Turn 7: Vengeance

The sixth mission. The marines are faced with a new horror that affects the mind and body.
Corporal Hicks
Major

Turn 7: Vengeance

Post by Corporal Hicks » Thu May 26, 2016 3:13 am

The Easy Eights had the direction they needed. The people responsible for this disaster were only a small flight away. Lieutenant Gruber repeatedly hailed the cruiser until a Captain answered to say that they couldn't risk contaminating the rest of the ship by coming back, and that was probably the right decision. But it left the Eights with only one option, try to find a cure on their own. If it existed anywhere, it was on the secret base that was watching them remotely.

As far as they could tell, the station they were now on was a graveyard, but Maria Gruber insisted they anticipate enemy targets and move carefully. No attack came, and they were able to return to the hangar unmolested. There, Pope gave them all a blood test. After fifteen minutes of swift work, he told them that the disease had infected them all, but it seemed to have stabilized for the present.

Roberts was half-unconscious, but he managed to reach out and grab Samantha Hall's hand. "Sorry, ma'am," he rasped, referencing his perceived failure to have their backs.

Sergeant Forney had escaped without serious injury, but Private Leon Mercy had temporarily lost the use of his arm. LT Gruber ordered him to stay behind on the dropship and Colson knocked him out with morphine. "Private McKenna," she spoke sharply, "You're in first squad now. Corporal Hall is your Squad-leader. Take Roberts' smart-gun if you know how to use it."

Sergeant Abdulov drove the APC onto the Cheyenne Dropship. After a quick prep, the pilots took off and left the cold, dead facility behind. "90 minutes to target, Ma'am," came the voice of one of the pilots.

Lieutenant Gruber spoke in a flurry of anxious energy. "Alright Easy Eights, be ready to rock and roll! You have 90 minutes. I want one man in each squad to carry a flame unit. Sergeant Forney, you are acting Squadleader for third squad. Master Sergeant Abdulov is acting Platoon Sergeant. We're all one platoon now. As soon as we hit the ground, we are splitting up into three groups. If there's any greeting party waiting for us, we'll hit 'em with the dropship guns or the APC. We're gonna take this base by shock and speed. Don't shoot any unarmed personnel. We may need them to find a cure." She gave Lance Corporal Morse a piercing look.
ImageSgtMaj. Danny Sykes - Platoon NCO
USCM Special Forces Recon Team
Serial Number: D26/TQ6.3.48412E9
Image Image Image Image Image Image

pants
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Re: Turn 7: Vengeance

Post by pants » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:32 am

Trying to get his head around what had happened was proving tricky for Terence. Shooting those creatures gave him a sick feeling in his stomach. Those creatures used to be marines, sure they were deformed monsters and trying their best to kill and eat him and the rest of the platoon but they were still marines.

"Hey Morse, did we do the right thing back there? Those...things, used to be marines. I feel like I'm going to be sick!" said Terence as he threw up onto the floor.

<Tag Morse, Second Squad>
Zoe Barr
Chief Petty Officer

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:24 pm

There was a look in the Lieutenants eye that suggested that she was speaking to Morse. He was the only one with an aggressive enough track record to open fire on an unarmed target. Not only that he had a verbal acknowledgement that such things had stopped bothering him. He'd told such things to the shrinks. That was probably why they were keeping him on as a Marine as it was. They were more or less just the puppets of a corrupt regime as it was. There weren't big banners flown when they came back to port. There were no grand parties or great payments handed over to them. Those days were long gone.

All that was left now were those warriors that were still listening to whatever dumb order was handed to them. And for the meantime he was still one of them. But his proclivity for taking them to the letter was ever increasing. And the order was to not shoot any unarmed civilians. Those monsters weren't included in a bracket of civilian, and any colonist stupid enough to act hostile to him immediately would get pegged in his mind as being an enemy combatant.

Morse just clicked his tongue and looked away at the order. "The thing that took my leg wasn't armed neither." Morse muttered to himself. Though it was a land mine that did it, it was not only soldiers that knew to how to arm such things. And given the incidents he'd seen in the past he was more then cautious about anyone that was still in a hot zone.

