Turn 5: Down the Rabbit Hole

The fourth mission
Quicksilver
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Re: Turn 5: Down the Rabbit Hole

Post by Quicksilver » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:55 pm

“Thank you sir.” Mark replied as he caught the shells, or at least tried to. The box bounced off his hand and rattled to the side. He brought up his other hand to save it, bouncing it back. Another couple of impacts had the box of shells safely in his hands, successfully stopped before they hit the floor. “Got it.” He said with a note of satisfaction. Cracking the box open, he started loading up magazines, stacking them neatly in the small pocket on the side of his backpack. The pocket was really better for VP70 magazines, but he made them fit until he got to the last two. For those, one went in a lower vest pocket, the last into the shotgun itself.

With the last things out of the way, he slung his backpack on and started for the APC.
Pvt. Mark Giosso
3rd Bn, 2nd Reg, 1st Co, 8th Plt
Security Systems Master
Communications / Computer and Motion Tracker Operation Expert
Surveillance Equipment Operation Professional

maxvale76
Chief Warrant Officer 3

Post by maxvale76 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:48 am

Samantha relunctantly picked up a Flame-thrower for herself; per orders and the fact that she was the only one in her squad rated to use one. She had never liked the things; finding them too much of a hazard to use in close quarters with fellows marines nearby; but she did recognized that they were an extremely effective weapon around Xenos and one that did not lead to acidic blood being dangerously splashed out in all directions.

Later; she did a quick introduction to her two new squad mates; Boothe the medic and Louis the smartgunner. Looking up and up and up at Boothe; she smiled and joked; "Well....I hope you played basketball or volleyball at some point in your life."

Clearing her throat and in a more serious tone she spoke to both men. Her carribbean-esque accent from the colony world of New Kingtson was readily apparent in her voice. "I'm Corporal Samantha Hall; but feel free to call me Sam. I'm leading First Squad in this platoon; and I like to think of us as the 'sane ones' compared to Morse and his crazies in Second Squad. I have no idea about the new guys in the Scout Squad except for the fact that Duncan is one helluva shot and Dirk and Obi in the Command Squad certainly know thier stuff and the El-tee has been around the block a few times."

"If you haven't faced these xenomorphs before; don't get cocky based on our recent successes against them. We've been fighitng them out in the open; with lots of firepower at our disposal and either on ground of our choosing or from the luxury of armored vehicles. These things are incredibly dangerous and a group of them can drop a squad of marines in next to no time at all. I've seen it first hand; so stay frosty."

"We're going into the home territory of these things; so keep in mind that they will know every inch of this place far better than we do and they can appear out of the ground; out of the walls; from the ceiling; from anywhere. As i"m the only one with a Flame thrower; I'll be taking point if we have to move single file or side by side with your smartgun Louis if there's enough room for 2 by 2 formations. If we do walk single-file; I want Gioso behind me; then Boothe; then Louis walking drag. Remember to watch your backgrounds at all times....if the ball opens in tight-quarters; with walking bags of acid rushing to get up close and personal with your fellow marines; be damn careful where your shots go as I don't want us causing friendly-fire casualties if we can help it."

"Boothe; since you're rated as a medic; I want you to check out anything you can on your PDA on how to quickly treat acid burns.....just in case. Louis; if you get a clear fire-zone; lay down as much as you can on as big a group of them as you can....if there's a choice between a one or two of them or a group of half-a-dozen; drop the big group as potentially hiiting a couple and making them spray their blood on thier friends might take them out too."

"Okay...that's enough of a speach. Welcome to the platoon; keep your eyes and ears open at all times and watch out for each other. I don't want any heroes in this squad; but I DO want marines that live to ripe old-age and have a lot of stories to tell thier kids, grand-kids, girls at the bar, whatever.....understand?"' she finished with a heartfelt smile and warmth in her eyes.

<Tag First Squad>
ImageSGT Samantha "Sam" Hall

M41A Pulse Rifle
Image Image Image Image Image Image

MarcusOTerra
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by MarcusOTerra » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:44 am

When the only woman in the unit spoke up, Sal was at the part in the guide where it covered close quarters use of the flamer. There were settings to reduce the amount of propellent fired and the pressure to prevent what was official called, "Accidental Interior Saturation", there was a hand written alternative in the margins: "Ass Incineration Situation."

She gave Sal some vital information, first that her rank and name were Corporal and Samantha Hall. Second that he, Sal, was going to be medic for this excursion. She apparently didn't notice the flamer at his back. A small voice wanted him to keep quiet on this. That kind of thinking would get him killed, he rationalized.

"Corporal," Sal decided to be formal as a start, "I'm not officially rated, but I do have some field and practical experience with the flamer." He tapped the one at his side, "If you need a spare, I've got this, and some canisters."

