Turn 3: Starting Out

The Devil Dawgs' sixth campaign.
wargamerGM
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Turn 3: Starting Out

Post by wargamerGM » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:23 am

The marines were directed out of the Briefing room and down a hallway to an armory where they could drawn their weapons and gear. Once equipped, they were passed through the Starforts embarkation chamber and into the descent car of the space elevator. They were strapped into G-couches and vid-screens showed a little animated presentation about how to access the emergency oxygen supply in case the cabin depressurized during the descent.

The space elevator ride took just over 10 minutes. 10, agonizing minutes during which the marines were crushed into there seats by a force of almost 4Gs before the car ignited it's breaking thrusters, slowed and came to rest with a slight jolt in its surface-side suspension cradle. The doors hissed open and a wash of cold air, heavy with the stench of dissipating exhaust fumes, flooded in as the G-Couch restraints unlocked and the marines stumbled out into the floodlit controlled chaos of the groundside loading docks.

Major Meyers had made the ride down with them and now she led them over to a hard-standing where 3 M242 APAC Light Transport's were waiting for the Devil Dawgs to embark.
APAC.jpg
APAC.jpg (24.27 KiB) Viewed 8240 times
"We've laid on some transport for you guys to get you to the WY compound and wherever else you need to go. They're fully fueled and armed and they all have comms with each other and the base here so you can keep us updated on your progress. Transport is like gold dust out here on the frontiers so please try to bring them back in one piece"

<Tag everyone>
MGySgt John Abrams
1st MSF, 2nd Div, 1st Batt 30th MIR
Serial Number: A11/TQ1.95.60390E9

LT_Chun
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: Turn 3: Starting Out

Post by LT_Chun » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:51 pm

Henniger rode out the "elevator" trip in stoic silence. He was glad to be on an Op that didn't require supplemental breathing apparatus for once.

Once they hit dirt, the familiar stench of diesel and AVgas assailed them. He moved through the throng and stood apart from the platoon.

"Third Team, circle up real quick!"
<tag Paulson, Sokolova, Williams>

"I know we got rushed to dirtside but get a quick gear check done and ping your beacons to mine. I don't know what we've got ahead, but you three are solid Marines and I've got your back no matter what happens on this trip. I won't leave you hanging and I expect the same." He smiled slightly. "We have a good team, watch your fire lanes and if you even smell a..." He dropped his voice significantly. "Xenos" he continued sub voco, "holler up on the team or general freq."
He pinged his three Marines on his wrist locator and got a quick radio check on their helmet headsets.
<Tag Third FT>

After he was satisfied with their quick prep he clicked over to Platoon Command.

"Third Team up."
<tag Harper and Sykes>
ImageLCPL. J. Henniger USCM
A11/TQ2.0.22146E1
U.S.S. Chimera
Recon Rifleman, Comtech electronics secondary
3rd FTL, Call Sign Devil Dawgs.

Armor and webbing
M41A Pulse Rifle + 7 mags
M40 Grenades x 10
Hand Welder
Service Pistol + 2 Mags
Mk. 1 Combat Knife
Rations/Water
Com-Tech Bypass Device
Image Image Image Image Image Image

eyeball
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by eyeball » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:40 am

Paulson quickly answered his squad ping and checked out the radio frequencies, the elevator trip had been a rush at first but soon wore thin as time under 4g went on and on, he stretched and tried to limber up before they all squeezed into what looked to be very small open top and only lightly armored vehicles.

"paulson here, reading you loud and clear"
ImageLCpl. Robert Paulson
incinerator, 2 spare fuel bottles, motion detector, first aid kit, pistol, knife, 2 frag.
special weapons tech
Image Image

maxvale76
Chief Warrant Officer 3

Post by maxvale76 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:07 am

Samantha thought it was interesting that her previous 'squad' (i.e. a 4 or 5 man detachment) now being called a 'Fire Team', but she shrugged and rolled with it....whatever you called them, they were good Marines.

Closing her eyes tightly, she held on tightly during the descent....she had ALWAYS hated drops....and when it was over, she QUICKLY got up and off and took some deep breathes. Happy to see the vehicles, she called out to her people; "Alright peoples, looks like we get to ride n' style. Grisham, Doc, Dmitri; you all doing good?", she asked with real concern in her eyes and voice. "Ain't nobody here a newbie no more, don't go feelin' like some'ting be wrong and not be saying some'ting.....trust your instincts."

