Turn 2: And Away We Go

The fifth mission.
Dirk Pitt
First Lieutenant

Re: Turn 2 And Away We Go

Post by Dirk Pitt » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:32 pm

After Quinn disappeared into the office Dirk waited for the Master Chief to come back out and close the door behind him. Crossing the room slowly, Dirk moved close to the chief.

"NCO to NCO, I need to ask you a question. What is going on Master chief? Because I know for sure that this isn't a briefing."
<Tag Master Chief>
Cpl Dirk Pitt
First squad leader

Gear
Pulse Rifle w/ 4 grenades, 8 canister shells
M1911 Colt .45 caliber Sidearm
Smoke Grenade x2
KBAR Combat Knife
Portable Welder
Ithaca Shotgun

Non Combat Equipment
Zippo lighter
Cigarettes

Pale Rider
Major

Post by Pale Rider » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:12 am

The Master Chief looked around the room before responding, "Your right it is not a briefing. That Lieutenant of yours pissed off someone higher up in the chain of command. The Colonel and Admiral both believe that y'all did the right thing by blowing up the Snakefighter."
He stopped and leaned closer; his voice dropped to barely a whisper, "Yours is not the first military vessel to be jacked. Someone is leaking out information to the Secessionists. The Admiral thinks that the Fleet Commander is preparing to switch sides. The Vice Admiral and LT Colonel are both in the doghouse and the Judge Advocate and JAGs are all good friends with Admiral Exum. Everyone who supports him finds themselves being relocated to the base. While those like Burns and the Colonel are sent out to the outer edges on patrol and one of Admiral Exum's lapdogs is sent along to ride herd. The only thing that is going to save your Lieutenant is the fact that there is no one available to take over command immediately of the Eights, LT Colonel McGehee has requested that Admiral Burns offer clemency after the trial."

Master Chief Gilmore shrugged apologetically, "Beyond that I know nothing else!"
GM

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Corporal Hicks
Major

Post by Corporal Hicks » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:55 pm

Commander Soles sat in the middle chair of the table, typing on a data-screen. On her right sat Vice Admiral Burns, and to her left was Lt. Colonel McGehee. Both of them sat higher than her, and both had thicker frames. The size difference fit how uncomfortable she was with two high-ranking officers watching her every move. This wasn't her first time serving as a judge in military court, but she had never presided over a case with this big of a dollar sign attached to it.

Commander Soles looked at her watch; 0800 hours. She looked up at the people in the room, and spoke quickly in her usual sharp tone of voice. "This is the US Military Tribunal aboard the USS Defiant, at 0800 hours on August 6th, 2080, Judge Advocate Amanda Soles presiding. The charge is destruction of government property, under Article 108, estimated between 18 and 20 million dollars in damages, specifically relating to the destruction of one USCM Snakefighter vessel, as well as supplies aboard said vessel. The Accused is Lieutenant Sixtus Quinn, Platoon Commander of 3rd Division, 2nd Regiment, 1st Company, 8th Platoon. The prosecution and the defense have been allowed adequate time to prepare for this tribunal, and so I will now hear opening arguments. Prosecution, you may begin." Soles gained confidence as she spoke, this wasn't her first rodeo.

(OOC: I allowed for deflation in the cost of the damages, in accordance with the court proceedings in the movie Aliens.)
ImageSgtMaj. Danny Sykes - Platoon NCO
USCM Special Forces Recon Team
Serial Number: D26/TQ6.3.48412E9

maxvale76
Chief Warrant Officer 3

Post by maxvale76 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:48 pm

(OOC: It's a minor thing; but unless things have changed much; a CDR is the equivalent of a LT COL; both are O5s.....but the Vice Admiral would definitely still make her nervous! :) )
ImageSGT Samantha "Sam" Hall

M41A Pulse Rifle

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:59 am

((OOC - Sorry about the length... but I had a lot to cover since its basically up to me to come up with the charges. Shouldn't be this bad from now on.... I hope...))

”Thank you ma’am.” answered a man in his late thirties. He had a well pressed uniform, and dark brown hair, which was not showing signs of age. He was in good physical shape and his name inscription listed him as Major Richmond. ”To state for record, I am Major Francis Richmond, and I am representing the United States Colonial Marine Corps in the following proceedings.”

The man stepped to the center of the room, between the three overseers and the accused. ”I will begin simply by stating the facts of the case before us. On the morning of August 4th of this year, an NTV Mk 2 SNAKEFIGHTER, under the command of Lt. Quinn, dropped out of slip space on approach to Goliath after a four month deployment to Ekylprillion, a back water moon on the outer reaches of ICC space, the details of the mission of course being classified. At approximately 0710 the vessel sent a distress signal to the base on Goliath, saying that they were under attack from a hostile force, origins unknown. The sector is known to have a large amount of pirate activity, hence the necessity of the bases construction on Goliath.

A response was sent to the SNAKEFIGHTER under Lt. Quinn’s command informing him that assistance was on its way, as a Conestoga Class-Cruiser was dispatched immediately upon the reception of the signal, as per USCM protocoll. However, no response to this transmission was received.