<Tag Sam>

Her mention of acid burns immediately put him into mind of what he had seen flying around during the previous action. Off the top of his head he knew that basic hydrofluoric acid burns required a series of flushing, topical calcium gluconate applications, and some similar aquous injections under the burn area.

"I know what to stock up on, but how voracious is the acid?" After a beat, "How much can an amount eat through before it sublimates," Another beat, "Runs out of burn,"
Salazar 'Salamander' Boothe: 'Private', 'Medic', 'Marine'.
Load out: As Turn Two of Watch Dog
Pulse Rifle: Clip loaded +4 on person.
1 Field Surgery Kit
3 First aid Kits
4 smoke grenades
Breather Mask.

eyeball
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by eyeball » Sat May 03, 2014 1:41 am

”Alright dibs, listen fer a sec. I aint figured I briefed yall on our designation, but were squad 2. Number aside, our squads the “Dead Shots. N’ we got a specific history n’ job designation. Were the fuckers that battle n’ bail. We kill the fuck outa everythin’. Generally rack in more kills and find ourselves in the crazy fuck storm. N’ if we aint doin’ that, we’re bailin’ out the rest a the fuckin’ platoon from whatever crazy shit there into.I aint privy to where were gonna be standin’ once were in, but once were there, were gonna do what ‘Dead Shots’ do and kick fuckin’ ass. Aint no questions to it. If it looks hostile, fill that fucker up with holes. Simple shit, and we all walk out livin’ easy n’ getting’ the fuck off this rock by tomara. Good with that?”
ok squad two or the dead shots, got that, eyeball thought. " no pressure then corp!" eyeball stated.
Eyeball checked his ammo load out again, if they were going to be in the centre of every shit storm he might need a bit more...oh well he was carrying extra already and morse was loaded of bear, dragon, giant and fuck just about everything.

"ready here, Corporal,"

<tag squad 2>
ImageLCpl. Robert Paulson
incinerator, 2 spare fuel bottles, motion detector, first aid kit, pistol, knife, 2 frag.
special weapons tech
Image Image

Corporal Hicks
Major

Post by Corporal Hicks » Mon May 05, 2014 1:58 am

Roberts was standing by the officers. "Hey Dirk, did you want me and my scouts to take the buggy? We can hop in now and go first if you want."

<Tag Dirk Pitt>
ImageSgtMaj. Danny Sykes - Platoon NCO
USCM Special Forces Recon Team
Serial Number: D26/TQ6.3.48412E9

Dirk Pitt
First Lieutenant

Post by Dirk Pitt » Mon May 05, 2014 7:08 pm

Dirk thought about it for a moment. "That's a good Idea. Get your people in the buggy and head out when we do. Move ahead and give us a heads up on whats ahead." He said. Then moving in closer to his old friend he leaned in. "I also want you to draw some high explosives, enough to make a hell of a bang and load it into the buggy. Get a fuse with remote and timed receivers and keep it on you. If we have to fall back quick or make a big hole we'll like having it around."
<Tag Roberts>
Cpl Dirk Pitt
First squad leader

Gear
Pulse Rifle w/ 4 grenades, 8 canister shells
M1911 Colt .45 caliber Sidearm
Smoke Grenade x2
KBAR Combat Knife
Portable Welder
Ithaca Shotgun

Non Combat Equipment
Zippo lighter
Cigarettes

Corporal Hicks
Major

Post by Corporal Hicks » Mon May 05, 2014 7:44 pm

Dirk Pitt wrote:Dirk thought about it for a moment. "That's a good Idea. Get your people in the buggy and head out when we do. Move ahead and give us a heads up on whats ahead." He said. Then moving in closer to his old friend he leaned in. "I also want you to draw some high explosives, enough to make a hell of a bang and load it into the buggy. Get a fuse with remote and timed receivers and keep it on you. If we have to fall back quick or make a big hole we'll like having it around."
<Tag Roberts>
"Roger that, Sir," he said, then turning away he called out to his squad, "Creed! Duncan! Come with me!" He raised his hand in the air and did a beckoning motion, then started walking quickly toward the armory. As the two marines caught up to him, he said, "Alright fellas, we're takin' the buggy. Creed, I want you to grab four boxes of C4. Duncan, get us about eight Claymores. I'll grab a couple demolition kits and help you carry that crap. I want it all in the buggy's storage compartment, ASAP."

<Tag Creed and Duncan>

Pale Rider
Major

Post by Pale Rider » Tue May 06, 2014 8:12 pm

Three hours had passed since the first orders were barked! The Marines found themselves at the entrance to the valley that housed the forward observation post and the scientific research center. Thus far no Xenos were in sight.

