Turn 1: Freezing Floors

The Fourth Devil Dawgs Campaign
Pale Rider
Major

Re: Turn 1: Freezing Floors

Post by Pale Rider » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:06 am

lordstrand wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:34 pm He lit another smoke and made his way to the chow deck, nodding to whomever he passed.
<tag anyone>
He poured himself a nice cup of hot coffee. "Ah, life's blood." He said in his all too loud voice to no one in particular. Hoping there would be "scrapple" or whatever passed for it he made his way to the food line. He spooned out some eggs and "meat" onto his plate taking special care to make sure none of it touched. After sitting he quickly downed his first cup of coffee and went for a second. After that he took his time with the second. "A banquet fit for a king." Shoveling the food into his mouth one at a time eggs, biscuit, some type of gritty concoction, then finally his favorite the meat. "So what's the briefing like here, short sweet and to the point and let us study the details or detailed oriented? Anyone know if there are holos of past missions? Trying to find out what were in for and what I can expect from who."
<tag no one inparticular>
Gaston looked around and noticed the other greenie eating by himself. He picked up his tray and plopped his tray down across from him. "Howdy, my name's Gaston. Not sure what we are looking for myself. But then again we are what we are!"
<Tag Davros>
GM

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

kitkat871
Private

Post by kitkat871 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:14 am

In comparison to the days that she'd been active whilst the marines had been in cryogenic storage, very little had changed about Frances Bishop's schedule. Of course, she'd dialled back her clock to wake up at 05:30, as opposed to the usual 06:00. The slight adjustment ensured that she could wake up the marines on time, whilst sacrificing a redundant part of her schedule. As an android, Frances didn't require sleep. In fact, she wasn't quite sure why she rested from 21:00 to 06:00 every day. She knew that it was part of her programming, serving some purpose towards her primary function and never considered stopping it during her year of active service. The time she spent staring up at the walls of the ship, or closing her eyes did give her time to try and deduce the meaning behind it. The best explanation that she could ascertain was that, when the marines woke up, it would help her to blend in with them. Having a synthetic that could emulate human behaviour was a goal that many companies had striven towards.

However, despite any means to make her appear human, Frances was still artificial. No matter how many times she styled her brunette hair after rising out of bed or saw her own blue eyes staring back at her in the mirror they belonged to a product of Hypderdyne Systems. Even her slightly attractive face was specifically selected to increase the chances of her interacting with people.

Frances witnessed as Clint struck the interior of his cryotube, rushing over to him and pushing the release. Her programming extended to examining the reactions of the people around her, for the sake of a diagnosis or uncovering any information that could be useful to the marines when dealing with a civilian population. Without delay, she began asking the usual assortment of questions that the marines were asked upon waking up.

"Name and rank?"

"Clint McKenna, Corporal"

"Serial number and rank Corporal?"

"I...I can't remember the number, my job is to try and keep everybody alive."

His answer had been far from the one Frances was expecting. She furrowed her brow briefly before repeating the question.

"Serial number and rank?"

"lincoln six nine...echo alpha five dot...two dot three one seven eight two mike nine. Squad leader of third squad"

The second answer was correct, but Frances shot over a glance to Knight to signal that something was off with the soldier.

<tag Knight>

Once the majority of the marines were out of their tubs Frances moved over to a table in the corner of the room. She picked up a tray of polystyrene cups, each filled with a special drink known as Hydration. Frances hadn't been supplied with its exact composition, but knew that it would help ease any affects of cryo sleep.

"Does anyone need a drink?" She asked, raising the tray.

<tag everyone>

lordstrand
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lordstrand » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:33 pm

Gaston looked around and noticed the other greenie eating by himself. He picked up his tray and plopped his tray down across from him. "Howdy, my name's Gaston. Not sure what we are looking for myself. But then again we are what we are!"
"
"Hey Gaston. Yeah your right. Hoping they have some tapes on what the last mission was like so I can make sure my medic bags all set for whatever we encounter." Davros replied in a much slower more conversational tone then he seem capable of doing.
"I always like to be prepared for whatever I can be. Must have been some kind of a scout in a past life or something."
"Seems to be a lot of different personalities on this tug. So what do you do here? Put lots of holes in things? I put your ass back together with duck tape and glue. Don't worry it's really good glue."
<tag Gaston>
"With the NDA they made us sign I would imagine there's something crazy out here waiting for us. Just a little excited to see what's up." "Scuse me for a sec gonna grab more coffee, might not get much once we touch down and I like to make sure I'm well caffeinated. Keeps me sharp.
Davros walked over and grabbed another cup of coffee. Counting in his head the number of steps from the table to the coffee machine and back, just an odd habit he had, helped him keep the layout of the room sharply in his head. He use to be able to wander around his house in the dark when he was a kid in high school, scared the shit out of his parents whenever they popped the light on in a room he was walking through. He sat back down next to Gaston, making small talk about back home, families and such.