A SNAKEFIGHTER, for those who may be unfamiliar, is a deep infiltration vessel. It is specifically designed for high interspace maneuverability, as well as being outfitted to keep a low radar signature. It’s primary purpose is to get a small force quickly into a region without being detected. They are not as heavily armed as a Conestoga Class-Cruiser, but they do carry a number of point defense weapons, and can at times be outfitted with much heavier ordinance, such as nuclear weapons.

This particular SNAKEFIGHTER, was outfitted with said nuclear weapons.

At approximately 0730, the Cruiser detected an energy signal identical that of a close, controlled, nuclear detonation. And twenty minutes after this the Cruiser arrived at the location of another emergency beacon that was coming from a short range transmitter that is typically only used for transmissions kept within low orbit or in atmosphere. It was discovered that this beacon was coming from an M577 Armored Personnel Carrier, that had previously been designated to the SNAKEFIGHTER under Lt. Quinn’s command, which was adrift in space.

Inside the M577 were the occupants of the SNAKEFIGHTER, all accounted for, which were then rescued and brought here, with nothing but a small debris pile left at the location of the aforementioned engagement.

Given there was no response to the transmissions sent to the SNAKEFIGHTER, and the vessel in question was not found with the exception of pieces of debris believed to be the remains of the vessell, it is the Justice Department's belief that the SNAKEFIGHTER did engage the hostile element. But given the manner of recovery of all of personnel under his command, it is believed that Lt. Quinn ordered the manual, in craft detonation of a nuclear warhead inside of his own vessel.

And given that the maneuverability and offensive capabilities of the vessel were more then capable to handle any registered threat within the system, whether it be through direct engagement or tactical withdrawal, it is the Justice Departments belief that Lt. Quinn, through a reckless degree of negligence, gave the order to utilize the vessel as a sort of kamikaze for no other reason then to achieve a small victory, regardless of cost to the United States Colonial Marine Corps and Navy, and at the risk of his of his own men.

Throughout the proceeding we will show that Lt. Quinn has a history of reckless tactics that show a blatant disregard of cost, as well as a multitude of situations that he has shown questionable judgment, including, but not limited to his time as an officer as of the United States Colonial Marine Corps, which will amount to the evidence for the Justice Departments beliefs on this matter.”

Major Richmond then returned to his seat and looked back over at Commander Soles. ”I yield the floor now to the defense, Ma’am.” He said with an open palmed gesture to the opposite side of the room.
Image-SSG Allen Morse - Squad Leader
-3rd Bn, 2nd Reg, 1st Co, 8th Plt
- DEVIL DAWG
- M41A Pulse Rifle - M4 Pistol - Med Kit
Image Image Image Image

Corporal Hicks
Major

Post by Corporal Hicks » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:55 pm

Commander Soles listened attentively to Major Richmond. "Thank you, Major. Captain Agnew, proceed with your opening statement," she said, looking at the blonde defense attorney.

taimdala
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by taimdala » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:55 am

taimdala wrote:((OCC: I will post tonight! I need to get my notes in order. RL's been crazy for the past 48. Just getting my head together now....))
And here it is. Thank you for your patience, everyone.

The blonde rose and nodded at the Major. Her voice was low and firm, her bearing erect and hinting an extremely fit physique despite the severe uniform she wore. She was that indeterminate age between 30 and 60 but there was nothing vague about the look in her eye. She was a fighter.

"Thank you, sir. Thank you, Ma'am. Let the record state I am Captain Vanessa Agnew, representing The Accused, Lieutenant Sixtus Quinn, Platoon Commander of 3rd Division, 2nd Regiment, 1st Company, 8th Platoon."

She rounded the desk and addressed the room.

"Lieutenant Quinn stands trial for negligence. The Major brings up several good points but there are gaps in his presentation, not the least of which is Lt. Quinn's service record. Quinn's first action with the Easy Eights was as a lowly PFC and yet he distinguished himself by running out into the middle of a firefight to drag a wounded man back to safety. Lt. Quinn was granted the Bronze Star for his action. After several campaigns during which he acquitted himself well, Lt. Quinn saved the President of the United States.

"Those actions, however, are not what brought us here today. What has brought this excellent man before this court is 20 minutes, perhaps as much as a mere half hour in which actions on both sides have determined the outcome. All that is left is …," Agnew paused and slid a cool look at Richmond. "Presentation of the facts."

Agnew faced the room again.

"Having spoken with the accused and his unit during preparations, one thing became very clear. No matter the maneuverability of the Snakefightger, the skill of her pilot or the alleged inadequacies of the enemy: an EMP fired by the enemy disabled the Snakefighter beyond all ability to evade, attack, or repel the hostiles intent on boarding her. With no communications, no cannon, no life support, everyone aboard the crippled Snakefighter had at most 20 minutes of air left in which to plan and execute Lt. Quinn's orders.