<actions>
GM

Image Image Image

taimdala
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by taimdala » Tue May 06, 2014 8:31 pm

((OOC: I have to assume that as Quinn didn't respond to my tag and no one else posted that I got kicked out of the APC, that Oksana's along with y'all.))
ImageCpl. Dmitri Mikhailovich Barayev
Current Gear
Light Armor
M41A Rifle + 2 clips
VP70 Pistol + 2 clips
Knife
8 grenades
Entrenching Tool
Image Image

"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Corporal Hicks
Major

Post by Corporal Hicks » Tue May 06, 2014 10:07 pm

Eric Roberts pulled out of the foliage and into the valley of the facility. He stopped the buggy. He had done his best to drive the new vehicle, despite his lack of training. It was certainly a bumpy ride, but nothing had gone wrong. "Duncan, get me the APC on the comm," he said as he scanned the valley. Nothing seemed to be moving. He turned around and looked up at Private Creed in the turret. "Hey Creed, you alright?" he said, and he couldn't help but smile when he saw all the vines and leaves that had stuck to the other soldier.

<Tag Creed and Duncan>

Duncan handed him the radio. "APC, come in, over. This is Roberts. We're at the valley and we don't see any problems. We'll wait for you here." He pulled up his re-breather and took a swig from his canteen while he waited for a response. The water felt good on his dry throat.

<Tag APC>

Quicksilver
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Quicksilver » Wed May 07, 2014 4:55 pm

“At valley, no contacts, copy that Roberts.” Mark replied from his usual seat at the APCs comms station. The summary response was typical protocol, whether or not the LT was sitting close by listening in to the radio himself. Continuing to divide his attention between the vehicles’ motion sensors and the communications console, Mark took a breath and hoped. They might just make it in and out of this one un-scathed.
Pvt. Mark Giosso
3rd Bn, 2nd Reg, 1st Co, 8th Plt
Security Systems Master
Communications / Computer and Motion Tracker Operation Expert
Surveillance Equipment Operation Professional

jdd2035
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jdd2035 » Thu May 08, 2014 12:56 am

Eric Roberts pulled out of the foliage and into the valley of the facility. He stopped the buggy. He had done his best to drive the new vehicle, despite his lack of training. It was certainly a bumpy ride, but nothing had gone wrong. "Duncan, get me the APC on the comm," he said as he scanned the valley. Nothing seemed to be moving. He turned around and looked up at Private Creed in the turret. "Hey Creed, you alright?" he said, and he couldn't help but smile when he saw all the vines and leaves that had stuck to the other soldier.
Alex had busied himself with loading up on the added explosives and he was feeling the extra weight "I'm a scout not a demo expert all this extra weight is gona do is weigh me down and probably blow us all to bits." Alex shrugged he followed the orders and in a pinch could set them up in a trap. The were way too loud still but at least they were in the bush now a place where he felt more at home and his body language showed it.

As he stepped out of the buggy his experience from his former life kicked right in and he began searching for sign in his general area figuring what was fresh and what was not. Sign came in al shapes and sizes tracks were one but waste and husks were another and with the planet being a bog-ish world heavier creatures sank deeper.

Tag Roberts
Roll Scouting/Survival which ever tracking is under.
-Pvt. Alex Creede - Scout
-3rd Bn, 2nd Reg, 1st Co, 8th Plt
-Spas-17 Shotgun

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Thu May 08, 2014 4:23 am

In some ways Morse had wanted to have his squad loaded onto one of the buggies. Months earlier their squad had utilized one, but they had only three men in the squad. The Buggy held a maximum of three, but his squad now had four men. It would be too difficult and impractical to add on another man as it would either immobilize the turret or leave them hanging off the back, which was a horrifically stupid plan in rough terrain.

But thoughts of being able to autonomously move quickly subsided as the idea of staying in the immense and safe APC. The giant cannons and armored plating was enough to make any marine feel as though some higher power was on their side. And it made the ride just a little easier since they weren’t completely exposed.

Three short hours later they were arriving at their destination, and Morse loaded himself back up. The massive M56 Smartgun in his hands was rivaled only by the M5 Rocket Launcher that was strapped to his back. Others may find the weight of such weapons difficult, but Morse had long since learned to handle it. He was no longer the support fighter he once was. Learning both infiltration and medical aid to help in any situation, and carrying load outs to help. He was now completely designated to utterly destroying whatever enemy lay in front of them, and he was well versed in the art of doing it.

Morse and his squad disembarked with the others and overlooked the compound which they were about to invade. By the look of it there was little in the ways of defense. But looks could always be deceiving and Morse never trusted an easy situation when dealing with the colonies, and especially not the xenomorphs they frequently encountered in those days.

”Dead shots.” Morse called. ”Get yer ass’s loaded and cocked. No safety, no mercy. All get figured that’s the name a today’s game.” Morse ordered, giving a very bleak and harsh view of the rules of combat. If Sam heard that she would likely tell her squad to do the opposite, but increasingly they were starting to come at odds over the concepts of morality and its trade off with practicality.

