M1T5 - Descent to darkness

The 8th campaign
Nick
Administrator
Administrator

M1T5 - Descent to darkness

Post by Nick » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:57 am

2179 AD, 1st November

The mini-subs were lifted up by a traverse system in the roof. The clearance was not much more than a few inches and the feet of the diving suits almost scraped the floor. The two subs neared a large hatch on the floor. Lt Moore sat inside one of the subs together with a submarine pilot - The other was piloted by two other UA Navy personell.

The hatch opened slowly, a yellow warning light started to spin as the large hatch rumbled aside. The marines however heard nothing, the suits were thickly insulated and only the vibrations of the traverse entered the suits as a damped rumbling. The large hatch was halfway open when the first splash of water shot out of it - The large ship was still heaving quite significantly it seemed. The first minisub, carrying command squad and squad 1 hovered in over the hole and stopped. After an eternity the sub started to sink, slowly, slowly into the led colored water below.

The feet entered the water and several of the marines flinched, prepared to feel the cold of water envelope them. But they felt nothing, water splashed on their visors from the churning water and suddenly they were below the surface in a swirl of bubbles. The world became murky and only a few meters away things started to blurr out. Above the surface seemed silvery on the sides of the massive carrier ship that looked like a gargantuan log from below. The submarine detached from the lever that sunk it into the ocean and the next submarine started its descent.

Five minutes later both submarines were hovering below the carrier. "Lights check" A lot of lights flicked on and off. "All good here..." Lt Moore said, unable to hide his nervousness in his voice.

Moore: "Com check all squads"

Simovic: " Command squad"

Kurosaki: " Squad 1 five by five"

Ishizawa: " Squad 2 reportin' in!"

Pitt: " Squad 3 loud and clear!"

Moore: " Ok good, lets see...video camera feed...looking good"

Moore: " Ok we are ready...let's go" Lt Moore concluded.

The two subs shuddered as they opened the valves to their ballast tanks and began to sink. Small bubbles told of fast they were descenting and the marines felt a sucking feeling in their stomach as they literally pummeled towards the ocean floor.

The lights disappeared very quick, after just a minute things got considerably darker. After five minutes it was pitch black.

Moore: "Lights on"

The submarines and suits enabled their lights.

Moore: "Six hundred meters and descending"

The marines suddenly lost all sense of movement as the last of the small bubbles disappeared. They hung in pitch black darkness. The suits started ticking slightly at one thousand meters from the immense pressure.

Moore: "The navy guys says that the ticking sound is the metal composites compressing, completely normal and nothing to worry about - In fact You should become more and more mobile now as the pressure increases on the suits joints.

The marines also started to feel the cold from the surrounding water, despite a warm flow of air ran down their backs from the life support unit.

Moore: Ok we have ten minutes to release. We will drop the last ten meters to the bottom - It is bedrock so we shouldn't get stuck.

<<actions>>

maxvale76
Chief Warrant Officer 3

Re: M1T5 - Descent to darkness

Post by maxvale76 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:23 pm

Samantha felt a strange combination of wonder and fear at the utter strangeness of the deep ocean....she imagined it was very much like being the first group of people on a strange new world.

Snapping out of it with the Comms Check; Sam made sure her suit and weapon were in good working order and said a quick prayer that this mission would go smoothly.

Quinn
First Lieutenant

Post by Quinn » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:12 pm

"...ran into corporates, and had a little taaaalk. We pushed 'em, we shoved 'em. We threw 'em in the ri-ver, we laughed as they droooowned." Quinn continued with the cadence after the checks with the equipment were finished. He kept his eyes on his HUD, watching the depth as they descended.

Apachetear
Second Lieutenant

Post by Apachetear » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:18 pm

Jacob was sweating in panic - he tried in vain to hide the abject terror in his eyes. This was his worst nightmare. Breathing in short shallow breaths, he then tried to make his breaths longer and deeper - before attempting to hold his breath instead...he tried breathing normally, relaxing he smiled.

Suddenly his chest tightened with panic and a desire for nicotine!