"Based on eye witness testimony, the enemy ship was larger than the Snakefighter and therefore it would not be unreasonable to expect it to carry a hostile force in numbers far greater than Lt. Quinn's command. Based on eyewitness testimony, the hostiles had tethered the Snakefighter and were towing her away from the distress beacon's location. Within a very short time, the Snakefighter would be off-beacon and the Connestoga class vessel dispatched to render assistance would meet nothing but empty space. With 20 minutes or less of air left, it would be a simple matter for the hostiles to wait for all aboard to asphyxiate before boarding. Once aboard, the hostiles would have access to everything the Snakefighter carried, including advanced weapons and supplies to further their pirate campaigns in the sector, weapons and supplies we would and should refuse the enemy.

"Faced with an unknown number of hostiles intent on boarding, stranded on a crippled ship with no life support and no means to move out of harm's way—or bring harm to the enemy by conventional means—Lt. Quinn chose to save the lives under his command and to deny the enemy their prize: namely, the Snakefighter and everything she held. And he did so in a manner designed to sow as much destruction upon the enemy as possible in his effort to secure the lives of the individuals he was responsible for. He did indeed scuttle the Snakefighter with a tactical warhead, ensuring the craft and her complement of weapons would remain forever out of pirate hands, preventing their use against the citizens of Goliath and beyond.

"It is this function—to kill the enemy, to deny him territory, support, and assets, and to preserve the lives of the men and women in service as well as civilians who may be present—this duty, I daresay, that we've trained Lt. Quinn to do, he bore and carried out admirably and in this case, he did so under extreme circumstances. Nothing of the Snakefighter remained to fall into enemy hands. Not one man or woman under his command failed to make it out alive. Not even the two civilians aboard with the Marines failed to make it to safety.

"None of this would have been possible if Lt. Quinn had chosen to stand and fight against too many unknowns with too little to utilize against them. With less than 20 minutes of air left and with only a finite number of guns and ammunition, Lt. Quinn would have risked being overrun by superior numbers and losing everything he's been tasked to safeguard. Had he been overrun, had he and everyone under his command died in a futile firefight against boarders, the Snakefighter would have been left to the tender mercies of hostile intent and the safety of Goliath would have been seriously, perhaps egregiously, compromised.

"If any failure could rightfully be assigned to any party, I would say it was a failure in foresight to build the Snakefighter vulnerable to an EMP strike. How that EMP weapon came to be in enemy hands may be beyond the scope of this proceeding, but I would like the record to show that once that EMP had hit its target, it wasn't negligence on part of Lt. Quinn that killed the Snakefighter. Rather it was the laws that govern physics and the harsh realities they impose.

"Lt. Sixtus Quinn chose the hard right of scuttling the ship over the easy wrong of fighting and losing it to the enemy, knowing full well how his actions might present unfavorably to others elsewhere. My goal for this proceeding is simple: to disprove the charges against Lt. Sixtus Quinn and to present evidence not of his alleged negligence but proof of his clear and measured assessment of the facts and of the odds for battle or survival, and the unflinching execution of his duty despite the … unpopular … option left to him."

Captain Vanessa Agnew swept the room with a solemn look and nodded curtly.

"The truth is self-evident. All that remains are eyes willing to see it. Thank you."

Agnew returned to her seat and by doing so, returned the floor to those who would have it next.

((OOC: Okay, that's it, Edits done. I'm turning off my laptop and walking away. Dear God, I'm tired.))
ImageCpl. Dmitri Mikhailovich Barayev
Current Gear
Light Armor
M41A Rifle + 2 clips
VP70 Pistol + 2 clips
Knife
8 grenades
Entrenching Tool
Image Image

"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Corporal Hicks
Major

Post by Corporal Hicks » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:41 pm

Commander Soles listened intently to the defense's argument. "Thank you, Captain," she said. "Major Richmond, the US Colonial Marine Corps may now present evidence or call its first witness. You may proceed."

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:35 am

(OOC: Since I’m already thoroughly outnumbered as it is, I hope no one mines if I bring on ‘expert testimony’ for the sake of damning the accused.)

Richmond stood up, and stated for the record. “The USCMC would at this time call upon the testimony of Captain Randal.”

Richmond waited as a man of similar age, with a black, thinning hairline, was brought in and seated upon the stand, and sworn in.

“Could you tell us your specific designated station Captain Randal?” Richmond asked.

“I am a tactical analysis expert stationed here on Goliath.” Randal replied.

“Could you elaborate on exactly what a tactical analysis expert does, Captain?” Richmond asked.

“I am responsible for monitoring threats, and assets, in the region and building response models to them. But more specifically I am charged with finding the designation and combat effectiveness of enemy combatants in the sector.” Randal answered.

“Would you consider this sector to be a place of high security risk?” Richmond asked.

“Yes, sir, there are a large number of insurgent, as well as pirate organizations that operate in the sector.” Randal reported.

“And so this poses a great deal of risk to our vessels and personnel in the region as well?” Richmond asked.

“Not quite as much as it would to private vessels in the region.” Randal noted.

“And why is that?” Richmond requested, tilting his head.