< Tag Dead Shots

Morse stepped forward a bit, knowing he was to lead since he had the big gun. ”Heyo Roberts. Keep us on the up’n’up. You see bugs, were gonna want a good vector to either avoid or fuck em up from.” Morse called over the radio to the scout squad.

< Tag Roberts

Morse switched his com over to the all call, in an attempt to stir up trouble in his usual way.

”Yo Sam.” Morse called out. ”Since by some ungodly fuck up in the fate finds us both sittin’ on top a squads for some fucked up reason’r ‘nother. What say we make a wager on who’s gon’ do the better.” Morse started. ”I’ll put fifty cash dollars down on the Dead Shots gettin’ a higher head count’n yers in squad one by the time were back on truck and headin’ back to base. Whatcha say?” Morse baited, hoping that his long time ally would take him up on his self gratifying game.

< Tag Sam
Image-SSG Allen Morse - Squad Leader
-3rd Bn, 2nd Reg, 1st Co, 8th Plt
- DEVIL DAWG
- M41A Pulse Rifle - M4 Pistol - Med Kit
Image Image Image Image

MarcusOTerra
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by MarcusOTerra » Thu May 08, 2014 4:42 pm

Sal had spent the better part of the ride up reading through more and more of the remedial field guide. There was a very clear warning, in the subject of indicators, on how to tell when you were overcooking the flamer, and when a 'catastrophic containment failure' would occur. It described the carnage as a small uncontrolled BOMB as opposed to the relatively predictable stream of burning death.

That put the smile right back on Sal's face. As he refreshed on the various safety measures, he had the flamer in his lap, and rested his index finger on each part of the weapon of death as he reviewed it in his head.

Sam hadn't given him a no or yes by the time they had to roll out; but one way or the other, he'd find a way to earn this toasty tide turning terror. She was the only other person, he could see, that had a flamer, and if any one in the unit was going to have the stripes to test him, it'd be her.

So he'd have to impress her with his capacity for incineration.

<Spend the rounds going up reading on the flamer and becoming more acquainted with it>

When the time came to unload, Sal had his rifle in hand, and immediately swept the area outside the APC with his sights. The insects had shown intelligence before, if he didn't present the image of awareness, they might take advantage and strike.

<Roll Awareness>

Out in the open, without a wall, and turrets, and a snakefighter to run to, Sal didn't like that idea. He heard Morse challenging Sam to a headcount bet. Sal smiled at the idea, but the problem occurred to him, if they winged a target and it crawled of into a corner to die, out of sight, how'd they count coup?

"If it doesn't drop, it doesn't count," Sal muttered aloud. "No points for half-ass hits." He added quietly.
Salazar 'Salamander' Boothe: 'Private', 'Medic', 'Marine'.
Load out: As Turn Two of Watch Dog
Pulse Rifle: Clip loaded +4 on person.
1 Field Surgery Kit
3 First aid Kits
4 smoke grenades
Breather Mask.

Corporal Hicks
Major

Post by Corporal Hicks » Thu May 08, 2014 5:06 pm

jdd2035 wrote:"I'm a scout not a demo expert all this extra weight is gona do is weigh me down and probably blow us all to bits." Alex shrugged he followed the orders and in a pinch could set them up in a trap.
"Don't worry about the weight. We're probably gonna leave it in the buggy. It's just in case we end up needing it," Eric said.
Morse wrote:”Heyo Roberts. Keep us on the up’n’up. You see bugs, were gonna want a good vector to either avoid or fuck em up from.” Morse called over the radio to the scout squad.
"Roger that, Corporal," he said into his microphone. "We're gonna circle the complex and see what we can see." He listened to Morse's trouble making with the other squad, and decided that he wasn't going to get his squad involved in the rivalry if he could avoid it. Morse might be relaxed enough to screw around, but Eric hadn't done this in years and he was nervous. But then again, a competition might help the new guys stay calm.

<Tag Morse>
jdd2035 wrote:They were way too loud still but at least they were in the bush now a place where he felt more at home and his body language showed it.

As he stepped out of the buggy his experience from his former life kicked right in and he began searching for sign in his general area figuring what was fresh and what was not.
Eric watched Creed as he searched the area. He seemed to know what he was doing. Eric thought his skills would probably come in handy as long as he kept his cool. "Hey Creed, as soon as you're done we're gonna circle the complex," he said. While he waited, he scanned the area again from his seat. Then he had a thought. "Oh, and Creed, you think you can drive this thing for us? I'm certified on that gun," he motioned to the turret. He used to be a professional at heavy weapons, but it had been years since his training. Still, he had plenty of experience blowing things apart with the APC gun.

<Tag Creed>
(Roll Awareness/Scouting)

Return to “Operation Alpha Strike”