<Tag 2nd Team>
ImageSGT Samantha "Sam" Hall

M41A Pulse Rifle

JuanPerez
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by JuanPerez » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:49 pm

After that ride down the space elevator, Daniela unstrapped herself, checked her combat equipment, especially the mobile terminal, twice and got out of the elevator quickly. She was smart enough to let her NCOs handle the basic checks for the team members, so she went over to Major Meyer.

"Understood, Major, Transport Vehicles will be brought back in one piece. I will keep you posted and check in every 15, Sir."
<Tag Mayor Meyer>

She salulted to Major Meyer and turned to Sergeant Mayor Sykes.

"Sergeant Mayor Sykes, let's get the party started. We are leaving in 20, get the platoon ready and assign the teams to our vehicles. I will transfer all tactictal data to the vehicles CPU. After that i want a full check of our communications. Move."
<Tag Sykes>
Game Master
————————————
Image 1st Lt Daniela Harper - Platoon CO
USCM Special Forces Recon Team
Serial Number A08/TQ3.0.45013E2
Image Image Image

M10 Pattern Balistic Helmet
M3 Pattern Personal Armor
M41A Pulse Rifle (6 Mags, 20 Grenades)
Service Pistol (2 Mags)
Combat Knife
Shoulder Lamp
Portable Command Terminal
M94 Marking Flares

Corporal Hicks
Major

Post by Corporal Hicks » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:01 pm

JuanPerez wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:49 pm"Sergeant Mayor Sykes, let's get the party started. We are leaving in 20, get the platoon ready and assign the teams to our vehicles. I will transfer all tactictal data to the vehicles CPU. After that i want a full check of our communications. Move."
<Tag Sykes>
"Yes, Ma'am," Sykes replied decisively. He stepped over to the vehicles and gave them a brief visual inspection. For all intents and purposes they were identical but the one on the left had numerous imperfections in the paint-job that gave it a bumpy appearance. The Sergeant Major smirked at some joke running through his head. Then he turned to his platoon and barked in his best gruff NCO roar. "Okay, people! I want one fireteam to a car. First Squad, you can have Lumpy over here. I saved her just for you, Morse. You know what to do. Get yourselves stowed and run down the checklists. I want a full check of our communications before we move out." He clapped his hands to punctuate the order.
<Tag Marines>
ImageSgtMaj. Danny Sykes - Platoon NCO
Serial Number: D26/TQ6.3.48412E9

Medic Guy
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Medic Guy » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:04 pm

Clint grabbed his gear from his locker and loaded up his weaponry from the armory. He stowed everything away in the space elevator, taking care to make sure his sniper rifle and scope were securely snug. He got into his couch and strapped in for the ride. When the descent began, he felt the sudden shift in acceleration and closed his eyes, breathing slowly. The force made his breathing more labored than it had been. Upon landing at the surface, Clint grabbed his gear and started pulling his pack on.

He heard Sykes call for first to take "Lumpy" and began heading in that direction with the squad after syncing up his locator and communications frequency with the squad and platoon channels. He looked to the other members of first and guessed he'd probably fit a little better in the back or on turret duty than up front given his stature.
ImageCorporal Clint McKenna
Serial Number: L69/EA5.2.31782M9

Image Image Image

Pvt. Isabel Orozco - Rifleman; formerly of the U.S.S. Shiloh Marine Detachment, currently on public relations campaign.
Private Dave Halbert - unknown location

lordstrand
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lordstrand » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:05 am

Davros walked onto the space elevator legs a little shakey. God he hated these things, always reminded him of those stupid kids rides that dropped you out of the air. He could handle the drops into atmo in a ship, I mean they moved foward and down, these big ass things just go straight down to hell. He got all his medic gear locked down and fastened himself into the deathtrap that was his seat. He pulled out an anti-nausea pill, it would help keep his insides from becoming outside. Puke in a rapid decent would just mean everyone wore a nice healthy chunk and no one wanted that shit.

He turned to the marine next to him "This pill makes you smaller, and this one makes you tall." as he popped them into his mouth and swallowed. Always trying to make himself laugh to forget the drop that was about to happen.

After what seemed like an eternity with his eyes closed they came to a stop at the bottom. He unbuckled himself and stumbled for the first few steps out of the chair. "Please make sure you tray tables are in an upright and locked position, make sure to assist children before yourself." He chuckled as he stumbled and finally gained his proper footing.