“Well Private vessels are not typically armed or capable of fending off such attacks short of running away. Naval vessels on the other hand are all operating with state of the art weaponry, armor, and sensory equipment.” Randal commented.

“Would you believe a Snakefighter to be an exception to that given it’s size?” Richmond mused.

“No, sir. Snakefighters have a combat rating that should be more then adequate for dealing with the vast majority of threats we have in the sector.” Randal answered.

“Then could you inform us of the combat rating that the majority of the hostile elements in the sector?” Richmond requested.

“Generally speaking its recycled, or repurposed mining and salvage equipment, or perhaps small scale offensive weaponry such as point defense guns. These are all mounted to commercial vessels that have been retrofitted for low scale ship to ship engagement, but nothing terribly substantial.” Randal responded.

“If there is nothing substantial in play, then why would you think the sector is listed as a high risk zone?” Richmond asked.

“The sheer number of hostiles that operate in the sector is what causes the alert level to be so high. It has a much higher concentration then most areas, specifically due to its distance from the more heavily patrolled and regulated regions of ICC space.” Randal noted.

“Getting back then to the capabilities of the enemy, can you tell us if they are prone to boarding actions?” Richmond questioned.

“They are, generally when they are attempting to take a prize of their target they will board a vessel, rather then sink it altogether.” Randal answered.

“And what is the usual numbers of a boarding party.” Richmond stopped, and spoke again. “Let me rephrase. What would you say is the largest boarding party that one might find here?”

Randal paused. “No more then say, a dozen, perhaps twenty boarders.”

“So if these are commercial vessels, of similar size and payload of a large standard transport, why would there be so few? Why not several hundred if it had the space?” Richmond asked, in a way that suggested he already knew the answer.

Randal paused again, seemingly confused by the simplicity of the questions answer. “Because, sir, most of these ships require crews of less then ten. Anything else is just extra resources that are required to be brought out here, which are rather scarce and difficult to acquire given the ICC presence and proximity to fully operational colonies which are capable of exporting things such as water and food.”

Richmond came closer to Randal. “To clarify, your suggesting that large scale boarding actions are not likely here, other then a maximum of twenty irregulars, which would not be a great struggle for an armed platoon of Colonial Marines to deal with, correct?”

“Oh, yes.” Randal said nodding quickly. “A platoon would be able to handle these groups with ease in my opinion. They are generally poorly equipped and poorly trained. Hell I’d wager a squad or two would be more then enough to handle anything in this sector when it comes to boarders.”

Richmond nodded. “Thank you Captain, I just have a few more questions. Would you say these insurgents and renegades have weapon systems capable of fully disabling a vessel such as the Snakefighter?”

Randal’s face showed he was considering the question. “Disable in what way?”

Richmond stepped away from Randal. “A weapon system that could deliver a large EMP burst to render the Snakefighter completely inoperable?”

Randal almost laughed at the assertion. “Oh no. Not these individuals.”

Richmond came back center with Randal. “Could you enlighten us to your thoughts on this assertion?”

Randal leaned back in his chair. “Well the Snakefighter is already equipped with EMP resistant systems, so the only things that could penetrate it would have to be rather serious. But no vessel in the system other then ours would have a hull that could resist such a burst, which would likely render their vessel equally inoperable. This is all merely speculative of course as there has been no record of such weapon systems being utilized in the system, and the acquisition of such a system, let alone the cost, would be nearly impossible to attain out here.” Randal concluded.

Richmond folded his arms before Randal. “So in your opinion, it’s unreasonable to assume a large scale boarding action would be attempted in this sector, let alone in tandem with a massive EMP style burst.”

Randal shook his head. “I’d find both to be utterly improbable based on all our information up till now, and the idea of both happening at once to be far less then remote.”

Richmond nodded. “Thank you, Captain. I have no further questions.”

Richmond returned to his seat.
- DEVIL DAWG
Image Image Image Image

Corporal Hicks
Major

Post by Corporal Hicks » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:46 am

"Your witness, Captain," said Commander Soles, looking at Captain Agnew.

taimdala
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by taimdala » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:41 pm

"Thank you, Commander Soles," Agnew said with a nod as she rose and approached the witness.

"Captain Randal, you are tasked to analyze intelligence on the insurgents and by its data assess the threats posed by them. How many of these insurgents have you interrogated?"

Captain Randal visibly paused. Agnew raised a blonde eyebrow and gave him a pointed look.

"Captain? Shall I rephrase the question?"

"No, Ma'am." Randal recovered and straightened in his chair.

"Is the answer "No, Ma'am, I have not interrogated nor has anyone else interrogated insurgents" or is it "No, Ma'am, I do not need the question rephrased"?

"I do not need the question rephrased." Randal cleared his throat. "I have not nor has anyone else interrogated any insurgents."

"Why has so vital a data source been neglected, Captain?"

"Because, Ma'am," Randal said with clear condescension. "None survived to be interrogated. They were killed during our engagements with them."