Hoping others wouldnt notice his distress he, closed his eyes and started humming to himself - placing him (in his minds eye) lying down in the stardeck of a spaceship and watching the galaxies whizz by...

Breathing more calmly he opened his eyes with a renewed vigour. ..

"Lets do things properly" he whispered, all the time trying to hold back the nervous shivers.

Obi
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Obi » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:26 pm

As the subs descended, Obi felt a growing fear in his belly start to grow. Its ok, nothing wrong with having a healthy amount of fear. Keeps you rom making silly mistakes. Obi told himself as they sunk deeper and deeper. Closing his eyes, he breathed deeply in and out trying to relax and lower his heart rate back to normal.

With his eyes closed, Obi tried to ignore the ticking sound the suits made as they contracted due to the immense pressure being stressed upon them. Keying his radio, Obi spoke softly into his headset.

"For the record, this is, quite possibly, the worst idea in the history of worst ideas."

<tag all>

Ranger2011
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Ranger2011 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:42 pm

"...ran into corporates, and had a little taaaalk. We pushed 'em, we shoved 'em. We threw 'em in the ri-ver, we laughed as they droooowned." Quinn continued with the cadence after the checks with the equipment were finished. He kept his eyes on his HUD, watching the depth as they descended.
Johnson sang the rest of the cadence with the man. It was a good way to keep up spirits, especially since they were over a thousand meters underwater in pitch black with suits that weren't as mobile as he'd hoped.
"For the record, this is, quite possibly, the worst idea in the history of worst ideas."
"Amen to that!" Johnson replied quietly over the comm. "If I make it back alive remind me to never go near water again."

<Tag Obi>

As they went deeper, Johnson started feeling a knot form in his stomach. Those bastards could be watching us right now, and we'd never know it. He thought to himself.

Altair
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Altair » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:12 pm

Altair was one of the marines who flinched as his feet touched the water. The man shivered, goose bumps slowly covering his body. All that mass of sea water was making him nervous and he was probably not the only one.
"...ran into corporates, and had a little taaaalk. We pushed 'em, we shoved 'em. We threw 'em in the ri-ver, we laughed as they droooowned."
The song was familiar to him but somehow the word drown at this particular moment was not the best one just as they descended deeper and deeper. Right now the boy knew that if he was separated from the rest of the platoon he would be lost forever. Even the lights from his suite did little to disperse the darkness that seemed to surround them, eager to envelop, like some sea monster.

Altair tried to drive away that particular thought but human mind was such a complex thing that the more you tried not to think about something the more you’re thought about it. Visions of big and bad sea kraken begun to appear, the beast was waiting just beyond their visions, looking for a good moment to strike. No that was silly - sonar would definitely see something that big and they would be warned. He was a marine, big and nasty marine at that - he was not scared of some silly octopus; he had enough firepower so send a couple of them to the maker.

Blood started to pump, as the man worked himself up, the feeling was great as the adrenaline made him battle ready. He wasn’t scared or nervous anymore he was eager to begin, even looking forward to some trouble.
Ok we have ten minutes to release. We will drop the last ten meters to the bottom - It is bedrock so we shouldn't get stuck.
‘Just in time’ thought the boy just as his eyes scanned the darkness, his mouth splitting into a vicious smile…

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:45 pm

Morse watched as they descended into the depths. He couldn't see much of anything as they went deeper and deeper. He came to the conclusion closing his eyes was the best option. He listened to the chatter over the com and wasn't in disagreement with much of it. Morse wanted to keep rocking like he had been, but the water was making that impossible.

"No arguments here. We're Colonial Marines dammit, aint sposed' to be goin down under water, this here's the opposite a what we should be doin. We should ask for hazard pay.... well more of it atleast. Morse said. He was serious about the statement, but knew it was an impossibility.