Davros reminded himself half way through its polite to ask the other person about themselves.

So what's it like where your from? Family waiting at home for you? Some kind of cutie? Brothers? Sisters? um...Others? Glancing at the droids in the room.

"Smoke?"Offering one from his pack. I tend to have a few of these before we go on mission, none when were out there. Wouldn't do to be short of breath when were running, or get ashes or whatever when I'm gluing those parts back on."
<tag Gaston>
Image LCpl. Strand Davros - Medic
USCM Special Forces Recon Team
Serial Number: S35/TQ9.4.48100E2

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:51 pm

As Morse drank less the cryosickness got better. As much as cryo was slowing down his aging, the missions were making up for the lost time. The trade off was leaving his body as a mess, and it was doing things to his mind that were going a bit beyond the normal wear and tear. Morse at home people were getting older, and he was having trouble coping. But likewise nothing out of the mundane and ordinary happened in their lives that helped them along in decrepitude. Morse had bullet scars, burns, and was missing a leg as a proof to his life was anything but ordinary. And while at home, Morse had found himself drifting to old habits.

Morse was drinking again. Not as much as in his youth, his body wasn't handling it well. But less was going a longer way then he liked to admit, and he was not feeling so good.

Anyone that knew him who had been on missions with him in that part of thepast... Sam... Sykes... Paulson... would recognize the tell tale sweat and pale face he displayed in that moment... he'd been drinking before cryo.

Was he cracking under the pressure of leading marines? No more then usual. Was he breaking under the futility of the endless mission to save the galaxy from itself? It certainly had sapped everything he'd initially joined for. Was it the site of the dead and the dying and the knowledge he could be next tearing down his faculties? Dead was dead, and living was living. Those had not changed.

Morse may have been a changed man from the young southren that enlisted years earlier, but he had been the way he was for years, and taking or leaving one bad habit didn't change that much.

The droid came around. Morse heard him speak but it came in a hazy low volume murmur to him, but he understood the questions. But his stomach boiled, and his eyes were sunken. The droid would understand the cause of this feeling, but perhaps would not entirely compute Morse's reasonings... and despite having enough time to feel better about serving with synthetic persons and getting passed his own biases... some of it never went away.

"Morse. Staff Sergeant" Answered the first question, feeling a bubble form in his stomach.

The next question was asked.

Morse pointed at the console next to his cryotube that had the same data. The droid persisted, but Morse had the bubble find its way to an exit. The burp that came was despicable and filled with acid.

"buhhh, fuck off robot. Morse replied after a horrific tasting belch."I gotta piss." Morse stumbled to the latrine and relieved himself. He felt better... but not great. He'd finish the questioning after.

Morse made his way over to the other heads and breathed through his nose to get back in control. Morse recognized the new responsibility handed to the newer ranks given they were reinforced. Not a bad thing, but Morse was having a difficult start to his day... and his mood always showed it.

"Ya, welcome to the top a the shit show." Morse said with a half smile, the haze leaving his head.

<Tag Sam, Sykes, and Sakalova

When the food was brought up Morse dined on a usual stew he always made. A mixture of oat paste, bread, eggs, and other things that soaked up what was in his stomach. Years of experience had taught him that while it looked terrible to the average person, it did wonders for making him feel better. He did remain with the other NCOs, knowing better then to over interact with the subordinates when he was in the state he was in. But he was near enough to Henniger to ask him a serious question.

"They fill your leg with bio bits or robot parts?" Morse suspected it was robot parts like his own. They were the cheapest and easiest to install... and likely came with a thousand side effects.

<Tag Henniger.
Image-SSG Allen Morse - Squad Leader
-3rd Bn, 2nd Reg, 1st Co, 8th Plt
- DEVIL DAWG
- M41A Pulse Rifle - M4 Pistol - Med Kit
Image Image Image Image

LT_Chun
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by LT_Chun » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:54 pm

Henniger smiled.