"How … wasteful," Agnew said, cool as the winter snow. "As the insurgents are a clear danger to the sector, it would stand to reason there would be orders to capture and interrogate as many possible. Captain Randal, can you explain how, in the absence of interrogating them of their training, you yet officially assert that they are ill trained?"

"I cannot—," Randal began.

"You cannot accurately assess their level of training due to lack of data, yet you insist they are ill trained. Thank you," Agnew said. "Next question. Can you tell me how many insurgent ships have been captured so as to arrive at an accurate analysis of their size, weaponry, and crew complement?"

"But I haven't answered the first ques—!"

"I asked if the insurgents have been interrogated," Agnew cut in, barely raising her voice. "You answered truthfully that none have been. That question has been answered. Answer the next, sir. Can you tell the court how many insurgent ships have been captured for analysis of their size, weaponry, and crew compliment? That is the question before you now, Captain. You are bound to answer it. And please," she smiled a frosty little smile. "Do refrain from further disruptive outbursts."

Randal straightened in his chair, his lips a tight line. Clearly he did not expect this.

"Captain?" Agnew prompted.

"The insurgent ships were destroyed along with their crew during their engagements with the USCMC," Randal said stiffly.

"Destroyed," Agnew said heavily. Her eyebrow lifted to her hairline. "Just as the insurgents were … destroyed. Leaving no … evidence … to analyze. Captain," Agnew's brows drew together into a puzzled frown. "In the absence of vital corroborating data, how can you, much less anyone, arrive at an accurate analysis of the insurgents as you've just offered in this court today? Where is the data to support your argument? Surely, you did not simply make it all up."

"Because, Ma'am," Randal said, his tone clearly thinking Agnew an idiot. "In addition to flight recorders, we have evidence from debriefings and after-action reviews, eyewitness accounts from the troops that engaged and destroyed the insurgents."

"How can you assert that such debriefings and eyewitness accounts from our Marines in battle is valid data for your analysis and therefore no interrogations or captured ships are necessary for verification, despite?"

"We have to trust the troops that were there in battle, Ma'am. They are our first and usually best source for intel".

"So you trust the word of our troops, then? The defendant will be pleased to know that. Tell me," Agnew said, that eyebrow of hers rising again. "How much combat have you personally experienced, sir?"

"None."

"Yet you feel qualified to testify against combat troops in court. Thank you for your service." Agnew's tone was polite but no one could miss her parting shot. "No further questions."
Current Gear
Light Armor
M41A Rifle + 2 clips
VP70 Pistol + 2 clips
Knife
8 grenades
Entrenching Tool
Image Image

"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Corporal Hicks
Major

Post by Corporal Hicks » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:51 pm

Commander Soles watched coolly as Captain Agnew ripped into Captain Randal. Clearly both lawyers were qualified and experienced. "Major Richmond, unless you have something else... Captain Randal, you are released from the stand. Thank you for your service. If your testimony is further required you will be recalled to this court. You may step down," she said methodically. "Major, you may continue with your next order of business."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eric Roberts sat listening in the improvised court room. When the prosecuting attorney spoke he furrowed his brow bitterly. He had seen the size of the enemy ship with his own eyes. But as the blonde Captain spoke he relaxed a little. He wasn't a big fan of lawyers, but what she did was impressive, and he was certainly grateful that she was helping Quinn.

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:55 pm

Richmond considered making an objection, but military courts weren’t the same as public or corporate courts. They were rather brutal and could end with everyone who was brought to the chair being torn to pieces. And while the Captain was given his witness a hard time, it did more to discredit him, then the data presented.

“The USCMC would now call the Synthetic 344-P “Pope” to the stand.” Richmond said.

This maneuver was not irregular in such cases, as synthetics were virtually incapable of lying, especially to a superior. They were essentially walking cameras, and logged all events that happened before them. And just as requested, the Artificial Person was brought in and took the witness stand.

“Pope, could you state your relationship with the defendant?” Richmond asked.

In an unfettered monotone Pope spoke “I am the Synthetic attaché to the Lieutenants platoon.”

“And when were you first brought under his command?” Richmond asked

“December 7th of last year, though I was operating under his command a day earlier.” Pope replied

“Could you describe the events that led up to that designation.” Richmond asked.

“On December 6 we were attached to the garrison at Gateway Station, during which a containment of hazardous material was breached, leading to severe damage to the station and it’s personnel. Official details beyond that are classified. I was assigned to transport straggler marines that were assisting with evacuations to an exit point, where I came across then Sgt Quinn who was in command of the platoon due to the death of their officer.” Pope responded

“And how did the Lieutenant come to be KIA?” Richmond requested.

“Close exposure to the hazardous element, which left her body terribly burned.” Pope responded.

“Were there other’s who showed the same wounds?” Richmond asked

“Yes, several others of the platoon showed signs of severe burns.” Pope responded.

“In your experience, has Quinn shown a history of dislike for his superiors.” Richmond asked.

“Could you clarify the question?” Pope asked.

“Has the Lieutenant had an evident history of distaste for orders from superiors, or bad calls being made from officers of a higher rank.” Richmond clarified.