He found squad lead Samantha when they exited the elevator. "Alright peoples, looks like we get to ride n' style. Grisham, Doc, Dmitri; you all doing good?" She said to her fellow marines. "All duckies boss." Davros replied through a giant shit eating grin and giving a thumbs up, while still trying not to puke. Samantha's face had genuine concern written on it as she said "Ain't nobody here a newbie no more, don't go feelin' like some'ting be wrong and not be saying some'ting.....trust your instincts." "I'm sorry MaM did you just give me permission to talk, sweet. I call shotgun. Do I get to pick the radio station? Levity....in his opinion life's only saving grace. He rambled off all that while syncing up with his squad and platoon's comm channels. He made sure that the platoon one was muted, no need to make Sykes pissed again. He flicked on his locator and made sure it was working properly. "Really wish I had an Idea of what the facility looked like, I hate going to a party and not know where uninvited guests might be hiding." He knew the facility was well beyond classified but he still couldn't help grumbling about it.
Image LCpl. Strand Davros - Medic
Serial Number: S35/TQ9.4.48100E2

wargamer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by wargamer » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:43 am

Daren dug his fingers into the arms of his G-couch, as the space elevator hurtled groundward, and tried to concentrate on not throwing up his breakfast all over his combat boots.
"Don't be silly" a traitorous little part of his mind told him "If you hurl now it's won't hit your shoes. It'll just wobble out in freefall!"
There was a sudden jolt of deceleration accompanied by an increase in both the vibration and the noise as the braking thrusters ignited and the crushing G-forces began to ease up mercifully.

The fairground ride from hell finally came to an end with a last vindictive jolt of contact and the elevator doors swung open, admitting the sights and sounds of a busy spacedock.
Darren hit the quick releases on his restraint harness, leapt to his feet and sprinted for the doors, just making it outside and to a conveniently vacant corner before heaving his guts up onto the bonded ferracrete floor of the loading dock.
After about a minute he trusted his stomach enough to straighten up and pay some attention to his surroundings. Some one was talking on his headset.

"Okay, people! I want one fireteam to a car. First Squad, you can have Lumpy over here. I saved her just for you, Morse. You know what to do. Get yourselves stowed and run down the checklists. I want a full check of our communications before we move out."

Darren took a swig of water from his camelback, checked that his rifle, medkit and other gear were still properly stowed about his person after his headlong flight from the elevator car and jogged back across the hard-standing to join his team by their assigned vehicle. He nodded to SSgt Morse to show his head was now fully in the game.

"All set boss. Do you want me in the back or on the turret?"

<Tag Morse>
ImagePFC Darren 'Doc' Kelly - Medic
Serial Number: D44/TQ9.21.47645E2
Current Equipment
M-41A Pulse Rifle w/ 4 Mags
M4A3 Pistol w/ 2 Mags
K-52 Field Medical Pack
2x M-18 Smoke Grenades (Red)
6x M-94 Flares
2x K-Bar Combat/Survival Knives

BarbarianMathematics
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by BarbarianMathematics » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:23 am

Having heard the call to get supplied, Sokolova went quickly to go get her gear and combat boots at the ready and supplied herself with her current marksman load out. Having heard Henniger's orders, she tested out the headset, making sure it synced up correctly as well as making sure the wrist locator was set up.

"Yes sir! Will do," she added, making sure to load up the main rifle, switching it to safety, while getting her other sidearms ready, including finding random pockets to stash the magazines she would be carrying. "One more thing sir. You let me know when to set up the scope, da? Works just as good as binoculars, but hits much harder."
<Tag Henniger>

"Also make sure we don't get hit, da? Nie like we have a designated medic on our team, but I bring kit just in case," she added, finishing stocking up on her equipment and putting the two rifles she had at her side.
<Tag Third FT>
ImageLCpl. Tanya Sokolova
Image Image

Corporal Nikolai Pushkin - ComTech
(Currently recovering)

LT_Chun
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by LT_Chun » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:46 pm

Henniger and Third were moving to the remaining vehicle when Sokolova spoke up on the squad freq.