< Tag Obi and Ranger

Ranger2011
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Ranger2011 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:19 am

"No arguments here. We're Colonial Marines dammit, aint sposed' to be goin down under water, this here's the opposite a what we should be doin. We should ask for hazard pay.... well more of it atleast. Morse said. He was serious about the statement, but knew it was an impossibility.
Johnson laughed at the remark. "Yeah man, but with all this hazard pay ya think we'd be rich by now!" He shook his head in the suit and looked at his HUD. They were close to the bottom now and he shifted nervously. "But seriously fellas. I've got a bad feeling about this."

<Tag Morse, All>

Obi
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Obi » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:08 am

Morse wrote:
"No arguments here. We're Colonial Marines dammit, aint sposed' to be goin down under water, this here's the opposite a what we should be doin. We should ask for hazard pay.... well more of it atleast.

< Tag Obi and Ranger

Eyes closed, Obi smiled grimly at the demands Morse was making. "Hazard pay? To hell with that. Make our pay and combat pay tax free!" Obi said sardonically.

Well i am glad i am not the only one with doubts about this fucked up idea. Obi thought darkly.

"Lionmane, Johnson, how are you guys hanging in there?" Obi asked keying his radio.

<tag 2 Section>

Ranger2011
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Ranger2011 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:17 pm

"Lionmane, Johnson, how are you guys hanging in there?" Obi asked keying his radio.
"Oh you know me Obi, pissing in my suit but kickin' ass with my mouth. This feels so fucked up right now. I can't even put words to it. I wish we were back in the sewers man." He replied as he scanned the darkness for anything. Everything.

<Tag Obi>

(OOC-I'm at a high awareness level right now. So rolling for Perception at all times right now.)

Dirk Pitt
First Lieutenant

Post by Dirk Pitt » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:13 pm

Dirk watched as the last bit of light from the sun disappeared from sight. Now only the darkness of the deep ocean was around him. Everyone seemed to be in a good mood about this, but the stress was always there.

"Ok, I'm stuck in this damn thing and I can't figure out how to light my cigarett" He joked as he waited for game time
<Tag anyone>

Quinn
First Lieutenant

Post by Quinn » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:04 pm

Dirk Pitt wrote:Dirk watched as the last bit of light from the sun disappeared from sight. Now only the darkness of the deep ocean was around him. Everyone seemed to be in a good mood about this, but the stress was always there.

"Ok, I'm stuck in this damn thing and I can't figure out how to light my cigarette" He joked as he waited for game time
<Tag anyone>
"Consider this a forced test of willpower Sarge. It's not good to smoke a cigarette in an oxygen-rich atmosphere you know, so refrain from smoking until we're back on the surface. I'd rather not have the station explode around me." Quinn said, doing a check of his suit. "First squad, sound off and check your equipment. I don't want to hear anything about something being left back at base."

<tag dirk and first squad>

Dirk Pitt
First Lieutenant

Post by Dirk Pitt » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:49 pm

Quinn wrote: "Consider this a forced test of willpower Sarge. It's not good to smoke a cigarette in an oxygen-rich atmosphere you know, so refrain from smoking until we're back on the surface. I'd rather not have the station explode around me." Quinn said, doing a check of his suit. "First squad, sound off and check your equipment. I don't want to hear anything about something being left back at base."

Dirk laughed for a moment. "Now where's the fun in that? Hell, if it's too heep we'll be breathing helium oxy mix and we'll all sound like the chipmunks"
<Tag Quin>

Ranger2011
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Ranger2011 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:27 pm

Quinn wrote:
"Consider this a forced test of willpower Sarge. It's not good to smoke a cigarette in an oxygen-rich atmosphere you know, so refrain from smoking until we're back on the surface. I'd rather not have the station explode around me." Quinn said, doing a check of his suit. "First squad, sound off and check your equipment. I don't want to hear anything about something being left back at base."

Dirk laughed for a moment. "Now where's the fun in that? Hell, if it's too heep we'll be breathing helium oxy mix and we'll all sound like the chipmunks"
<Tag Quin>
Johnson laughed out loud, echoing through the comm. "Let's all sing a song after the helium kicks in. Oh and Sarge, if I figure out a way to light up, i'll let ya know." He laughed some more before going quiet once again.

Return to “USCM 2.0 - Hell On Earth Campaign”