“Not in my experience.” Pope replied.

“Had you seen his interaction with their previous Lieutenant prior to your being placed with him?” Richmond asked

“No, sir. She was dead before I met him.” Pope pointed out.

“I see, so you don’t have a great deal of knowledge when it comes to the lieutenant and his interactions with superiors.” Richmond pointed out.

“No, sir.” Pope replied.

“I just find it interesting that the reports of the incident show signs of treatment for all of the enlisted men, but none for the Lieutenant during the Containment Breach on Gateway. That the others were walking wounded, but the Lieutenant is the only marine of the platoon to die. He was the medical attaché to the platoon.” Richmond paused. “But I suppose that’s beside the point.”

Richmond moved back before the stand and stood even with Pope.

“Were you present for the incident in Norway, which was just prior to Quinn’s promotion?” Richmond asked

“I was.” Pope replied.

“Now the details of that are open for the record here. A Lieutenant of the USCM was in the midst of defection, an effort which was thwarted. But I’m interested in the moments prior to that.” Richmond continued. “How close were you to the action?”

“I was on the dropship the entire time, sir.” Pope answered

“But you were listening in on the com chatter during that, and I’m sure you had no trouble discerning every detail as you are built for such a task.” Richmond noted one of the Synthetics duties.

“Yes, sir.” Pope replied.

“And I’m assuming you have an accurate record of what occurred there, given the orders, locators, ordinance fire, and talk over the com. Likely a fully mapped model of the events as they occurred, correct?” Richmond asked, almost rhetorically.

“Yes, sir.” Pope answered.

“So when the order to cover a hallway inside of a USCM military facility was called, a non hostile area, was there any hesitation on Quinn’s part to administer the order?” Richmond continued

“No, sir.” Pope replied.

“And was there any attempt to reign in on the chaos when one of the men under his command opened fire with an M56 Smartgun on the President and his security detail?” Richmond asked, already knowing the answer.

“Not immediately, no.” Pope answered

“So when Quinn gave the order to fire on a Dropship, that he knew his immediate superior had boarded, did he have any due cause other then the fact that he was leaving without them?” Richmond asked.

“There were suspicious circumstances…” Pope was cut off by Richmond.

“Suspicious circumstances which had been long since occurring, which had already led to the platoon being a party to a very serious insurrection attempt, as well as what could be considered the attempted manslaughter of the President and his detail. All of which, mind you, occurred without orders to do so. Simply Quinn’s assessment suggesting they needed to bring down a Cheyenne Dropship carrying his superior, regardless of any real evidence that it was the right thing to do. Is that correct?” Richmond spoke in one constant, harsh stream.

“… That is correct.” Pope acknowledged.

“Thank you, no further questions.” Richmond concluded and moved back to his seat.
- DEVIL DAWG
Image Image Image Image

Corporal Hicks
Major

Post by Corporal Hicks » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:16 pm

Commander Soles watched the proceedings. She was trying to find any way to believe Major Richmond's argument, because of the pressure on her from above. "Captain, your witness," she said loudly.

<Tag Agnew>

taimdala
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by taimdala » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:04 pm

((OCC: Here we go. Thank you, everyone, for your patience.))

Agnew rose from her chair and spoke to the synthetic, Pope, waiting patiently on the stand.

"Mr. Pope," she said, her bearing ramrod straight but her tone polite as ever. "I understand that though you were not present for Lieutenant Ericson's death on Gateway, you have access to what autopsy reports are available on her remains?"

"Yes," Pope said. Like Agnew, his posture was straight and his expression open and forthcoming. After all, synthetics cannot lie.

"In reference to the burns on the victim, does the autopsy find they are the cause of death?"

"No."

"Without violating the classified nature of the mission, can you verify that though the burns were not the cause of death, can you state if death occurred before or after the burns were inflicted?"

"I can state that the burns were post-mortem, but inflicted very soon after death."

"So it would not behoove Lieutenant Quinn to administer aid to someone already dead when there were still living Marines in need of it? Is it normal procedure to spend valuable medical aid on a corpse in that situation?"

"No, it is not."

"Thank you. Next question. As to the operation in Norway, I understand that though you were aboard the APC for the duration you were nevertheless able to monitor everything that transpired inside the base via the various communications channels, including the tac-net Lieutenant. Quinn's unit wore. Is that correct?"

"Yes."

"And given your capabilities to record such channels and derive information from them, can you tell us how much time transpired between disembarking the APC to being met by the on-site Lieutenant?"

"Five minutes."

"No wasted time. And you were able to record what the on-site Lieutenant said when Quinn reported for briefing?"

"Yes."

"Could you replay it for us, please?"

"Certainly," Pope answered. When he next opened his mouth, the recording issued forth, complete with ambient noise from the environment as well as the slight hiss from the channel itself.

''Line up, Marines!''

(A man's voice gives the order. There is noise of boots on the deck, the scuffle as a number of people move about with various clinks and clanks of equipment. A cough. The man's voice continues.)

