse did not like repeating.

”Oh and uh… if we’re worried about a real big bug walkin’ up… I just had a real big swatter come in fer me on the last supply run.” Morse noted bringing up something he did requisition which had arrived. ”Somethin’ to the tune of an M5 RPG aughta give her a nice reason to back the fuck up if it aint dead immediately.” Morse explained. ”So far’s I know I’m the only one rated to use her, n’ I’d be feelin’ a lot more comfortable if I was able to lug up the big guns in case somethin’ goes wrong. Even if its just me with em.” Morse said in a surprisingly civil tone.

As far as combat efficiency went, Morse had some of the best capabilities in the platoon. And walking with a Smartgun and an M5 Rocket Propelled Grenade Launcher would give the platoon options that they very well could wish they had if things got rough.

< Tag Quinn
Image-SSG Allen Morse - Squad Leader
- DEVIL DAWG
- M41A Pulse Rifle - M4 Pistol - Med Kit
Image Image Image Image

Quinn
First Lieutenant

Post by Quinn » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:44 am

Morse wrote:There was nothing disagreeable about Quinn’s plan as far as Morse could see. It was very straight forward and utilized most of the knowledge that they had in regards to their specific enemy. Morse was pleased with that. Unfortunately they did not have the best track record with things going as planned when it came to the bugs.

Humans thought rationally, fought organized, and had a strong concept of unit value. Their specific enemy had none of those traits. They charged in large groups, they did not feel the slightest bit of concern about bodily harm, and they did not seem to have any intelligence at all beyond that of an insect.

Still there was a point that was a bit unclear for Morse. He was not sure if Quinn was discounting his desire to bring along his Smartgun. And when Quinn brought up the issue of the very large insect that seemed to be leading them. For that Morse had a separate point.

”So, fer clarifyin’. Are we goin’ with gunner support, or optin’ out. Cus I got a strong preference for the first bit.” Some of their worst missions happened when there were no Smartgunners, and Morse did not like repeating.

”Oh and uh… if we’re worried about a real big bug walkin’ up… I just had a real big swatter come in fer me on the last supply run.” Morse noted bringing up something he did requisition which had arrived. ”Somethin’ to the tune of an M5 RPG aughta give her a nice reason to back the fuck up if it aint dead immediately.” Morse explained. ”So far’s I know I’m the only one rated to use her, n’ I’d be feelin’ a lot more comfortable if I was able to lug up the big guns in case somethin’ goes wrong. Even if its just me with em.” Morse said in a surprisingly civil tone.

As far as combat efficiency went, Morse had some of the best capabilities in the platoon. And walking with a Smartgun and an M5 Rocket Propelled Grenade Launcher would give the platoon options that they very well could wish they had if things got rough.

< Tag Quinn
Quinn looked at Morse with something approaching apprehension. "Can you actually carry both and be effective? Nevermind. If you can, carry both. If you can't, fall back to the Smartgun and have someone else tote your RPG. Definitely want to keep that on hand in case the Queen decides to make a guest appearance. And yes, those cleared on the Smartgun should have one. Just be careful what you shoot at in case there's a reactor in there."
Current Gear
M42A Scope Rifle
Combat Knife
K52 Medical Kit
Flashlight, Flares (6)
Image Image Image

Return to “Operation Alpha Strike”