"Cheap chromium plate on the tibia and my own skin for grafts over the rest Staff Sergeant."

<tag Morse>

He wanted to say more, that he was glad he hadn't gotten any acid on him just good old fashioned terrorist bullets. But he kept it back. He didn't know what the replacements and augmentations had been told. They'd probably find out on their own soon enough but why spoil breakfast. Even more than Weyland already had anyway.
ImageLCPL. J. Henniger USCM
A11/TQ2.0.22146E1
U.S.S. Chimera
Recon Rifleman, Comtech electronics secondary
3rd FTL, Call Sign Devil Dawgs.

Armor and webbing
M41A Pulse Rifle + 7 mags
M40 Grenades x 10
Hand Welder
Service Pistol + 2 Mags
Mk. 1 Combat Knife
Rations/Water
Com-Tech Bypass Device

wargamer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by wargamer » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:31 pm

Kelly walked into the mess hall and made his way straight to the coffee machine.
Grabbing the largest mug he could locate from the mass of battered white ceramics on the cheap formica worktop, he turned to the drinks dispenser and punched up coffee, black, double sweet. The machine gurgled it's way through a cycle and tar-black liquid trickled from the dispenser nozzle into Kelly's mug until it was filled to a quarter-inch from the brim.

Kelly lifted the mug to his nose and inhaled the fragrant steam rising from the surface of the liquid. Even way out into the depths of space, there was nothing quite like the first coffee of the day. He took a sip, feeling his body invigorated as the caffeine flooded his veins, and proceeded to the chow-line.

1 plate loaded with eggs, bacon and hash-browns later Kelly was looking for a likely place to sit and consume his breakfast. A quick look around the room showed a number of empty seats at tables where small groups of marines who obviously already knew each other were getting reacquainted after a long spell in hypersleep. Finally, over in the corner, Kelly spied a couple of the other new guys from the introductory session and made his way over to them, sitting and taking a swallow of coffee before speaking.

"Hey guys, we met at the meet 'n' greet. I'm Kelly but you can call me Darren or Doc if you like." Kelly paused for a bite of his eggs "So, any idea what we're doing out here?"

<Tag Gaston & Davros>
ImagePFC Darren 'Doc' Kelly - Medic
Serial Number: D44/TQ9.21.47645E2
Current Equipment
M-41A Pulse Rifle w/ 4 Mags
M4A3 Pistol w/ 2 Mags
K-52 Field Medical Pack
2x M-18 Smoke Grenades (Red)
6x M-94 Flares
2x K-Bar Combat/Survival Knives

lordstrand
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lordstrand » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:29 am

"Heeey, What's up Doc?" Waving his smoke like it was a carrot and doing his best bugs bunny impression. Davros put his unlit smoke back in the pack, some people didn't like it if smoked while they ate.
"Not sure Doc, but since we had to sign a NDA I'm sure it's not going to be pretty."
He lowered his voice and leaned in a little"Some of these guys look a little worse for wear. Gonna pack some extra Duck Tape." He winked.
"Your a Corpsman right "Doc"?" After the briefing wanna get the rest of the Band-aid Brigade together and go over some of the holo's and go through the med supplies were gonna need. I like to check to make sure everything is handy and in the right place." That's just his excuse to cover his mild OCD. I like to be fast because I'm efficient, if I know where it is I can grab it without looking and don't need any extra movements, they take too long. I tend to double, sometimes tripple check the bags."
<tag DOC>
Davros got up and made his way to the coffee machine for the third cup. He made note of how many tables in the room and how many chairs at each, he couldn't help it, part of his compulsions. Thankfully he's managed to channel them into less obvious things. He sat back down with Doc, he'd remember that because of the rabbit, and the other guy....what was his name again, they always escaped him. He'd remember his face forever but his name, Christ what was it again.... Garren? Grizzly? Grittle?...... it was definitely a G word.....