"Roger good call on both. You sit rear window and go ahead and get your kit ready if you think you can hit while on the move. And hey, welcome back."
<Tag Sokolova>

"Paulson, you're driving, Digger get up in the turret but stay seated unless we stop or you see something worth shooting at. If something blows on the roadside I want your eyebrows under the lip of the turret gunnel. While Lcpl. Sokolova gets her kits stowed and the long rifle set up, let's the rest of us PMCS this truck and get familiar while we can."
<Tag Paulson and Digger>

They stowed their gear and began checking over the truck.
A11/TQ2.0.22146E1
U.S.S. Chimera

Armor and webbing
M40 Grenades x 10
Hand Welder
Service Pistol + 2 Mags
Mk. 1 Combat Knife
Rations/Water
Com-Tech Bypass Device

Morse
Captain

Post by Morse » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:22 pm

The ride up had not been a problem for Morse. The extreme pressure, shifting, and rocking had never caused issues for him. Motion sickness could get him every once in a while but there was nothing much to see on the elevator. The hypersleep was what did him in everytime, and once passed that he'd be ready to go. The latest evaluations placed him at a moderately healthy status, so he was not so worried about his general constitution.

They were brought to find the latest transportation. Morse had seen them before, but not for some time. Morse wanted to drive, but understood that his latest configuration would not allow it. A peace mission it may have been, as they always were, but Morse was no longer going in for anything less than a full fight to death against an army. It was just becoming too dangerous out in the colonies and he was sick of finding himself as unprepared as he had been in early days.

"Lumpy." Morse thought looking at the vehicle.

"Burstin' with excitement to git' it rollin' Sarn't Major." Morse answered to Sykes. "Might even' git 'er some more bumps on the way."

<Tag Sykes

Morse looked on to 1st, they were already eagerly eying up placement. "Doc, you're in back. Mckenna, your on the gun. Rack n' stack anything that comes on us with intent to kill." Morse ordered as he moved to the passenger seat at the front. "McCarther, your drivin'... don't kill us."

<Tag Mckenna and Kelly

Morse loaded in with his obscene amount of equipment and prepared to roll out.

<Tag Anyone
Image-SSG Allen Morse - Squad Leader
-3rd Bn, 2nd Reg, 1st Co, 8th Plt
- DEVIL DAWG
- M41A Pulse Rifle - M4 Pistol - Med Kit
Image Image Image Image

eyeball
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by eyeball » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:26 am

"I'm driving ,roger that",Paulson replied.
Jumping into the front seat he ran trough system checks and checked for positions of switches and layout of gears, nothing out of the ordinary jumped out at him and he turned the engine over, it roared into life then settled to a more stable background hum as the RPM's dropped. the on board electronics came to life man this thing had done some distance, "all systems green, good to go"Paulson reported over the squad net.
ImageLCpl. Robert Paulson
incinerator, 2 spare fuel bottles, motion detector, first aid kit, pistol, knife, 2 frag.
special weapons tech
Image Image

LT_Chun
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by LT_Chun » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:59 am

"Roger," Henniger said into his mic to Paulson from the commanders seat. He was running systems checks on the two data slates mounted to the dash. One was a vehicle controls and readout system of all three trucks, the other was a satellite-fed map and com system.
On the second system he was able to access friend and foe positions and also limited access to the ships in orbit. The destination glowed a brighter shade of green on their route.

He toggled Sykes' private channel.

"Sergeant Major, found the grunts on our route, map reference MB24063724."
<tag Sykes>
A11/TQ2.0.22146E1
U.S.S. Chimera

Armor and webbing
M40 Grenades x 10
Hand Welder
Service Pistol + 2 Mags
Mk. 1 Combat Knife
Rations/Water
Com-Tech Bypass Device

BarbarianMathematics
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by BarbarianMathematics » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:23 pm

"Da, consider it done. And thank you. It's good to be back," Tanya replied in response to Henniger.
<Tag Henniger>

Preparing the M42A for combat by putting on a silencer barrel attachment to dampen the noise in case she did have to use it, she proceeded to get into position so she could see what was going from the outside. Once she got it fully assembled and set to the side, she made sure to get the medic's kit out of her bag and strapped to her for easy access just in case she needed to use it. If if came to the worst case scenario, at least she took a roll of military tape she commandeered that she could use to make a makeshift medic's bag on her armor or at the very worst, use the military tape and some cloth to make fast slings or bandages, but hoped it didn't come to that as she had some other uses in mind she wanted to try with the tape.

In either case, once all the other preparations were ready and she was thoroughly positioned for looking 'down range' outside for any potential threats, she readied the rifle, putting the scope up to her eye, though muttered to Paulson, "Shout if you go to make sudden stops. I nie want black eye."
<Tag Paulson>
ImageLCpl. Tanya Sokolova
Image Image

Corporal Nikolai Pushkin - ComTech
(Currently recovering)

Return to “Aquarius Campaign”