He looked over at Terrance, who was seeming to have some difficulty dealing with what was happening. Morse remembered his first incursions, but his time of reflecting on actions in the field were gone. "Course we did." Morse answered as though he had read the fact from an encyclopedia. "Monster fuck comes up tryin' to kill you, you drop it in the dirt." Morse continued. "Aint two ways about it. I seen monsters what came outa people, I seen monsters what is people, and there's only one fix for that shit." Morse flicked the the barrel of his M56 Smart Gun. "A quick kill n' a swift advance." He paraphrased a quote from the handbook, changing it to fit his liking and views.

< Tag Anyone
Image-SSG Allen Morse - Squad Leader
-3rd Bn, 2nd Reg, 1st Co, 8th Plt
- DEVIL DAWG
- M41A Pulse Rifle - M4 Pistol - Med Kit
Image Image Image Image

Whisky
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Whisky » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:54 am

Stowing his medical gear Colston swung his lightweight SMG back round. Checking his ammo he listened to the exchange between his squad mates. "There's always the option of lying down and giving up, although that's only advisable if you want Dirk's boot up your arse first." He told Terrence, finishing his ammo check he continued, "Myself? Well, if anything comes swinging at me I'm not going to waste time thinking about it." He punctuated the final statement with the chambering of a round. Truth be told he still thought a lot like Terence, just a handful of missions taught him that acting on that was like asking death for a kiss.

Seeing the marine puke, he slipped him a wipe from his kit and quietly said "Stand straight marine, stiff upper lip and all that." Moving away he fell into position and made ready to move out.

<Tag Second Squad
Pvt. Thomas Colson
2nd Squad - Medic

pants
Chief Warrant Officer 5

Post by pants » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:06 am

Morse wrote: He looked over at Terrance, who was seeming to have some difficulty dealing with what was happening. Morse remembered his first incursions, but his time of reflecting on actions in the field were gone. "Course we did." Morse answered as though he had read the fact from an encyclopedia. "Monster fuck comes up tryin' to kill you, you drop it in the dirt." Morse continued. "Aint two ways about it. I seen monsters what came outa people, I seen monsters what is people, and there's only one fix for that shit." Morse flicked the the barrel of his M56 Smart Gun. "A quick kill n' a swift advance."
Wiping the mess from his mouth with the back of his sleeve, Terence spat out the bad taste in his mouth.

"Right man. Frag me! Promise me if I turn into one of those things you'll put a bullet in my head Morse," responded Terence, "I know if you give me you'll word you'll do it. Not like Colston. He'll try to save me and I'll end up eating him, and I like Colston!"
Whisky wrote: "There's always the option of lying down and giving up, although that's only advisable if you want Dirk's boot up your arse first." He told Terrence, finishing his ammo check he continued, "Myself? Well, if anything comes swinging at me I'm not going to waste time thinking about it." He punctuated the final statement with the chambering of a round. Truth be told he still thought a lot like Terence, just a handful of missions taught him that acting on that was like asking death for a kiss.

Seeing the marine puke, he slipped him a wipe from his kit and quietly said "Stand straight marine, stiff upper lip and all that." Moving away he fell into position and made ready to move out.
After cleaning his face with the offered wipe Terence dropped it on the floor and got ready to move.

"Roger that," replied Terence, his normal cockiness subdued by the reality of combat.

<Tag Anyone>

Quicksilver
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Quicksilver » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:13 pm

Mark sat perched on one side of the dropship, reading his ebook intently. It was an escape. A way to, just for a moment, live in a world where good and evil were relatively clear cut and heroes succeeded after brief, dramatic struggles. He flipped the page with a well practiced tap of his thumb. Though one would really have to push to get him to admit it, the book was also his lucky charm. It was the only personal item to survive the Snakefighter, it had been in his pocket when the xeno of gateway station had missed by just enough to save his life. He hit the end of a chapter. With a light sigh, he thumbed the device off and slid it into a safe pocket on the inside of his shirt.
Pvt. Mark Giosso
3rd Bn, 2nd Reg, 1st Co, 8th Plt
Security Systems Master
Communications / Computer and Motion Tracker Operation Expert
Surveillance Equipment Operation Professional

Medic Guy
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Medic Guy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:43 pm

"Ma'am I'm not rated for combat shooting with a smart gun only ever test fired them after making repairs out at the range," Clint replied back crisply to Lt Gruber. "I'll leave weapon choice to your discretion El-tee."