"Ok, good enough. At ease, Marines."

(There is a rustle and a pause, then the Lieutenant speaks.)

"As you are all aware things have gone FUBAR the last couple of days and weeks. Gateway, as we speak, is still in freefall and the US space forces are struggling to keep it at bay. The station is—."

The recording stopped and Pope continued in his own voice. "Information about the station's condition and the on-ground condition is redacted due to Classified status." His voice changed back to the recording.

"But that's not why you are here. You were the closest unit that was deemed battle hardened enough. Things are at a strictly need to know basis at this moment. But I need you to be fully kitted up and be ready for immediate VIP extraction. I also want you to tie these to your left and right upper arms."

(Footsteps and more rustling, presumably the implied objects are being distributed.)

"For now I will let you into the mess hall around the corner, it is abandoned. Stay there and keep a low profile for now. I will contact you on 155ghz. There is some chow stowed in the storage there. If something happens it will happen within two hours."

(Footsteps and then a groan and squeal as if something metal is moving.)

"Thank you, Pope. You may stop." Agnew raised her hand in a staying gesture. During Pope's replay, she'd retrieved a thick sheaf of paper and tapped it as she continued. "My transcript tells me that the Lieutenant said nothing more and that the unit moved into the mess area as ordered. When was the next communication from the on-site Lieutenant, either by comms or in person?"

"One hour, nineteen minutes, and fifty-five seconds later."

"There were no other communications nor anything like a briefing on the VIP extraction from the Lieutenant during this time? Did the defendant, Lieutenant Sixtus Quinn, receive any more information inside that hour-nineteen minutes?"

"No, there were none and no, he did not."

"Can you replay what occurred next? Could you state over which channel?"

"Yes. It was on the 155 ghz channel specified by the on-site Lieutenant." Pope opened his mouth and that odd effect of speaking without lip movement, complete with sound effects, poured out.

(Crackling static, then …)

"Marines! It's going down! Get ready to recieve the package through the kitchen! Package plus five arriving in two minutes. Set up a perimeter! Now!"

(The Lieutenants voice is raspy. Distant, muffled burst of gunfire is heard as he speaks, a split second delayed it reverberated through the headsets of the marines as background noise.)

"Thank you, Mr. Pope." Again Agnew gestured a stop and Pope shut his mouth, looking expectantly for the next question. Agnew continued, looking over the transcript in her hand. "When was the next time the on-site Lieutenant spoke to the defendant? Could you replay that please?"

Agnew looked up and again Pope complied.

(Silence, obviously ambient air in the mess hall, for a few seconds until the gunfire was re-newed, this time much closer. Footsteps running then skidding. Then …)

"Marines! Form a perimeter behind us, we need to leave with this!"

(More running, a slight jingling, then several more footsteps rushing in accompanied by a long burst of gunfire that seemed to echo into a distant space, answered by returning pistol fire which was immediately followed by a metallic percussive sound.)

"Stop," Agnew said, finger raised. "I would like to clarify that the 'This' the on-site Lieutenant is referencing is a briefcase. The sound file transcript does not explicitly say but I have several of the Marines' eyewitness accounts that the Lieutenant entered the room with a briefcase handcuffed to his wrist. Accounts also say he was completely soaked with sweat dripping from his face. He was followed by three marines wearing yellow armbands, shooting back the way they came. Were there any further orders issued by the on-site Lieutenant or any further communications from him from this point forward?"

"Just one," Pope said.

"And that was …?" Agnew prompted.

"Move, move, move!" The Lieutnant's voice spilled out of Pope, and then the synthetic continued in his own. "That was the last communication we received from the on-site Lieutenant."

"And that was the extent of his orders to the defendant? There was no further information or indication that the President was being extracted? No orders to secure him from danger?"

"That was the extent as far as can be verfied. And no, Ma'am, there was no further verifiable indication of the status of the President and no orders from the on-site Lieutenant to secure the President from danger."

"How odd. A VIP, possibly the President himself, is supposed to be extracted and yet not produced. One must wonder why. How time had expired between the on-site Lieutenant's warning over the channels and his rather hasty appearance?"

"Two minutes, fifty-three seconds."

"And in that time, were there any other reports or orders or otherwise any information given to Lieutenant Quinn as to the situation transpiring unseen? Any indication of the President's location or condition? Any indication of other Marine personnel at the base?"

"No, Ma'am."

"It would seem that Lieutenant Quinn was operating under a shameful lack of information and was hampered by that lack. And everyone in the court can gauge for themselves, there was no time to ask for more information or further orders before the on-site Lieutenant left the area. Not very forthcoming of him. Could you replay what Quinn's orders were after the other Lieutenant had left the scene?"

"Certainly," Pope replied. This time, Quinn's voice poured out of the synthetic's mouth. Despite the tone and the command apparent in the recording, the synthetic's expression remained bland. It was an odd disconnect between the sound and the body language, and not a little unnerving to watch.