"Grover and I were just wondering the same thing Doc." <tag Gaston and Doc>
Image LCpl. Strand Davros - Medic
Serial Number: S35/TQ9.4.48100E2

Christopher0722
Private

Post by Christopher0722 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:31 pm

It was always the blackness, the dreamless state of suspended animation that messed with Thor. Before opening his eyes, he began to become self aware again, the whirring of machinery, his mind being able to think once more, slowly he opened his eyes as the hatch to his cryotube opened. The smell of recycled air hit his nose and impulsively he sat up, opened the small vomit bag he had been clutching since being "put to sleep" and began vomiting into the bag. It was always the same, ever since boot camp, this unnatural sleep unsettled his nerves when he awoke. The DIs had mocked him, but he had refused to quit. They had attempted to medically kick him out of the Corps but his prowess in other areas made them overlook this 'Failure to adapt to hypersleep' diagnosis.

Thor arose from his cryotube, the sensation of pins and needles as his bare feet touched the cold metallic floor. In one hand was the vomit bag, the other was quickly wiping away the remnants away from the corner of his mouth. He looked around at the others, he had barely gotten a chance to meet any of them before the journey began, his mind kept repeating the words 'F-N-G' but he was going to show them his prowess with weapons and why he was selected to be a member of such an elite group.

Just then...

“Name and rank?”
”Private Thor McMagnus, sir,” he responded. Thor was a large marine with a 6'3 235lbs frame. He looked extremely physically fit, it was evident there was little bodyfat under his marine issue t-shirt. Thor appeared somewhat gruff with glaring muscles and little body fat. Thor is clean shaven, with a high n tight fade. On the left side of his head, he has a long scar. He wears a tiger claw on a silver chain around his neck.
”Serial number?”
”Tango Three four slash Mike Charlie seven dot seven dot niner...I unmm, forgot the rest."
”MOS?”
”Smart gunner” Thor stated matter of factly. Finally, something he had no problem remembering. Thor looked down at the tiger claw medallion hanging from his neck and before he looked up, he heard, "You're late for breakfast!"

GungHo Gun
Private

Post by GungHo Gun » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:43 pm

"Name?"
"Johann Funker."
"Rank?"
"Private First Class."
"Serial number?"
"Five, echo, six, one, zulu, tango, three, eight, one."
Indifferent. Whatever synthetics I had interacted with prior to this moment, they all evoked a sense of somewhat stifled care, attention, amicability. This one, however, simply rattled off the words. One part of me felt refreshed at the genuine coldness, but compared with its tone in front of the other personnel, I felt I was the odd one in the room.
And the floor was ice, no better than the synthetic. My feet sorely wished for a warmer surface, but reason overwhelmed my discomfort. A soldier does not complain about temperature. In any case, there was no use in saying anything while my lungs gradually receded out of gasping for air. Still acclimating to cryogenic stasis. Such warm dreams during the journey, it seemed a thousand years had passed.
Whatever the environment now, no time to waste in thinking. I must follow the example of my more experienced comrades. "Comrades"...and my memory still faltered at recalling their names...
ImagePFC. Johann Funker - ComTech

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:08 am

Morse was not surprised at the description of the repairs that were put into Henniger. Morse had a similar set of treatments that were set in by the lowest bidder. The most of his had been about as good as anyone would expect. The hardest to wrap his mind around was the robotic leg that he had. It was in a word, functional. Otherwise it did not have feeling or anything the resembling what he had once had in its place.

"Normal tricks there." Morse replied to Henniger. "Rusty metal for the hard parts, recycled bits of you for the rest." Morse put a chunk of the stew he made in his mouth. "Make sure you keep your armor strapped tight n' you'll avoid losin' more."

That was not exactly true, especially in Morse's experience, but it was better then opting for the 'light n' fast' idea that generally had just ended badly in Morse's experience.

<Tag Henniger
Image-SSG Allen Morse - Squad Leader
-3rd Bn, 2nd Reg, 1st Co, 8th Plt
- DEVIL DAWG
- M41A Pulse Rifle - M4 Pistol - Med Kit
Image Image Image Image

LT_Chun
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by LT_Chun » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:58 am

Henniger nodded and smiled. He had caught shrapnel during a colony evac back before his assignment to the Dawgs and the previous op with them that had changed everything,
not just the bullets that had trashed his lower leg. His leg throbbed occasionally still but Motrin was your best friend. Black Ace and morphine were easy to get a hold of in the grunts, but he was doing better than he'd expected after boarding that last Cheyenne on Gaia Station.

"You can count on that Staff Sergeant. How is your neck? That..." He lowered his voice to a mere whisper while keeping his bearing nonchalant. "Last fight before the final evac. Your neck ok?"