Clint McKenna thought to himself for a few minutes about how the mission had gone over so far. The rest of my entire squad turned into some kind of freak monsters and tried to kill us. I helped shoot and kill those same squad members to keep them from killing us. Now we've got 90 minutes before we attempt to assault another facility to find a cure for this disease that has all of us infected but stable. Sure glad momma ain't alive still news like this would've put her in the grave.

Clint looked to his new squad leader Samantha Hall she seems pretty level-headed and handled herself well back there. He'd noticed an accent when she had talked earlier but couldn't place where it was out of. Being from the backwoods of North Carolina didn't present a whole lot of cultural experiences that were very different from his own. "Corporal Hall, is there anything I need to know to work well with your squad ma'am?" he asked as he approached 2nd squad and awaited a reply.

tag Lt Gruber
tag 2nd squad
ImageCorporal Clint McKenna
Serial Number: L69/EA5.2.31782M9

Image Image Image

Pvt. Isabel Orozco - Rifleman; formerly of the U.S.S. Shiloh Marine Detachment, currently on public relations campaign.
Private Dave Halbert - unknown location

Corporal Hicks
Major

Post by Corporal Hicks » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:16 am

Lieutenant Gruber's flamethrower suggestion didn't bring a chorus of volunteers, so she made the choice herself. "Private Boothe, Private Colson, Lance Corporal Jarvis. You will take the flame units." She picked one up and thrust it into Colson's chest-plate. Then she responded to McKenna. "That's fine Private, just stick with your pulse rifle. We can train you up later if you make it," she winked.

"I doubt they'll set the table for us. Giosso, I'm gonna need you to open their hangar doors when we get there. That'll give 'em a surprise! Can you do it?"
ImageSgtMaj. Danny Sykes - Platoon NCO
Serial Number: D26/TQ6.3.48412E9

Quicksilver
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Quicksilver » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:44 pm

"Yes, Ma'am." Giosso replied, "Not a problem. The door doesn't stand a chance."
Pvt. Mark Giosso
3rd Bn, 2nd Reg, 1st Co, 8th Plt
Security Systems Master
Communications / Computer and Motion Tracker Operation Expert
Surveillance Equipment Operation Professional

Dirk Pitt
First Lieutenant

Post by Dirk Pitt » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:16 pm

Whisky wrote:Stowing his medical gear Colston swung his lightweight SMG back round. Checking his ammo he listened to the exchange between his squad mates. "There's always the option of lying down and giving up, although that's only advisable if you want Dirk's boot up your arse first." He told Terrence, finishing his ammo check he continued, "Myself? Well, if anything comes swinging at me I'm not going to waste time thinking about it." He punctuated the final statement with the chambering of a round. Truth be told he still thought a lot like Terence, just a handful of missions taught him that acting on that was like asking death for a kiss.

<Tag Second Squad
Dirk grinned at the comment as he checked and rechecked his M41A. "Ya, that's about right. Then again I was never smart enough to give up on much."
<Tag Colston>

Then turning to his squad. "I know what the LT said, and I want prisoners too. But, if they offer resistance, you don't think about it. You kill them. Maybe that will encourage the next one to think about his situation a bit more clearly. Remember one thing, we have no other choice here. We win, or we all die. These people we are about to hit have other options. That makes us dangerous." Dirk said, before replacing the unlit cigarette in his mouth.
<Tag Sectond>
Cpl Dirk Pitt
First squad leader

Gear
Pulse Rifle w/ 4 grenades, 8 canister shells
M1911 Colt .45 caliber Sidearm
Smoke Grenade x2
KBAR Combat Knife
Portable Welder
Ithaca Shotgun

Non Combat Equipment
Zippo lighter