"Dirk, keep your squad in the kitchen and hold them off for five mikes, repeat, five mikes. Fall back afterward. James, take your squad and double-time it to the hangar. Secure our evac point. Don't get the shiny blue one. Prefer air transport, but an APC will do if needs be. Do it in three mikes, now. Command team, hold the entrance to the mess."

(A shuffle, a rustle of cloth, then …)

"Stand by Lieutenant, I'm having a team scout and secure our evac. What is the status of the President?"

Agnew indicated a stop and Pope closed his mouth, shutting off the sound.

"That last was Lieutenant Quinn informing the on-site Lieutenant of his intention to provide back-up and requesting information on the President, who it was implied was on-site?"

"Yes."

"Did the Lieutenant, so ostensibly in charge of the facility and carrying the aforementioned briefcase give any response to Quinn's question about the status of the President?"

"None as far as I can discern, Ma'am."

"Not even to so clear a request for information?"

"No."

"That is rather suspicious. And that was the last of the Lieutenant while still alive on your recording, correct?"

"Yes."

"I think the record sufficiently shows that Lieutenant Quinn acted as quickly as he was able in the absence of further information to issue orders in a timely fashion so as to facilitate the evacuation of the briefcase and, one might reasonably assume, the President. And there was no indication of the President passing through the way that Lieutenant Quinn had secured as per his issued orders?"

"No, there was no indication."

"And yet, there was a report from one of Quinn's men that the on-site Lieutenant had boarded a dropship without the President and made all indications of taking off without the President, correct? Could you play what …," Agnew said, leafing through the transcript and pausing as she found what she looked for. "Master Sergeant James Screaming Eagle reported?"

(A whine issued from Pope's mouth, the sound of turbines spinning up over the whistle of winds ….)

"Quinn, you need to get out here on the double. the Lieu just jumped the bird and is getting ready to dust off."

(The sergeant was shouting to be heard over the high pitch squeal of the turbines.)

"Dirk, as soon as you guys are able, release my squad so we can check out the other bird. Something tells me we are not going to get a ride here."

"Stop," Agnew said. "What did Sergeant Dirk Pitt say in response?"

(A different man's voice, accompanied by boots ringing on the deck implying the speaker is moving.)

"Quinn, this is Pitt. First squad is falling back to the hanger."

(More sounds of movement, a fiant echo as if off hard indoor surfaces as Dirk's voice continues ...)

"We're falling back to the hanger James. What the hell is going on out there?"

"Stop," Agnew said again. "And Sergeant Screaming Eagle's response to Sergeant Pitt?"

"Dirk, the LT and his escort are in the process of leaving the Eights behind. I am trying to see if we cannot take the other bird sitting on the landing pad. If that fails we will be looking at the President's ride."

"Stop. Thank you, Mr. Pope. So here we have a clear absence of communication from the source Lieutenant Quinn relied upon for proper briefing on the situation, for a current sit rep, or even an indication that the President needed assistance or protection. Here we have evidence from at least two other witnesses at the scene that strongly suggests the on-site Lieutenant is deserting his post with sensitive information in the form of the briefcase and is ordering the defendant to facilitate said desertion. In the face of that, I believe Lieutenant Quinn made his assessment with the information in front of him and reached the only conclusion an intelligent human being and a well-trained Marine could make. Mr. Pope, would you be so kind as to play Lieutenant Quinn's response to this sit rep, please."

(Lieutenant Quinn's voice issued from Pope, filling the room.)

"James, if that ship lifts off, put a grenade against it's armor plating. Just one grenade. Giosso, plant a tracker on that craft now, on the double!! Duncan, I want you to set up and put a bullet down ONE of the intakes if that craft starts lifting off. I want it damaged, not disabled. Dirk, pull your squad back, do it by the numbers. Obi, reinforce Dirk's squad. Rest of us are headed straight for the hangar."

"Stop," Agnew said. "'Damaged'. Not disabled. Not, therefore, in a condition to endanger anyone who might be aboard, including—if possible—the President. Even in the midst of what is obviously battle, under less than informed conditions, he did not order the dropship destroyed. He ordered it damaged. He ordered a tracker to be placed on the craft so that it may be tracked and to assist in rescuing those aboard should they need it. He orders his men to fall back in an orderly manner and has them back each other's positions up against hostile fire. Those who are free to do so, he orders to head for the hangar. This hardly seems the action of a loose cannon, of someone with egregious disregard for the safety and lives of the men under his command or those he has been assigned to protect."

Agnew's eyebrow rose and her voice was ever-so-slightly arch as she looked Richmond's way. "Not at all guilty as charged. The comms record makes that evident." She turned back to the witness stand and her expression thawed to something decidedly less sharp. "Thank you, Mr. Pope. Your testimony has been most helpful. No further questions."

<TAG: Everyone>

((OOC: I will be AFK for the next few hours but will be back around 2300 hrs to post as needed. Friday night with family calls ...))
Current Gear
Light Armor
M41A Rifle + 2 clips
VP70 Pistol + 2 clips
Knife
8 grenades
Entrenching Tool
Image Image

Return to “Operation Eagle Strike”