<tag Morse>

He pushed his tray away and looked across at Paulson.

"Hey I noticed the feed ramp on my M41 was sticky last op, you care to take a whack at it? I'd rather not bother the armorer."

<tag Paulson>
ImageLCPL. J. Henniger USCM
A11/TQ2.0.22146E1
U.S.S. Chimera
Recon Rifleman, Comtech electronics secondary
3rd FTL, Call Sign Devil Dawgs.

Armor and webbing
M41A Pulse Rifle + 7 mags
M40 Grenades x 10
Hand Welder
Service Pistol + 2 Mags
Mk. 1 Combat Knife
Rations/Water
Com-Tech Bypass Device

Joel
Private

Post by Joel » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:34 pm

Bobby heard the faint sound of sirens in the distance. "What is this place?" He thought to himself as he laid there in his cryotube, trying to remember how he got there. The sirens got louder and closer by the second. "Why the hell is that light so bright!?" At this point the sound of the sirens were almost deafening. Bobby's eyes finally began to focas on the machine in front of him, displaying his vitals. "Looks like I'm a little late to the party.." after some time, Bobby made it on his feet and started heading towards the noise of some familiar laughing .
ImagePFC. Bobby Mills - Medic
Serial Number: J55/TQ1.3.81050E2
Image Image Image

eyeball
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by eyeball » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:32 am

Paulson heard the request and was a little surprised by the notion, "sure i CAN" he said not sounding at all keen or confident "but i'm only certified on sentry gun repairs so wouldn't count on it making an improvement and the last thing we need is the machine guns screwing up. all weapons get serviced while we're asleep, go let rip a couple of thousand rounds see if its still doing it, i'll come with, i need to brush up with a pulse rifle again." Paulson said to Henniger
<tag Henniger>
"this food still tastes off any way, so i'm good whenever you would like mate" Paulson continued. he pushed his food round his plate one more time as if making up his mind then lay his cutlery down. His coffee got finished in one big swig and he pushed himself out a bit from the table picked up his plate and mug and went to bus it at a cleaning station.
ImageLCpl. Robert Paulson
incinerator, 2 spare fuel bottles, motion detector, first aid kit, pistol, knife, 2 frag.
special weapons tech
Image Image

wargamer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by wargamer » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:15 pm

lordstrand wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:29 am "Your a Corpsman right "Doc"?" After the briefing wanna get the rest of the Band-aid Brigade together and go over some of the holo's and go through the med supplies were gonna need. I like to check to make sure everything is handy and in the right place. I like to be fast because I'm efficient, if I know where it is I can grab it without looking and don't need any extra movements, they take too long. I tend to double, sometimes triple check the bags."
Kelly took another swallow of coffee and nodded to the other medic.

"I think that's a good idea. It'll be good to get everyone on the same page before we hit the dirt. I haven't seen the stores for this ship but I assume we can requisition any extra supplies we think we'll need based on the briefing."

<tag Davros>

Kelly looked over at the other new guy. His flash said 'Gaston', so why had the other medic called him Grover? a mystery for another time.

"I take it you're one of my future patients?" Kelly offered a hand in greeting.

<tag Gaston>
ImagePFC Darren 'Doc' Kelly - Medic
Serial Number: D44/TQ9.21.47645E2
Current Equipment
M-41A Pulse Rifle w/ 4 Mags
M4A3 Pistol w/ 2 Mags
K-52 Field Medical Pack
2x M-18 Smoke Grenades (Red)
6x M-94 Flares
2x K-Bar Combat/Survival Knives

JuanPerez
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by JuanPerez » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:52 pm

<November 30, 2189, 7:00 am (board time)

USS Chimera
Crusader-Class Super-Stealth Long-Range Assault Troop Transport

Currently on approach to Polaris System
ETA 35 hours>

Suddenly a short but intense accustic signal was heared throughout the ship, indicating a shipwide broadcast ...

"Attention Marines, this is your CO. Assembly and briefing at 0800 a.m. board time. Port-side Briefing room is next to the bridge. Harper out."
<tag everyone>
Game Master
————————————
Image 1st Lt Daniela Harper - Platoon CO
Serial Number A08/TQ3.0.45013E2
Image Image Image

M10 Pattern Balistic Helmet
M3 Pattern Personal Armor
M41A Pulse Rifle (6 Mags, 20 Grenades)
Service Pistol (2 Mags)